MAC OS X 10.7.2 BFD2 - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

MAC OS X 10.7.2 BFD2

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 am

In \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\Components

The file BFD2.component -- what version is it?

In \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\VST

The file BFD2.vst -- what version is it?

Rail

danielgfreeman

Postby danielgfreeman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 am

Platinum Samples wrote:In \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\Components

The file BFD2.component -- what version is it?

In \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\VST

The file BFD2.vst -- what version is it?

Rail

2.3.0.31 for both. My latest conversation with tech support is that the version that was showing in the error report is actually that of the stubloader. I am actually running BFD2 v2.3.0.31 I am able to make BFD2 run in standalone mode after having REMOVED Logic from my system and clearing all cache etc. HOWEVER the ONLY way I can get BFD2 to work in standalone every time is to DELETE the runtime logs EVERYTIME before starting BFD2 standalone. I have still not been able to get it running in LOGIC or GARAGEBAND.
I have replicated this action 5 times now, opening and working in BFD2 Standalone then closing. Attempt to reopen and get the same "Application Not Responding" If I force close, the delete the runtime logs it will work again, but only in standalone mode. I have checked placement of the AU and VST files and they appear correct.
Tech Support has informed me there are a minute few of us users who are experiencing odd runtime log issues and they have yet to be able to replicate the problem, so I may be SOL for a while.
Now back to the All Night task of reinstalling LOGIC (I think I will forgo some of the audio content disks this time)

plopseaw

Postby plopseaw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Daniel,

Sorry I can be of much help

Sounds like you have the same problem as me iMac + Lion. All of a sudden BFD2 wont open as standalone, VST or AU. It just hangs until I quit it.

If I run Onyx to clear logs etc it runs once in standalone mode and then not at all on the second run. It won't open at all in Abelton. Does the same in Reaper as well.

Strange just happened today (I'am using the latest beta but have been for a long while with no problems), just bought and installed the Maple custom kit. Oh well.

BR,

Plopseaw

plopseaw

Postby plopseaw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Daniel,

Quick update.

If I delete logs I can get both the standalone and the plugin to work (in Ableton) until I start it again.

For standalone the second time I start BFD2 it hangs until I delete logs again. In ableton I can load and unload the plugin and load it again. However, when I quit Ableton and start it again BFD2 doesn't load as a plugin.

Perhaps delete logs everytime before starting Logic. Not a solution but perhaps a work-around.

BR,

Plopseaw

danielgfreeman

Postby danielgfreeman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:17 pm

plopseaw wrote:Hi Daniel,

Quick update.

If I delete logs I can get both the standalone and the plugin to work (in Ableton) until I start it again.

For standalone the second time I start BFD2 it hangs until I delete logs again. In ableton I can load and unload the plugin and load it again. However, when I quit Ableton and start it again BFD2 doesn't load as a plugin.

Perhaps delete logs everytime before starting Logic. Not a solution but perhaps a work-around.

BR,

Plopseaw

Yeah that's what I've been doing for the past few days, deleting runtime logs. Sucks I have to do it every single time before I open BFD2 in standalone and I still cant open in LOGIC at all, but tech support has been responsive and genuinely concerned. I have been told it is just a "sit tight" situation for the time being. ( they are attempting to replicate the problem so they can find a fix) I was told there were a very small number of people experiencing similar problems, so if you haven't done so already, you may want to email tech support to let them know your in the same boat.

As far as not being able to open in Logic I'm kinda screwed there. I am not sure of the problem, but the AU Manager can't verify BFD2 even after deleting runtime logs.

plopseaw

Postby plopseaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Daniel,

Any success so far? Are Fxpansion looking into this or going to make a new beta? Frankly, Iam a bit fed up by now with no fix. Anyone else have the same problem?

danielgfreeman

Postby danielgfreeman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:03 am

plopseaw wrote:Daniel,

Any success so far? Are Fxpansion looking into this or going to make a new beta? Frankly, Iam a bit fed up by now with no fix. Anyone else have the same problem?

I received an email from tech support yesterday stating that they are working n a private beta, so if you haven't done so already, I would notify them tht youre experiencing similar issues. As of now, I'm still having the same problems, but the tech support team has been very involved in assisting me to find a resolution. Hopefully that beta will be released sometime soon.
Will respond with any further updates as well.

plopseaw

Postby plopseaw » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Daniel,

I was previously using Onyx to delete logs. Today I went to the log folder (home/Library/Logs) directly and moved the whole folder to trash. Since then I can open BFD2 multiple times both standalone and plugin (Studio 1) without problems and without needing to delete the logs folder again.

I also noticed that synthsquad was doing the same when trying to load Fusor, deleting the entire log folder solved that as well.

Worth a try.

BR,

Plopseaw

danielgfreeman

Postby danielgfreeman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 am

plopseaw wrote:Hi Daniel,

I was previously using Onyx to delete logs. Today I went to the log folder (home/Library/Logs) directly and moved the whole folder to trash. Since then I can open BFD2 multiple times both standalone and plugin (Studio 1) without problems and without needing to delete the logs folder again.

I also noticed that synthsquad was doing the same when trying to load Fusor, deleting the entire log folder solved that as well.

Worth a try.

BR,

Plopseaw

Cool.
I will give that a shot when I get back.
Thanks for the info!

danielgfreeman

Postby danielgfreeman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:42 am

Hi plopseaw,

I just received an email with a new beta from tech support. I don't know if you have been in contact with tech support on this issue, but if you want the updated beta, I should be able to forward you the message I received. I haven't installed it yet, but will report here on my findings when I get to it this morning!
Daniel

plopseaw

Postby plopseaw » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the update. Didn't go for the beta because so far deleting the log folder has solved all my problems (though I have logic 8 but its not installed). Be interested to hear how you get on though.

BR,

Paul.

sam_fx
Thought Police

Postby sam_fx » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:05 am

Hi Guys,

We have a build of BFD 2.3.0.32 going through private BETA testing now which should fix this logs-related crash. We should hopefully be able to make this public very soon.

einarabelc5

Avoid the compatibility Madnesss!!!

Postby einarabelc5 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:38 am

sam_fx wrote:Hi Guys,

We have a build of BFD 2.3.0.32 going through private BETA testing now which should fix this logs-related crash. We should hopefully be able to make this public very soon.

sam_fx wrote:Hi Guys,

Beta 2.3.0.38 is ALREADY out. I purchased BFD2 two days ago. Let us know if ti works for you.

I still haven't installed BFD2 in MacOS since I have Mac for testing but my main one is a PC.

To the OP, here's a suggestion that an actual MacOS developer taught me. First, only do this if your Mac HDD is big enough (I'm assuming you have at least 200GB of free space). Second, only do it if you want to keep a backup of your system without having to lose the changes and updates you've done. Unlike Time Machine this approach keeps two extra (or as many as you need and have space for) copies of Mac OSX in your machine. That is Plus two more partitions on the same system. So you'll end up with 3 total.

Apple is famous for messing up backward compatibility when they bring up updates in their software and in general that's just your bread and butter when it comes to ANY system, specially computers and software.... so here's the main idea: keep a clean vanilla backup of your functioning system and leave another install of MacOSX for messing up with UPDATES and etc. We developers MESS up with our systems a lot so this very experienced guy came up with this approach and I think it is GREAT!

Tools that you will need:

1.-Mac OS Disk Utility: Applications ->Utilities->Disk Utility
2.-Carbon Copy Cloner and/or Super Duper:-> Free Disk Utilities on the Internet for MacOS (yes free) and NOT on the App Store. Google them.
3.-Physical Copy of Your MacOSX disc that came with your machine.
4.-Optional (Installer app of Lion) - or Lion if you have the physical copy

What to do:
The purpose is to repartition your main drive to create a secondary "clean" install of MacOSX that will serve as your template to run software you don't want to break. Like BFD2 and your DAW in this case. Once you have these you DON'T want to update it or mess with it again because you have a stable system to start fresh and fast.

How to do it:
There are two steps for this.

Firstly you're gonna create a minimum and pristine "vanilla" install that will actually never be used to operate the computer but it will serve as a backup in case you mess up.
You have two options...you can install MacOS ONLY and leave it alone or you can set up a system with the stuff you need on that partition. I would include everything you need in this partition to get you up and running (Logic+BFD2). First make sure everything works, then proceed to the next step.

Secondly create a working partition that you will actually use to do your work. Now(and here's the key), instead of installing everything again and starting from scratch simply COPY from the pristine partition over to this new partition and you're ready to go. PRESTO, if you ever screw up your working install again you can always copy over the pristine install and avoid ALL the headache. Of course, your precious data is to be kept outside your system.

Technical Babble:
1.-Creating Pristine Install:
Using the MacOSX Disk Utility repartition your drive and set the size of your new partition to whatever you need. Name your partition to something like Vanilla or pristine to differentiate it from your original one that's messed up. Please notice that the size will be on Megabytes ( so multiple by 1000, or 1024 if you wanna be precise). For a Mac install of snow leopard ONLY you'll need around 30 GB. That will give you the install and some free space left. If you wanna add Logic Pro and BFD2 plus any other music production stuff you may have I leave it up to you.

2.-Installing From the Physical DVD :
Use System Preferences->Startup disk to select the MacOSX Installer DVD AFTER you have created your vanilla partition. You can create all the partitions you need before the first install but you need the first partition as a minimum.

3.- Let the DVD Boot and select the Partition you want to install to. IMPORTANT: Make sure you select the vanilla partition when installing Mac OS X. Once you are done installing Mac Os you may want to update to the latest known version that you knew your stuff worked on(at your own risk) and OPTIONALLY the tools you need. Make sure everything loads and work before the next step.

4.- Reboot back to your main "messed up" original system.

5.-Create work partition
If you haven't create your work partition with the as much space as you need without leaving your main system out of space. It should be BIGGER than the Vanilla install.How much is up to you and your storage options. Name it something like MacoS work to distinguish it from your Main (HD) and your vanilla/pristine partitions.

6.-Open Carbon copy and copy things over from the Pristine template partition to the Work partition.
Use the clone button to do so. Leave things by default and make sure all things on the Work partition will be deleted before the cloning process.

7.-Reboot to the Work partition and start producing. If you mess up repeat ONLY step 6 from your MAIN system.

You're done!

Screenshots of the main steps are included with inline instructions. You should know know to install MAcOSX to an specific drive.
Attachments
6.-Carbon Copy.png
How to copy an entire partition over with Carbon Copy
6.-Carbon Copy.png (191.97 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
2.-Reboot to DVD.png
Using system preferences to reboot to an specific partition or drive.
2.-Reboot to DVD.png (97.11 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
1.-Partition.png
macOSX partition example.
1.-Partition.png (213.1 KiB) Viewed 3355 times

Return to “BFD2”