People having BFD2 issues please check this first. - Page 11 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

People having BFD2 issues please check this first.

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

purtington

Postby purtington » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

jozza800 wrote:Hi,

I have just purchased the downloadable version of BFD2. I am having some issues with the installation.

I am at Instruction 4 of the guide in the email. I am running the Data_installer.part1

The problem is that it is unpacking the files to a temporary folder, which appears to be on my C drive. My C drive is my SSD OS drive and only has 8GB free space, so the install stops at part3, due to lack of space.

How can I force the installer to create the temp file on one of my storage HDDs?

Thanks

You might try copying the installer files to your storage drive and installing them from there?
This is merely a guess.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

jozza800

Postby jozza800 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks for the reply.

Ive actually figured it out. It was extracting them to the normal Windows Temp folder. I just moved this folder to one of my storage Hdds

Oliver1977

Bfd 2 first start chaos

Postby Oliver1977 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 pm

hello guys,

just bought bfd2 and deluxe expansion for my brand new win7 8GB ram SSD ect. So enough power.
I realy like your product, sound is awsome but installation and first start is a mess.

I had problems with:

bfd dedected virtuale file at etcetc. where da hell should i find what to delete and what exactly. i double checked some post inside that forum. But couldn't solved that problem. this dialog doesnt appear when i run it as admin. but that couldnt be the solution.

if i edit my drums and press play it doesnt start playing.

if i click on a drum after i loaded the intire set properly and clicked on that drum, i hear nothing.

Im close to uninstall the programm completly in order to reinstall it, but that could be the solution.

its no option to walk through the total forum in order to solve all these problem. sorry guys, i ask you kindly to give me a step by step instruction to get that 300€ program running.

Thanks
oliver

purtington

Re: Bfd 2 first start chaos

Postby purtington » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm

Oliver1977 wrote:hello guys,

just bought bfd2 and deluxe expansion for my brand new win7 8GB ram SSD ect. So enough power.
I really like your product, sound is awesome but installation and first start is a mess.

I had problems with:

bfd detected virtual file at etc.. where da hell should i find what to delete and what exactly. i double checked some post inside that forum. But couldn't solved that problem. this dialogue doesn't appear when i run it as admin. but that couldn't be the solution.

Hi Oliver this thread should help you. http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79337

It's really important to change your user account settings in windows 7. (not just for BFD2)
To do this, go to your control panel, click on user accounts, click on, "change user account settings" You should now see a slider, drag it down to the bottom where it says, "never notify".

if i click on a drum after i loaded the entire set properly and clicked on that drum, i hear nothing.

We need to solve this problem first. Some more information would be useful, like, what is your audio interface and is it set to ASIO. BFD2 will only work in ASIO. Are you doing this in stand alone or in cubase? It is recommended to get everything set up and working in stand alone first.

if i edit my drums and press play it doesn't start playing.

Given your problem with no sound you wont hear it if it does play.
This sounds like you don't have any midi grooves loaded in the groove page or you don't have a midi track feeding BFD2 in your sequencer.

I'm close to uninstall the program completely in order to reinstall it, but that could be the solution.

I don't think there is any need to do that as it's not going to fix your problem.

its no option to walk through the total forum in order to solve all these problem. sorry guys, i ask you kindly to give me a step by step instruction to get that 300€ program running.

Sorry, but the forum is here for that very reason and often peoples problems are of their own making from just not reading up in advance and not knowing how to use the program. There is a lot to learn and that's not the fault of the program.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

Oliver1977

Postby Oliver1977 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Hello Steven,

thanks for the quick reply.
Ok - maybe to explain, I'm working on a friends machine and studio with bfd since 2 month and decided to setup my own equipment. so im pretty into the product and how it works. as it was convincing i decided to buy bfd2 and deluxe expansion.
his machine, has the same invorement as my machine now: win7 quatcore 8ram, 1TB memory incl. 250ssd. running Cubase 5 32bit, with Dante Virtual Soundcard (ASiO) to a Yamaha mixing konsole.

regarding that error message and virtual files - i removed the total folder and the message didnt appear again. just a quick note, the message doesnt say remove the total folder. its talking about virtual files, that why looked after a file instead of removing the total folder and the message doesnt realy say what exactly to remove ... anyway.

I also changed my account setting to never notify, as youve recommended.

Launching bfd2 32bit mode standalone, I changed in the data path section the audio file path which is on my D drive. BfD is installed under C. I wonder why its recommended to intsall the audio data under a different drive, in my case not the ssd which should be the very quicker one.maybe you could explain that.
I added the audio file folder to my data path.

as mentioned i worked on a friends machine with bfd and have allready some customized kits, mixers and drummaps generated in bfd. I loaded the files into the appropriate folder. (by the way: at the installation process I did choose for the bfd vsts, the folder inside the Cubase vst- folder structure. this is what i always do with other programs. )
going back to the drum section or mixer or groovepage I can load my setting properly. no problem.

in the groovepage section i can load the groove i,ve set up. no deal. when im pressing the play button, it switch from greyish into green, and back to grey. nothing started no play no sound no nothing. when i edit another beat and try to play this one too, same situation.
another thing, when i open the groove section a screen is opened asking for Grooves: no grooves selected, click here for pallet or here for single groove etc. If i click on one of these options , normally this screen disappears. on my machine not. you have to scroll down the section that this screen disappears. thats a bug?

Ok next: inside the groove section there ist the option to load one of the bfd grooves, this libary is empty, eventhough i thought the total libary path is D which ive selected in the datapath section.

if i click on the drum, after my set was loaded, no sound appears.

I dont know if i did something wrong in the installation process or if something different is wrong I realy hope that you could help me. this sounds not very normal. and please dont say it,s the dante card, it works very good on my friend machine.

Please let me know what to do, unfortunatelly i didnt study IT , so would be nice if could explain it step by step and easy to understand.
Thanks
Oliver

MetalMitch

Postby MetalMitch » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:35 pm

I have two questions:

1. How come when I load a preset kit, it also loads a drum beat? I don't want it to do this. I want it to load the drumkit with a blank palette so I can create something from scratch without having to manually remove and reset everything. How can I clear/reset the palette without also clearing/resetting the kit?

2. I've noticed that some preset beats have certain instrument hits slightly off the grid, even when snap to grid is on. I understand this is probably an intentional thing, to make the drums seem every so slightly more human and realistic. I actually like this, especially for the music I'm writing (very organic, emotional progressive rock/metal, needs to sound alive, not like a machine). It's very difficult to hear the slightly not 100% locked in hits, but it definitely makes it sound more human. I would like to know what this is called, and how I can manipulate it. This feature will be very useful in rare situations where I use blastbeats and fast double-bass runs, to as I said make it sound more human and less like a machine (many bands can do "perfect" blasts, but many also let the notes slip slightly out of time even though they're following the metronome exactly, like Pulse-Surreal by Lantlos).

EDIT: I think I managed to answer question 1 myself. Wasn't sure how long it would take to figure it out myself but I think I got it.

purtington

Postby purtington » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 pm

MetalMitch wrote:I have two questions:

1. How come when I load a preset kit, it also loads a drum beat? I don't want it to do this. I want it to load the drumkit with a blank palette so I can create something from scratch without having to manually remove and reset everything. How can I clear/reset the palette without also clearing/resetting the kit?

If you're just loading a kit there shouldn't be anything other than the kit. Are these the stock BFD2 kits or expansion kits?
None of mine have loops included. Are you sure you're not actually loading a preset? A preset can include the kit + mixer settings, The kit + a loop or all three.

2. I've noticed that some preset beats have certain instrument hits slightly off the grid, even when snap to grid is on. I understand this is probably an intentional thing, to make the drums seem every so slightly more human and realistic. I actually like this, especially for the music I'm writing (very organic, emotional progressive rock/metal, needs to sound alive, not like a machine). It's very difficult to hear the slightly not 100% locked in hits, but it definitely makes it sound more human. I would like to know what this is called, and how I can manipulate it. This feature will be very useful in rare situations where I use blastbeats and fast double-bass runs, to as I said make it sound more human and less like a machine (many bands can do "perfect" blasts, but many also let the notes slip slightly out of time even though they're following the metronome exactly, like Pulse-Surreal by Lantlos).

EDIT: I think I managed to answer question 1 myself. Wasn't sure how long it would take to figure it out myself but I think I got it.

Humanize Time (Page 110 in your manual)

Humanize Timing
The Humanize Timing effect is another way of making Grooves sound more human by applying varying amounts of timing randomization to playing Groove events. Lower settings are recommended for subtle and non-intrusive humanization, while high settings can result in your drums sounding like the drummer necked several bottles of rocket fuel prior to the take.
The Amount control defines the maximum amount of random timing variation (before or after the actual event) that can be applied to events.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

MetalMitch

Postby MetalMitch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 am

Thank you for the reply, Steve. I'm starting to wrap my head around the program now. I find its complexity to be liberating; there are so many ways of customizing the sounds and so many options for the way a hit is played (the option of having the hi-hat hit at closed, open, or a quarter/half/three quarters open alone already beats any other drum editor I've worked with!), I believe I'll be able to fulfill my vision completely.

Mixing the bass drum is going to be a bitch though lol.

Another question I have: how can I name my grooves? If I have to identify and sort through dozens of grooves in songs I've written that reach 10-14 minutes at times by New Groove (number here), I think I'll pull my hair out lol.

purtington

Postby purtington » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

Another question I have: how can I name my grooves? If I have to identify and sort through dozens of grooves in songs I've written that reach 10-14 minutes at times by New Groove (number here), I think I'll pull my hair out lol.

I write all my drum parts in my sequencer so have not done much with BFD2's editor but whether you're writing your own
grooves from scratch or rearranging existing grooves you just save as. You'll either save groove or save palette depending
on which you've created.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

MetalMitch

Postby MetalMitch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Darn, so there's no way to name the grooves I create? That seems like a pretty basic feature, can't see why it's not included.

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:23 pm

You can name grooves in the Groove Editor page - expand the window below the groove list/keyboard then sve the palette

Rail

MetalMitch

Postby MetalMitch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:You can name grooves in the Groove Editor page - expand the window below the groove list/keyboard then sve the palette

Rail

Thank you, I was able to find that and name my grooves. Big relief lol!

MetalMitch

Postby MetalMitch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I have another one.

I just completed my first full drum track and laid down guitars and basses over it. I've noticed that the crash cymbal seems to sound different constantly; one instance that happens frequently is that the second hit will be louder than the first, making it sound like I'm varying between two cymbals, though this doesn't always happen. I would prefer more consistency. As well as the double bass doesn't sound 100% locked in, which at the speed I have it going, isn't even close to impossible for a real drummer to do. So I'm wondering how to balance the cymbal volume, and how to make sure every bass drum hit is locked in and heard.

rjbaked

Won't open in Cubase 6.5

Postby rjbaked » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 pm

I recently bought a new computer 10GB of RAM, 1TB. I installed a Cubase 6.5, registered it and downloaded all upgrades. I also ordered a boxed copy of BFD2 and installed all 5 DVDs, registered and downloaded upgrades. But for some reason BFD2 will not open in Cubase. It does not show up as a VST Instrument at all. When I hit the "help" tab and open the set up wizard I change the settings to use Cubase as a host and hit the "do it" tab. It does a quick scan and none of my settings change. Not sure what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

purtington

Postby purtington » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 pm

MetalMitch wrote:I'm sorry for all the questions, but I have another one.

I just completed my first full drum track and laid down guitars and basses over it. I've noticed that the crash cymbal seems to sound different constantly; one instance that happens frequently is that the second hit will be louder than the first, making it sound like I'm varying between two cymbals, though this doesn't always happen. I would prefer more consistency. As well as the double bass doesn't sound 100% locked in, which at the speed I have it going, isn't even close to impossible for a real drummer to do. So I'm wondering how to balance the cymbal volume, and how to make sure every bass drum hit is locked in and heard.

Might be useful if you could upload it somewhere and post a link.
It could be something in your drum programming or something in BFD2 but hearing it would probably be a big help.

Steve

GA-X58A-UD3R,
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
focusrite scarlett 2i4

Return to “BFD2”