BRUSHES FOR SNARE - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BRUSHES FOR SNARE

Support for BFD2 Acoustic Drum Workstation

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

ronlosangeles

BRUSHES FOR SNARE

Postby ronlosangeles » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:22 am

Does BFD2 have brushes for any of it's snares?
I can't find if they are there?
thanks

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 am

Look at the download Signature Snare expansion kits from FXpansion. I have done a lot of brush kit pieces in those packs. The drum packs have them as well...

Cheers.

ronlosangeles

snare brushes

Postby ronlosangeles » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 am

I guess my question wasn't specific.
I'm asking if the BFD2 that I purchased has any brushes for snares? Without purchasing additional products is what I should have clarified.
Seems like using a brush on a snare is so fundamental...so basic....... seems odd it wouldn't be included in BFD2.... so I've been assuming I just can't find it.
Thanks

purtington

Re: snare brushes

Postby purtington » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 am

ronlosangeles wrote:I guess my question wasn't specific.
I'm asking if the BFD2 that I purchased has any brushes for snares? Without purchasing additional products is what I should have clarified.
Seems like using a brush on a snare is so fundamental...so basic....... seems odd it wouldn't be included in BFD2.... so I've been assuming I just can't find it.
Thanks

The answer to your question I'm afraid is no. I was a bit surprised to discover there were none too
I don't really do jazz though so it wasn't a fundamental thing for me ':)'
Yes I know they don't have to be used for jazz only but that is their most common use.
I actually do have one song that uses brushes so I bought the jazz n funk expansion pack especially for that
one song.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

etto

Postby etto » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I agree with you that a basic brushes articulation could be included but I don't understand your complaining. There is a page on the site very easy to find where you can listen to every single piece of the kit included in standard library; there are different dynamic levels too.
When I decided for BFD2 I was well conscious that brushes weren't there.. I then waited for an offer and bought jazz maple expansion at an interesting price.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53&tab=150
IMac 27" 2.8GHz 16GB ram Mavericks
MacBookPro 15" 2.2GHz Duo 3GB ram Snow leopard
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3GHz 2.5GB ram Leopard

http://soundcloud.com/edc-4
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4289A53FE3A4807

petesguitar1

Postby petesguitar1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 am

I have to disagree Etto, as you say, some simple brush strokes should be standard - I thought I was buying the ultimate acoustic drum software only to find out I have to pay a significant amount more to get what is essentially a basic piece of kit!

etto

Postby etto » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am

But, as I stated in the first line, I agree with you on that and what you though is the most logical thing; it should be included.
I was only pointing to the fact that browsing the product page it's quite easy to understand that this articulation is missing so you are free to decide to buy something else; it's also stated clearly in the product FAQ page.

I feel the same on VSL products that's the 'holy grail' library for classic orchestral sounds; you spend a lot for the standard edition collection to discover that 'non vibrato' patches (that in strings are really fundamental) are not included.. So I actually went for another library but, again, it's been easy to discover it browsing the product page.
IMac 27" 2.8GHz 16GB ram Mavericks

MacBookPro 15" 2.2GHz Duo 3GB ram Snow leopard

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3GHz 2.5GB ram Leopard

http://soundcloud.com/edc-4

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4289A53FE3A4807

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Hey guys,

Can't really answer why BFD2 didn't include any brushes, I wasn't around at that time, otherwise I would've bought it up. It's likely actually that somebody did, got a couple of jazz guys here at FX. But the guy who recorded the BFD2 stuff was more of a hip-hop, rock, indie kinda producer, so that's the angle he took - BFD has always had a slight lean towards rock drumming, as that is what is most popular within the e-drum and production community. I'm generalising, but it seems to be accurate to me.

So this is the reason we have expansion packs, because the stock sample library couldn't possibly ever cover every single angle. As Etto has pointed out, there are full sound examples of each drum on the BFD2 page. It gives the content creators chance to really focus on a specific type of sound; John has done some great stuff that is well worth checking out.

There is the Jazz Maple pack, which I believe has brushes. There is also Jazz & Funk, which also has brushes. Hopefully there is something in there that will tickle your fancy!

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 pm

You could wait till BFD do one of their discount deals, one should be due soon hopefully and pick up the required expansion at about half price. Shouldn't hot rods, mallets, rim clicks, snare wires off, etc then be standard sounds also? Just saying :)
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

petesguitar1

Postby petesguitar1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Which expansion packs have brushes? I really, really don't want to pay more but I currently have AUD $399 worth of drums that are only applicable to a quarter of the songs I have written. Very, very happy with BFD, just disappointed that I can't afford the Jazz & Funk kit :(

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Currently at 30 percent off

BFD Signature Snares Vol.1

FXpansion is proud to present a collection of Yamaha artist signature snares for your BFD2 or BFD Eco library. With the usual high levels of detail, multiple channels and multiple articulations, BFD Signature Snares Vol.1 is ready for you to sequence and mix alongside your other kit-pieces.

The snares are captured in the same room as the previous Yamaha expansion kits and the Jazz & Funk, Percussion and B.O.M.B expansion packs, in Omega Studios, Rockville, MD, USA. The tight, precise and very playable sound makes them sound great when combined with any kit-pieces in the BFD library.

BFD v2.1's support for custom articulations allows these snares to offer 'rim clicks' in addition to the standard snare articulations, as well as support for electronic drums positional sensing.

Roy Haynes Signature Snare Drum (14" x 5.5")
The sound of jazz great Roy Haynes is embodied in this hand-hammered copper shell snare. With a versatile, refined tone, the snare is recorded with sticks and brushes, as well as using mallets with the snare strainer off.
Played with:
- Sticks (strainer on and off)
- Brushes (strainer on and off)
- Mallets (strainer off)

Bamboo Snare Drum (14" x 6.5")
Paper-thin sheets of bamboo are used to create single plies, six of which are used to form perfectly round shells with Yamaha's original "Air-Seal System". The result is a remarkably beautiful shell that produces a warm tone full of low-end.
Played with:

FHP (fibreglass) Snare Drum (14" x 6")
A precursor to the FRP range, the FHP's fibreglass material permits the utilisation of thinner 3mm shells, which deliver a fat, dynamic sound with excellent playing response. The FHP uses the same material used in making Yamaha marimbas, xylophones, and tympanis.
Played with:
- Hot rods (strainer on and off)

Dave Weckl Signature Model (14" x 5")
One of a series of Dave Weckl signature snares featuring a dual-strainer design, this steel-shell model possesses a unique sound and 'crack'.
Played with:
- Sticks (strainer on)
- Brushes (strainer on)

Mike Bordin Signature Model (14" x 6.5")
With a partially hand-hammered 2mm copper shell, this snare features a thick, dark tone. With the power to cut through loud mixes, the snare also exudes enough warmth and sensitivity for almost any musical application.
Played with:
- Sticks (strainer on)

Equipment used for the recordings
Snare Top - Shure Beta 57A / API 3124 preamp
Snare Bottom - EV N/D457 / API 3124 preamp
Snare Side - Violet Design Flamingo Jr. / ATI 8MX2 preamp
Overhead - Matched pairs of Neumann KM184s or Violet Design Black Knight mics / ATI 8MX2 preamps
Room - Violet Design Globe with prototype omni capsules / Focusrite Red preamps
Amb3 - Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room / Metric Halo ULN2 preamp
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

petesguitar1

Postby petesguitar1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 am

Thanks man, just saw the sale and figure I may as well just shell out and buy the Jazz & Funk.

Return to “BFD2”