People having BFD2 issues please check this first. - Page 10 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

People having BFD2 issues please check this first.

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Joe-Trojan

Postby Joe-Trojan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 am

Whats up with not being able to utilise a half decent amount of RAM?

i7 860, 4gig installed (3.6gig usable), XP32 bit with most of the latest patches, Cubase 5.5.0, BFD2.2.1 + BOMB

I load up a kit and it gets anywhere between 1.5 and 2.0gig of total system ram used and I get the alert message "You have run out of RAM blah blah"

So I put it on 16 bit and lower the velocity layers, doesn't help, only by keeping RAM usage very very low by selecting "Load on demand" can I avoid the problem, that works for now, but I have Cubase sessions that use 1.5 to 2.0 gig by themselves without BFD2 so how it it possible to use most of the RAM that I have? 3.0gig usable would get me out of trouble.

BFD2 seems to work fine in stand alone mode, no RAM problems there. Below are screenshots of a typical scenario and settings, all within Cubase:

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am

Hi,

Your 3Gb window includes Cubase, so you'll run out of memory faster than you will in stand-alone.

Also, your stream and RAM buffers are way too high. Try 4096 or 8192. That will lower your memory overhead, and the cost of CPU load.

-Rob.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

Joe-Trojan

Postby Joe-Trojan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Those are only methods to limit RAM use, not ways to use the RAM that I have. I am not hitting anywhere near 3gig, the max I can hit is 2gig at the best of times, the screenshots I gave shows a 1.74 gig of ram used when it threw the alarm and stopped loading, the entire system with a Cubase session with the other plugins etc (not BFD2) sits at about 1gig, so that would be approx 0.74 gig used by BFD2 alone, which realy is not very much.

I tried again just then with a lower buffer and it stopped loading at a used system RAM of 2.0gig. CPU load is not an issue.

And a correction, my largest Cubase session to date (without BFD2 loaded) is 1.7gig for entire system.

Is there a RAM limit well below 3gig caused by Cubase? I saw in this thread that another DAW has a RAM limit with a 32bit OS, at about 2 gig, just like I am experiencing.

BTW the product kicks some serious arse.

Joe-Trojan

Postby Joe-Trojan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:22 am

I've looked into it further, and I don't think it has anything to do with BFD2 and everything to do with XP32. This also explains fxpansions reluctance to offer any advice apart from limiting RAM use as it is not fxpansions problem.

There is a mod to do to the boot.ini file, Google "/3GB" for the specifics, but it basically opens up another gig of ram within XP32bit. So instead of having problems around 1.7-2gig, now it limits to 2.7-3gig total ram usage.

gganz@pretool.com

Postby gganz@pretool.com » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm

A problem I'm having with BFD2 with PT 7 LE:

BFD2 works great as a stand alone, but it crashes PT 7 when I try to use it as a plug-in.

When I open BFD2 as a stand alone, the Digidesign ASIO driver is in place when looking at the MIDI/IO pulldown. The MIDI IN and MIDI OUT settings are both set to MBox 2. When I attempt to use it as a plug-in with PT, PT crashes. If I go back to using it as a stand alone before rebooting, the ASIO driver is no longer present in the MIDI/IO menu, and it also no longer gives the option of using the MBox 2 as the MIDI OUT. When I reboot and open as a stand alone after rebooting, the driver is again present, but I have to select it (a checkmark appears). It then allows me to select the MBox 2 as the MIDI OUT again.

I realize the Digidesign ASIO driver is loaded when installing PT. I have tried downloading and installing the ASIO4ALL driver, but nothing changes. All my other plug-ins work very well, including some heavy ones like MOTU Electric Keys and Sonivox Eighty-Eight. I have already opened a support ticket, and they are working on it, but I'm hoping someone out there has experienced this and can offer quick resolution. Thanks for any and all help.

Geoff

maxbakerhytch

Postby maxbakerhytch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 am

BFD2 layers lost during wave export (with Cubase)

Hi there, I'm having difficulties exporting BFD2 properly with Cubase. I'm running an admittedly slightly older version of Cubase (LE4), but in principle I doubt that should matter. Basically, BFD2 is sounding beautiful -- with maximum layers loaded -- when I'm using it within my mix in Cubase, but then I export the track I've been working on to a wave file and when listening back to the wave file it appears that many of the layers have been ditched so that it barely sounds better than a demo version of Groove Agent that I used to use. The lack of layers is especially noticeable with the cymbals, which sound like they're being prematurely choked, even though that's not at all how I played it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

DrNewcenstein

Postby DrNewcenstein » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

rob_fx wrote:Hi,

Your 3Gb window includes Cubase, so you'll run out of memory faster than you will in stand-alone.

Also, your stream and RAM buffers are way too high. Try 4096 or 8192. That will lower your memory overhead, and the cost of CPU load.

-Rob.

That's how mine came set up after installation (16384 for both).
I thought it was minimum recommendation.

The problem I've been having is that OH, Room, and Amb3 tracks, as well as any individual kit piece that has bleed from other kit pieces, come out with a robotic/metallic distortion when I export (Export Drum Track Audio or Export Groove Audio), even with all the Trims cut back to well below peaking. Only if I mute every other kit piece except the one I'm exporting can I avoid it.
I lose a great deal of room ambience, though.

The Master track comes out fine, and it's easier to just add the extra Snare Top or Kick In in my DAW if I need a bit more of those rather than go back and tweak it in the BFD2 Standalone mix, but when they come out distorted.

I tried once before to install the 2.2.2.3 patch, but it changed me over to 2.2 Demo (banner at the top of the app once it's loaded), and crashed a lot.
So I reinstalled, and only just yesterday did I try the 2.2.2.3 patch again.

At first it appeared to be resolved, but there was still some minor issue with the Settings (changed from "Preferences" to "Audio/MIDI" and now I've got way too many options), so I installed the 2.3.0.15 beta but my top banner still shows 2.2.2 build 3, and I'm gettig "sparkly crackles" in all my tracks, even with Gains set to almost inaudible.

BFD reports it's using 745 MB RAM, with an overall PF usage of 1.46 GB (currently BFD 2, Audition 3, and Internet Explorer running). While I.E. running is a bad idea, normally I don't have it running when I'm using BFD2, but since I can't type this up and detail the problem without all of it running....

System specs:
nVidia/XFX 630i/7100 Mobo with 800MHz DDR2 fsb
XP Pro SP3
Intel Pentium D 3.20/3.20 dual-core CPU
3GB RAM
2048 MB PageFile
Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum Pro soundcard (external card with breakout box) and Creative ASIO drivers (tried ASIO-4-All and it's just not gonna work)

OS is on an internal SATA drive, BFD 2 is on an external USB drive, Audio is on another external USB drive (3 physically separate drives). I'm not running any vsts.

Misterbu

Issues between BFD2 and Cubase sx

Postby Misterbu » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:14 am

Hi there, I have two questions regarding a problem between BFD2 and Cubase sx…

The simptoms are:
when BFD2 is opened as vst instrument it appears in the list’s slot, but on a Cubase midi channel it appears listed only in the midi in option, not at all in the midi out…also

Double midi leds ( the red and green of in and out ) in Cubase transport panel are both lit when try to play a sound from the controller
Sounds from the kit window comes out if I poke the drums or create a groove ( don't know how to load them yet…)
note that:
1- BFD2 works fine as standalone, with a master keyboard as controller or the td-6 module ( and that’s great, I love it.. )
2- Cubase works fine as usual with other virtual instruments
3- When in standalone mode I open the audio or midi preferences button ( the top left ) the midi preferences in bfd2 lists as input devices : mpu-401 and firepod midi in ( latter is the active soundcard ) the output devices as : Microsoft midi mapper, firepod midi out, mpu 401, Microsoft gs …..
I tried all possible combinations but it seems it doesn't change a thing.
4- Midi filters are inactive, midi thru checked

I have been reading quite some posts already but I couldn't figured that out yet

Thank you in advance

Mr. Bu
Still using unfortunately?:
Windows xp home edition SP3 1.91 GHz 3 Gb ram
Cubase sx 2.2

rksguit

Re: BFD2 sound problem

Postby rksguit » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:45 am

efon79 wrote:
chepecaster wrote:hey guys, I recently purchased BFD2 and installed it in a new computer with enough memory, but I can't get any sound out. I alwys get this message

Audio Error[#2] - couldn't open the audio stream. Perhaps another application is using the card?

So I'm using a Presonus Firebox as my interface. Please help me, someone?

I'm having the same problem!!!! Really anoying!!! Reisntalled BFD 2 like 4 times!!!!

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.00 GHz
2 GB RAM

Same here NO SOUND,had to do 4x6hour downloads blah blah,but the most annoying thing was the TOTAL CONFUSION over installing the "UPDATE FIRST"!!!!! email instructions not clear,something like INSTALL "UPDATE" 2.2 or 2.3 FIRST!!!!Istead of INSTAL INSTALLER FIRST which for 2 days I naturally thought was PART 1 of the .rar file NOT the UPDATE .ZIP!!! to a SUITable Location?? I only use 1x1TB drive,WHAT does "Suitable Location mean?Perhaps this would have saved 2 days of fuking about,unbelieveable The Manual is just as much fun! I got SSD 4 running even though I had to use Win RAR MANUALLY!!.Anyway all is installed,all is Authorised,OPEN SONAR,load BFD2 in 32 OR 64 successfully to a SONAR "Instrument Track" AND NO SOUND.,My Keyrig 49 is triggeringnotes[After I "split the instrument track to SEE a MIDI track and the meters go up,but NO SOUND getting to MASTER or SOUNDCARD out!!! ALL OTHER SYNTHS LOAD and get SOUND EVERY TIME,EVERY SESSION-BOTH MACHINES!!!.......NOT BFD2. SSD4 rocks,why did I waste 149USD???? P.S. No meters now,yet I load cakewalks Studio Drums-INSTANT SOUND.There should be a disclaimer-"Unless you like pissing about forever,don't buy this software! UGGGHHH.

i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz SONAR x1d Expanded Only use 64bit,but Iv'e tried both -no Dice.Laptop i7 2630qm SONAR X!D Expanded. Windows 7 64 Why would "Everything Else work",and not BFD after successfully Authorising,Loading??? So much time wasted on this. :evil: :evil: :evil:

DrNewcenstein

Re: Issues between BFD2 and Cubase sx

Postby DrNewcenstein » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Misterbu wrote:Hi there, I have two questions regarding a problem between BFD2 and Cubase sx…

The simptoms are:
when BFD2 is opened as vst instrument it appears in the list’s slot, but on a Cubase midi channel it appears listed only in the midi in option, not at all in the midi out…also

Unless I'm mistaken, this should be correct. MIDI In is where MIDI data is coming FROM (i.e. BFD). MIDI Out is where it's going TO from Cubase (i.e. calling to an external device like a rack synth or one on a stand to trigger that hardware device to play a sample/note).

Although I do suppose a MIDI drum track generated in Cubase should play through BFD when used as a plugin. Try routing your MIDI drum track in Cubase to Channel 10, which is the default Drum channel for the General MIDI spec. Also set BFD's MIDI options to match (i.e. get it off Omni and set it to Channel 10).

Double midi leds ( the red and green of in and out ) in Cubase transport panel are both lit when try to play a sound from the controller
Sounds from the kit window comes out if I poke the drums or create a groove ( don't know how to load them yet…)

Click the Grooves tab at the top (the note on the stave icon) and you will be presented with the options to Open a palette (collection of Grooves in a given style), Open a single Groove (one pattern of a given style from a palette), or to create your own.

note that:
1- BFD2 works fine as standalone, with a master keyboard as controller or the td-6 module ( and that’s great, I love it.. )
2- Cubase works fine as usual with other virtual instruments
3- When in standalone mode I open the audio or midi preferences button ( the top left ) the midi preferences in bfd2 lists as input devices : mpu-401 and firepod midi in ( latter is the active soundcard ) the output devices as : Microsoft midi mapper, firepod midi out, mpu 401, Microsoft gs …..
I tried all possible combinations but it seems it doesn't change a thing.
4- Midi filters are inactive, midi thru checked

I have been reading quite some posts already but I couldn't figured that out yet

Thank you in advance

Mr. Bu
Still using unfortunately?:
Windows xp home edition SP3 1.91 GHz 3 Gb ram
Cubase sx 2.2

Check your Windows Audio Mixer and see if your desired Playback option (whatever channel normally routes to your speakers/monitors/headphones/etc) is muting automatically. Adobe Audition 3 has this quirk that will mute my default instrument Input channel when I hit Record or Playback, even though the card is running in Full Duplex mode. Since no option exists in my DAW for that to happen, it's some sort of conflict with Windows itself.

DrNewcenstein

Postby DrNewcenstein » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm

rksguit wrote:Same here NO SOUND,had to do 4x6hour downloads blah blah,but the most annoying thing was the TOTAL CONFUSION over installing the "UPDATE FIRST"!!!!! email instructions not clear,something like INSTALL "UPDATE" 2.2 or 2.3 FIRST!!!!Istead of INSTAL INSTALLER FIRST which for 2 days I naturally thought was PART 1 of the .rar file NOT the UPDATE .ZIP!!! to a SUITable Location?? I only use 1x1TB drive,WHAT does "Suitable Location mean?Perhaps this would have saved 2 days of fuking about,unbelieveable The Manual is just as much fun! I got SSD 4 running even though I had to use Win RAR MANUALLY!!.Anyway all is installed,all is Authorised,OPEN SONAR,load BFD2 in 32 OR 64 successfully to a SONAR "Instrument Track" AND NO SOUND.,My Keyrig 49 is triggeringnotes[After I "split the instrument track to SEE a MIDI track and the meters go up,but NO SOUND getting to MASTER or SOUNDCARD out!!! ALL OTHER SYNTHS LOAD and get SOUND EVERY TIME,EVERY SESSION-BOTH MACHINES!!!.......NOT BFD2. SSD4 rocks,why did I waste 149USD???? P.S. No meters now,yet I load cakewalks Studio Drums-INSTANT SOUND.There should be a disclaimer-"Unless you like pissing about forever,don't buy this software! UGGGHHH.

i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz SONAR x1d Expanded Only use 64bit,but Iv'e tried both -no Dice.Laptop i7 2630qm SONAR X!D Expanded. Windows 7 64 Why would "Everything Else work",and not BFD after successfully Authorising,Loading??? So much time wasted on this. :evil: :evil: :evil:

What .RAR file? Does BFD now come in a downloadable version? I'm confused.

"Suitable location" means "not on a flash drive that can't hold it", or "install it to where your BFD2.exe is installed".

"Install this first" means "install the main application, then install the patch before running BFD2 for the first time".
I think.

As above, set BFD's MIDI channel to 10, and Sonar should already be set to the General MIDI standard (i.e. MIDI drums on Channel 10)

rksguit

Postby rksguit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 am

efon79 wrote:
chepecaster wrote:hey guys, I recently purchased BFD2 and installed it in a new computer with enough memory, but I can't get any sound out. I alwys get this message

Audio Error[#2] - couldn't open the audio stream. Perhaps another application is using the card?

So I'm using a Presonus Firebox as my interface. Please help me, someone?

I'm having the same problem!!!! Really anoying!!! Reisntalled BFD 2 like 4 times!!!!

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2.00 GHz
2 GB RAM

rksguit

Postby rksguit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:54 am

EVen This forum confuses me.

ALL is OK now.

For mine to work YOU MUST INSTALL the 2.2 2.3 Patch EXE FIRST ......NOT the installer[like the email confuses you into thinking]

The pathway was all screwed,mine kept going to "My Documents " even though I knew it was supposed to be x86 Programs FXpansion Very weird.

IT seems ok now BUT........FIFTY GIGABYTES of .wav's and ONLY 57MB of grooves??? WAY unbalanced.

A very trying 3 days.

purtington

Postby purtington » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am

rksguit wrote:
IT seems ok now BUT........FIFTY GIGABYTES of .wav's and ONLY 57MB of grooves??? WAY unbalanced.

A very trying 3 days.

A groove file is a about 10 to 20 kilobytes whereas a 20bit wave file with a 128 velocity layers for say, "the snare"
can be up to 2GB.
I'll let you do the math but to say it is way out of balance suggests you need to read up about file types and sizes.

I think there are around 5000 groves that come with BFD2. You can buy groove packs from various other sources.
You can import any midi groove (but you may need to remap them) from any source including all the ones that come with sonar and session drummer.
You could of course do like I do and never go near a groove and learn to role your own.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

jozza800

Postby jozza800 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

Hi,

I have just purchased the downloadable version of BFD2. I am having some issues with the installation.

I am at Instruction 4 of the guide in the email. I am running the Data_installer.part1

The problem is that it is unpacking the files to a temporary folder, which appears to be on my C drive. My C drive is my SSD OS drive and only has 8GB free space, so the install stops at part3, due to lack of space.

How can I force the installer to create the temp file on one of my storage HDDs?

Thanks

Return to “BFD2”