"How To" on playing brush grooves with an E Kit - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

"How To" on playing brush grooves with an E Kit

All about how to use edrums with BFD / BFD2

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

"How To" on playing brush grooves with an E Kit

Postby john emrich » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:57 am

Brushes are an art form. It is one of the toughest things to attempt with electronics, but here is a way to get a usable result.

Here is a link to my Youtube page. Watch the BFD2 Brushes video. http://www.youtube.com/user/johnemrich

With a little practice, this does work for MIDI recording and live playing.

It will never replace a real master of brushes, but it is fun and worth trying.

Hope this helps,
John

RigbyT

Postby RigbyT » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Nice man,

Your setup looks great. is it not possible to hook up a quality video of your Kit with BFD 2 to show of some of the sensitivity and feel. (mayb with your own samples, or Jim scott pack?)

Would be awesome jst to hear it. if u could jst stream the audio without the sound of the pads thru.!

jst a suggestion!!!
umm...TD-12/ intel PX48 quad core 2.4. /4 gigs DDR2 ram.
BFD 2 / Protools 7.1 / digidesign eleven/ i dislike computers other than the fact that i can do music with them. i hope there are no computers in heaven.okay mayb macs wud be cool there.

NickCesarz

Re: "How To" on playing brush grooves with an E Kit

Postby NickCesarz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:02 pm

This is absolutely an extremely old post. That being said, I think it is very worthy of bumping back up. Thanks for sharing.

You are able to get a great sounding "jazz" kit out of an electronic drum set, but it is unfortunate that there's no way to replicate the brush playing technique. Have there been any advancements with newer drum kits or modules? I'd really be curious to know if so.

In theory, you could still "practice" brush technique on your e kit, but I don't think you'd be able to stir the soup quite as well. :|

Edit: Found a video from 65 Drums talking about brushes. Seems like they really only work okay. The TD-30 actually has a brush mode, but I think it only ups the sensitivity of each pad. I also wouldn't want to use metal brushes on mesh drum heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMejGennak&t=180s

Return to “Edrumming with BFD”