Forum

FXpansion Forum

Roland V Drums Lite HD3 Keymap

All about how to use edrums with BFD / BFD2

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

claybo75

Roland V Drums Lite HD3 Keymap

Postby claybo75 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi there, Im wondering if anyone has created a good keymap for the Roland V Drums Lite HD3? Ive created a map, but the various velocity layers are not sounding great and the sound is a bit 2 dimensional when compared to the HD3 module. Thanks a lot!

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 am

Greetings,

I tried that kit last month at PASIC. The thing about really inexpensive eKits is that it can be difficult to get a good response because the set doesn't transmit the kind of detail needed. Internal sounds are compensated, but the outgoing MIDI is not.

Here are two things you can try to get better response.
1. Adjust the velocity curves on the keymapping page. This can help some.
2. Slide the Vel-Amp slider over to the right on the KPI section for each articulation.

These two should give you a little better performance. You also want to make sure that your sensitivity (gain) settings are not too high.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out. If I can get my hands on one of those kits in the near future I will work on a preset.

John

claytonbowles

Postby claytonbowles » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:31 am

Gday John,

Thanks for those tips! Definitely made a difference. One thing, how do I adjust the gain? I got the velocity on each kit piece to around the 100 - 110 mark and set that curve a little to the right which is making the kit sound a lot more natural. Not quite 100% just yet but Ill get there.

Ive just built myself a Hackintosh machine with an Intel i5 3570, 16GB RAM, running OSX Mountain Lion specifically for BFD and for Logic Expresss so I can work on demo's at home. Initially, I had a problem with Logic saying I was out of RAM when trying to load a kit within the BFD AU plugin, but I worked out how to set Logic to open in 64 bit mode and now Im loading a 9GB kit directly to RAM and its working beautifully!

The Roland kit is really nice, Im very happy with it. I am actually looking at a TD 6 module on Ebay at the moment. I noticed there are presets in BFD for that one, would it make a big difference to the playability having the TD 6 rather than my current one?

Thanks,
Clayton

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:57 pm

You can use the MIDI log in BFD2 to see what the values are coming from the TD3. You could also use MIDI Monitor, a free program. The gain settings will be in the Roland unit. You want to see a wide velocity range with a smooth response. I doubt that it will be that good with the TD3. In general, a slightly bett module will have bett MODI performance.

Happy Holidays.
John

nathanimal

Postby nathanimal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:09 am

After spending way too much time guessing my way around things, and thinking that FXpansion made BFD3 way too damn complicated, I finally opened up the manual, turned to the section on key mapping, and got to work understanding how the software can work with my HD-3's MIDI messages. So I have attached a keymap for the HD-3 that suits my playing needs. You owe it to yourself to read the manual, especially the section on key mapping for electronic drum kits. You may want to tweak what I have done to suit your playing style or needs.

This keymap is for BFD3.

nathanimal

Postby nathanimal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:13 am

My apologies. Looks like I can't upload my keymap here. You may download it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/196 ... -3.bfd3map

Put in /Users/~User/Documents/FXpansion/BFD3/Maps

That should save you a couple of hours.

studio770

Re: Roland V Drums Lite HD3 Keymap

Postby studio770 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:11 am

Hi.
Does anyone have this Keymap available? The link is dead. Sorry to revive this topic from the dead, but I just bought a HD3 and would love to set it up with BFD3 with a minimum of fuss. Thanks in advance!

purtington

Postby purtington » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:41 am

studio770 wrote:Hi.
Does anyone have this Keymap available? The link is dead. Sorry to revive this topic from the dead, but I just bought a HD3 and would love to set it up with BFD3 with a minimum of fuss. Thanks in advance!

I would PM nathanimal if you haven't already?

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

studio770

Postby studio770 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:59 pm