macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Lawrence_fx
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 pm

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Given the upcoming release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, we’ve been performing in-house testing to establish the compatibility of our existing software with this macOS update.

Testing so far has revealed that changes introduced in macOS 10.15 may affect the compatibility of FXpansion software. We recommend that you wait to update to macOS 10.15 Catalina until we’ve ensured compatibility, and given the all-clear that you’re safe to update.

We’ll let you know once we’ve ensured that all existing products are no longer affected and that it's safe to update.

UPDATE - The following products are now completely compatible with macOS Catalina:

- Strobe2
- Cypher2
- Synth Expanders
- Geist2
- Geist Expanders

We're pleased to announce that we've also been able to repackage the following legacy products, to allow them to install and run on macOS Catalina - these can now be downloaded from your FXpansion account:

- DCAM Synth Squad
- Tremor
- Bloom
- Etch
- Maul

We're continuing work on updates to BFD3 and BFD Expansions, and we'll bring you news very soon of when these updates will be available.

Thank you for your continued patience, understanding and co-operation.

PhilWest
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 am

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby PhilWest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Any news about this macOS update?

Lawrence_fx
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

PhilWest wrote:Any news about this macOS update?


Hi Phil,

We still recommend not updating to macOS 10.15 Catalina until we've given the go-ahead. We're currently addressing issues that affect our software installers and will let you know when it's safe to update.

aahladas
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby aahladas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 am

Lawrence_fx wrote:
PhilWest wrote:Any news about this macOS update?


Hi Phil,

We still recommend not updating to macOS 10.15 Catalina until we've given the go-ahead. We're currently addressing issues that affect our software installers and will let you know when it's safe to update.


FXpansion is not the only company lagging on this (UAD, Waves, etc), but the lack of updates is holding our whole computer hostage for weeks now. I hope it will be resolved soon. I also hope all products will be usable, because I still use BFD2 in some situations, and would hate to lose access to it.

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:40 am

Any idea in a time frame? I already upgraded just to see what worked and what was broken, and the only program I own having any issues is BFD3. (It's actually a positive, only one program that was affected- coulda been way worse). So now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm going to reinstall my backup, or just keep this and wait out your fix.. Again, any idea on a time frame?

~Michael

Lawrence_fx
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Damagical wrote:Any idea in a time frame? I already upgraded just to see what worked and what was broken, and the only program I own having any issues is BFD3. (It's actually a positive, only one program that was affected- coulda been way worse). So now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm going to reinstall my backup, or just keep this and wait out your fix.. Again, any idea on a time frame?

~Michael


Hi Michael, we'd be keen to hear any more details you have about the specific problem you've encountered with BFD3 since upgrading. The bulk of the issues are related to installation, so if you have an existing installation that's affected, please let us know.

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Bfd3 has full files and folders permissions on my computer.
I launch and am prompted 3 times to with “bfd3” would like to access files in your Documents folder.
Then the notice comes up that my removable drive paths are not present (if that drive is attached I don’t see that notice but the rest progresses the same..

After 67 “bfd3” would like to access files in your Documents folder. prompts the screen goes white.

After prompt 78 the drums appear on screen.

After prompt 152 the screen comes up to now scan my data paths. I just close that.

After prompt 520 I can hit the drums and have them work, but the hijab still hasn’t loaded. This particular time I got the spinning coloured ball and that program has to be forced to quit.. but usually if I just keep hitting ‘ok’ eventually I can use the kit with no problems, but if I go to load a new kit or preset it all starts over. Hundreds of prompts.

My understanding is Catalina has a new disk permission system that bfd3 is not set up for, and some issues as far as permissions depend on the compiler being used for the program. ( like some ‘ruby’ program has to be set up differently as far as permissions because any program compiled with it- though listed under file and folder security access- will not actually have any permissions work through that security screen).

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi hat .. not hijab lol

Lawrence_fx
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Lawrence_fx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Damagical wrote:Bfd3 has full files and folders permissions on my computer.
I launch and am prompted 3 times to with “bfd3” would like to access files in your Documents folder.
Then the notice comes up that my removable drive paths are not present (if that drive is attached I don’t see that notice but the rest progresses the same..

After 67 “bfd3” would like to access files in your Documents folder. prompts the screen goes white.

After prompt 78 the drums appear on screen.

After prompt 152 the screen comes up to now scan my data paths. I just close that.

After prompt 520 I can hit the drums and have them work, but the hijab still hasn’t loaded. This particular time I got the spinning coloured ball and that program has to be forced to quit.. but usually if I just keep hitting ‘ok’ eventually I can use the kit with no problems, but if I go to load a new kit or preset it all starts over. Hundreds of prompts.

My understanding is Catalina has a new disk permission system that bfd3 is not set up for, and some issues as far as permissions depend on the compiler being used for the program. ( like some ‘ruby’ program has to be set up differently as far as permissions because any program compiled with it- though listed under file and folder security access- will not actually have any permissions work through that security screen).


Thanks - I'll pass this on to the team. Did the prompts appear for specific content in BFD, or did all content load and operate correctly after you passed the 520th prompt? We'll look into how these prompts can be mitigated - please do let us know if you encounter any other issues.

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

It was for all content. I next have given bfd3 ‘full disk access’. Which cut the number of prompts down dramatically - to about 12-15 prompts before bfd3 starts correctly. Every time bfd3 starts I receive these prompts- there seems to be no saving of permissions occurring.

Now this is for my drums stored on my computer- I’m currently out of town and will check the remainder of my drum library stored on a second drive when I get home. The removable drive data seemed to be having more issues before- so I’ll post the results of those tests when I have them.

Another minor issue is the bfd3 icon doesn’t work in Catalina- an easy fix was to add the icon to photos then copy and paste the pic to the application under ‘get info’ which made a new icon successfully.

aahladas
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby aahladas » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 am

I went ahead and updated after a Time Machine backup, and I'm seeing the same issues. With BFD3, every time I trigger a kit piece (by clicking it in the GUI), I get multiple requests for permission to access both Documents and "an external volume", which is the HD I have the samples installed to. Strangely, but positively, this does not happen with BFD2. For both BFD3 and BFD2, the icon artwork has disappeared, and has been replaced with generic Apple artwork.

The permission requests happen every time I trigger a new drum. If I click on the kick, it will make multiple requests, then after clicking "OK" multiple times, I will be able to keep triggering it without more requests. But if I move to a different drum, it then gives all the requests again. It happens every time I move to a different drum. I haven't tried either yet within Logic, which is my primary use. But if BFD2 works, I'll be able to stay on Catalina and use it until BFD3 is fixed.

I seem to recall that some new method of sample reading was implemented with BFD3, in order to lessen the amount stored in RAM or something like that. The issue has something to do with the way the program accesses the audio data. Catalina now wants permission for what it's doing.

User avatar
Pughey
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Chester, U.K.

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Pughey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm getting the exact same problem on my MacBook Pro after (accidentally) updating to Catalina.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
System:
BFD3 on Macbook Pro 13 retina
Reaper/Harrison Mixbus
Alesis DM10 customised & Alesis I/O trigger
Acoustic kit in the garage, in cases :(

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:31 pm

I know what you’re going through. Catalina has revamped the permissions system for much better security and its up to the developer to set up the permissions. When an app is the one basic app that runs then the permissions for that app are simple and straightforward, but bfd3 is only an 188 kB file in my case - so the permissions given it only work for that 188 kB file- but Bfd executed several other files as part of the program- and those files have no permissions set up- so as a user we have to wait for a bfd3 update that correctly sets the permissions for the bfd file structure compliant with the new OS X permissions system.

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Aahladas, as a temporary half fix..

Go to system preferences
Security and privacy
Privacy
Then scroll down to ‘full disk access’
Add bfd3 (you may have to unlock the little lock first)

This won’t fix all the prompts, but should cut them down dramatically

Damagical
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:31 pm

*** 95% Fix ***

Go to system preferences
Security and privacy
Privacy
Then scroll down to ‘full disk access’
Add bfd3 (you may have to unlock the little lock first)

Any access of your 'Documents' folder by BFD is going to result in prompts, so at your user account level of your hard drive create a new BFD Folder (in my case Macintosh HD/Users/terra/BFD Folder) then move BFD3, (and BFD2 plus any other folders you've created), and FXpansion folders from your 'documents' folder to your newly created folder.. this ends all prompts with the exception of one 'microphone' prompt and about 5 or 6 'removable drive' prompts. After the program starts I get a couple more 'removable drive' prompts when I access that drive but then Everything works fine after that- zero issues. If of course you don't use a removable drive, you'll be golden! And don't forget to tell BFD3 where the newly created BFD3 folder is so it can be scanned, and remove old paths associated with your 'documents' folder.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 103 guests