Having trouble updating to BFD v2.2? READ THIS - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Having trouble updating to BFD v2.2? READ THIS

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Having trouble updating to BFD v2.2? READ THIS

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm

If you've updated to BFD v2.2 (using the standard application path) and can't get it running, try these steps:

- Locate the application:
-- OSX /Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD2/BFD2 Uninstaller.app
-- Win %root%\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD2\BFD2 Uninstaller.exe
- Rename the BFD2 library folder (e.g. "_BFD") so that that uninstaller does not remove it.
- Click on the "Uninstall" button.
- Close the app on completion.
- Remove any folders the Uninstaller says require manual removal.
- Revert the BFD2 library folder's name to "BFD2".
- Run the most recent v2.2.0.48 combo update again*.

This process will not touch your auths, or any user generated data (presets, user preferences etc).

* There was a minor script error in the original data patch section of 2.2.0.48 combo update that I fixed last week. Use the latest installer!
Last edited by rob_fx (ex-FX) on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

Andrew.Sherman

BFD data on two separate drives (2 data paths)

Postby Andrew.Sherman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 pm

hey, there. i've been using BFD2 successfully with 2 data paths, 1 folder on each of 2 drives. when i encountered the alert message while installing 2.2.48, it made me nervous that the installer may not give me the option to select 2 different data paths. is this true? i haven't installed it yet, but i navigated far enough to determine that the installer DOES see both paths (/Volumes/Drive1/BFD2 and /Volumes/Drive2/BFD). the question is whether it will allow me to do whatever patch is necessary to the data at BOTH locations. please let me know ASAP. thanks! - AS
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 2.48.56 PM.png
here's the alert message that makes me wonder if it will patch 2 different data paths...
Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 2.48.56 PM.png (27.38 KiB) Viewed 11213 times

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:37 pm

The installer will patch ONE path containing the BFD2 library data. If you have duplicated the data on two drives you'll need to run the installer twice and manually set the path in each instance.

However, from what you are saying it sounds like you have only one BFD2 data path to start with, the other containing BFD (v1.x) data. The update patch has nothing to do with anything other than the BFD2 library data.

kbryarly

HELP!!!!!!!

Postby kbryarly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I just updated my BFD2 to 2.2 ... when I try to launch the BFD it says my license file is corrupt! I have no idea how to fix this ... but I am in the middle of a TV project and need this to work now.... can you help me?????
By the way, the license manager says that my status is OK on all my registered products but the program will not open...

Kelly

[EDIT: Attachment removed for security concerns. Rob/Jan 27th. ]

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Kelly,

Don't panic! Something's "overturned the apple cart". No matter.

You BFD2 auth file is here:
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD2/BFD2.auth

First try moving it to the desktop (or somewhere safe) and restart BFD2 in standalone. License Manager's status for BFD2 should revert to "unauthorized".

Restart the authorization process. This should not affect your auth count, but if for any reason it does I'll can bump up your count from this end.

Try this and let me know what happens.
-Rob.

kbryarly

Postby kbryarly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey Rob!!!!!!!

I can't thank you enough for getting back to me so fast! I am up and running (I think-I haven't tried loading all my stuff but...)

The program is working now... Thank you again... sorry for the 'panic' but I have had negligible support results in the past from other vendors and was not optimistic about getting fast results. Thank you again... you guys ROCK!

Kelly

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:29 pm

[blows smoke off the end of the barrel of an imaginary revolver]

:wink:

klarkov

Re: BFD data on two separate drives (2 data paths)

Postby klarkov » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Andrew.Sherman wrote:hey, there. i've been using BFD2 successfully with 2 data paths, 1 folder on each of 2 drives. when i encountered the alert message while installing 2.2.48, it made me nervous that the installer may not give me the option to select 2 different data paths. is this true? i haven't installed it yet, but i navigated far enough to determine that the installer DOES see both paths (/Volumes/Drive1/BFD2 and /Volumes/Drive2/BFD). the question is whether it will allow me to do whatever patch is necessary to the data at BOTH locations. please let me know ASAP. thanks! - AS

guys...
I'm not exactly an expert with a Mac...
when I am asked to choose where the path is I'm not sure what to do....

right now I'm on 2.1.0 r47

I have a Mac Pro
the main BFD2 stuff I installed using all the suggested defaults
the samples I put in my 3rd drive which I named BFD samples
the path to the drums samples is
BFD samples -> BFD2 -> Audio -> then loads of folders containing various samples
what is the exact path I should choose...
I'm a little uncertain....

also... I took a guess and ended up with the registration prob that everyone appears to be suffering from...

in the mean time, I've reverted back to 2.1.0r47 [cos I have work to do and can't afford to get bogged down in all this]

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Re: BFD data on two separate drives (2 data paths)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm

klarkov wrote:
Andrew.Sherman wrote:hey, there. i've been using BFD2 successfully with 2 data paths, 1 folder on each of 2 drives. when i encountered the alert message while installing 2.2.48, it made me nervous that the installer may not give me the option to select 2 different data paths. is this true? i haven't installed it yet, but i navigated far enough to determine that the installer DOES see both paths (/Volumes/Drive1/BFD2 and /Volumes/Drive2/BFD). the question is whether it will allow me to do whatever patch is necessary to the data at BOTH locations. please let me know ASAP. thanks! - AS

guys...
I'm not exactly an expert with a Mac...
when I am asked to choose where the path is I'm not sure what to do....

right now I'm on 2.1.0 r47

I have a Mac Pro
the main BFD2 stuff I installed using all the suggested defaults
the samples I put in my 3rd drive which I named BFD samples
the path to the drums samples is
BFD samples -> BFD2 -> Audio -> then loads of folders containing various samples
what is the exact path I should choose...
I'm a little uncertain....

also... I took a guess and ended up with the registration prob that everyone appears to be suffering from...

in the mean time, I've reverted back to 2.1.0r47 [cos I have work to do and can't afford to get bogged down in all this]

Your data path is:
BFD samples -> BFD2

Point the data path request at that "BFD2" folder.

-Rob.

klarkov

Postby klarkov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:59 pm

thanks Rob....
it looks like my guess was the right one then...

I'll have another go at installing the update and try to sort out the registration issue that everyone appears to be having...

btw - I don't know if you recall a while ago we were talking about BFD2 coughing and spluttering with Logic
you made a few suggestions, but we really didn't get to the bottom of it..
I upgraded from 2G RAM to 6G RAM a while ago and all the issues stopped..
I did a little further reading on the subject the other week and found something on the Apple site about 'page out' and how 'things' that are not used for a while are temporarily moved to the hard drive until needed again in RAM.. and the key to reducing page outs is to increase RAM [which funnily enough I did before I read this article]..
I can't say I fully understood everything in the article but it did prompt me to try something...
which was to open the Activity Monitor and watch the effect of adding stuff in Logic...
an empty Logic project was using about 350Mb active with roughly the same virtual...
loaded BFD2, then a space designer instance, then some Native Instruments things, then EXS24 and ES2 etc....
BFD2 had the largest single impact on memory usage real and virtual of any instrument or effect I added...
when I loaded a song that used to be bad for crashing with BFD2 the active was 1.5G active and 2.4G virtual...
could this have been the thing that was hurting the performance of BFD in Logic when I only had 2G of RAM?
anyways.. I don't want to bushwhack this thread with something different..
I just thought I'd let you know what I'd found whilst I had your attention just in case I was onto something that may be useful to you guys...

anyways.. then and now... you're a star.. thanks for all your help..

klarkov

Re: Having trouble updating to BFD v2.2? READ THIS

Postby klarkov » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:54 pm

rob_fx wrote:If you've updated to BFD v2.2 (using the standard application path) and can't get it running, try these steps:

-- Win %root%\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD2\BFD2 Uninstaller.exe
- Rename the BFD2 library folder (e.g. "_BFD") so that that uninstaller does not remove it.
- Close the app on completion.
- Remove any folders the Uninstaller says require manual removal.
- Revert the BFD2 library folder's name to "BFD2".
- Run the most recent v2.2.0.48 combo update again*.

This process will not touch your auths, or any user generated data (presets, user preferences etc).

* There was a minor script error in the original data patch section of 2.2.0.48 combo update that I fixed last week. Use the latest installer!

Hi Rob
I'm finally trying to get around to updating from 2.0...

did this

when I clicked on the unistall app in the now _BFD2 folder I get an error message

caught VException in main function. Cannot continue operation.
Error reason: VEception:ip: "Unrecognized exception" src:Unknown" descr: "Failed to parse the installation script. Cannot continue"

I've been away for quite a while [touring and stuff] and I'd really like to get my BFD2 up onto the latest s/w level. I'm pretty stuck. Not a mac expert and need a little help.

Walterke

Data installer

Postby Walterke » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:02 pm

:cry: Hi;I bought the update from bfd Eco to BFD2.It's a download software and It will comme as download.Now the problem is when I've done the installation everything went well.But I've unpacked the data installer and bfd2 doesn't find It.What do I have to do to get it fixed?

Greetz Walterke

drumandbass75

Postby drumandbass75 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Good day to everyone,

This is a fairly old thread, but this is a fairly new problem for me, and I hope resident expert "Rob" or someone else can assist. I have this EXACT same issue, only it's on a new install…NO UPDATES from a previous version or anything like the thread discusses.

I tried both V.2.3.0.38 and V.2.3.1.6 and I still get hung up on the License Manager Screen. The only version I didn't try was V.2.1.0.47, and that's because it says Windows XP and Vista only / Mac OSX 10.4 or 10.5, PowerPC CPU only

I have an Intel Mac Pro running Max OS X 10.8.5…NOT a PowerPC as it states for that version. I did all the suggestions here about uninstalling, and it still just hangs.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and your forthcoming assistance.

All the best!!!

drumandbass75

Postby drumandbass75 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

One more thing that I forgot to mention, I never saw the BFD.auth file as described here.
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD2/BFD2.auth

Return to “BFD2”