macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility - Page 6 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Damagical

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Damagical » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Hmm..I'm running the same versions of Logic and BFD3 and I don't have any issues with crashing.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:24 am

patpat wrote:I have reinstalled Catalina on an external harddrive and sent the crash logs to the support.

Thanks for that - it's possible that the crash is not related to changes introduced by Catalina, and our support team will be in touch.

patpat

Postby patpat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Damagical wrote:Hmm..I'm running the same versions of Logic and BFD3 and I don't have any issues with crashing.

Using Catalina 10.15.2?

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:40 pm

I'm currently running:

Catalina 10.15.2
Logic X 10.4.8
BFD 3 3.3.0 build 44

The only alteration I have made to my system, which should have nothing to do with this but I'll mention just incase is that I have installed the Java SE 6 runtime on Catalina.

But like I posted earlier in this thread, I've moved the BFD elements out of 'My Documents' folder, and given BFD3 full disk access (both of which I included instructions for earlier in this thread also).

I should mention I'm running a mid 2014 Macbook pro with quad core i7.

Orion13622

Postby Orion13622 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Looks like pretty much anyone who is using a Mac, Macbook Pro, or Macbook Air is going to run into this issue, myself included.

I just purchased BFD3 (a $349.00 package) from Sweetwater along with the Neil Peart drums to go with it (RIP Neil).
I can run this on PC without an issue, however when trying to run the installer on my Macbook Pro (2012 model), I get the icon that's greyed out. It's running MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 and all my other DAW software (Reason) works.

I've read this entire forum, and there isn't any recent response from Fxpansion on any updates. Come on guys, 400.00 for software is not cheap, and Catalina 10.15.2 has been out now for almost 6 months.

I have over 30 years in the IT field working on troubleshooting various issues with various clients, and I'm disturbed at the unprofessional silence given to a product we all spent hard earned money for. I also realize that not all of us have the fortunate experience of having 2 types of computers at our disposal, and that every Mac sold today comes with MacOS 10.15.2. You can't downgrade them easily, if at all.

With that being said, yes it can run on Windows, but the point is that Mac has always been the better environment to run your audio and video productions through. My DAW is Reason 10 Intro, and it doesn't have any issues installing into Mac OSX 10.15.2, so what's the real reason your software won't install? (Yes my Mac is 64bit, Catalina made that jump, as ignorant as it was on Apple's part)

I'm finding it very difficult to believe that you have now had almost 6 months to resolve this install issue, and at the same time you boast that you have a Mac installer on the downloads page, but state nothing about compatibility with Catalina.

I also think it's completely naive for you to expect your customers to stay with a less secure operating system, or alter their security preferences to accommodate your software (in very limited operating capacity I might add) just to satisfy your installation requirements especially given the fact that new Macs already come preloaded with Catalina, and two, everyone else has already addressed and resolved this issue.

Like everyone else here, I'm waiting for an answer, as reformatting my Macbook is NOT a viable nor acceptable option to install Mohave just for your software.

Please update us with your resolution. I've already read that many have moved on due to your lack of professional commitment to your product, your customers and went with your competitors.

I shouldn't have to run 2 different computers to produce my music, it should all work on one. Please resolve this issue.

Awaiting an answer....

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Orion13622 wrote:Looks like pretty much anyone who is using a Mac, Macbook Pro, or Macbook Air is going to run into this issue, myself included.

I just purchased BFD3 (a $349.00 package) from Sweetwater along with the Neil Peart drums to go with it (RIP Neil).
I can run this on PC without an issue, however when trying to run the installer, I get the icon that's greyed out.

I've read this entire forum, and there isn't any response from Fxpansion on any updates. Come on guys, 400.00 for software is not cheap, and Catalina 10.15.2 has been out now for almost 6 months.

I have over 30 years in the IT field working on troubleshooting various issues with various clients, and I'm disturbed at the unprofessional silence given to a product we all spent hard earned money for. I also realize that not all of us have the fortunate experience of having 2 types of computers at our disposal.

With that being said, yes it can run on Windows, but the point is that Mac has always been the better environment to run your audio and video productions through. My DAW is Reason 10 Intro, and it doesn't have any issues installing into Mac OSX 10.15.2, so what's the real reason your software won't install?

I'm finding it very difficult to believe that you have now had almost 6 months to resolve this install issue, and at the same time you boast that you have a Mac installer on the downloads page, but state nothing about compatibility with Catalina.

I also think it's completely naive for you to expect your customers to stay with a less secure operating system just to satisfy your installation requirements especially given the fact that new Macs already come preloaded with Catalina, and two, everyone else has already addressed and resolved this issue.

Like everyone else here, I'm waiting for an answer, as reformatting my Macbook is NOT a viable nor acceptable option to install Mohave just for your software.

Please update us with your resolution. I've already read that many have moved on due to your lack of professional commitment to your product, your customers and went with your competitors.

I shouldn't have to run 2 different computers to produce my music, it should all work on one. Please resolve this issue.

Awaiting an answer....

Hey there, we've been updating in this thread where possible on any progress we're making, and we're nearing completion of the updates to our software installers and software that was affected by the changes introduced in macOS Catalina. We very much appreciate that this has taken longer than expected, including additional work outside of the routine notarization/stapling that is required of all software installers running on Catalina, and would like to apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused.

Despite the delays, we are determined to release these updates as soon as possible, ideally within the next few weeks. We'll keep you updated on any and all further progress we make, as well as when new installers are available (which we'll announce in the relevant sub forums).

We'll be in touch again soon - thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Orion13622

Postby Orion13622 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Damagical wrote:I'm currently running:

Catalina 10.15.2
Logic X 10.4.8
BFD 3 3.3.0 build 44

The only alteration I have made to my system, which should have nothing to do with this but I'll mention just incase is that I have installed the Java SE 6 runtime on Catalina.

But like I posted earlier in this thread, I've moved the BFD elements out of 'My Documents' folder, and given BFD3 full disk access (both of which I included instructions for earlier in this thread also).

I presume you already had BFD3 installed in Mohave prior to the upgrade, as I cannot even get the installer to launch in Catalina 10.15.2. I get the typical "BFD3 Installer OSX needs to be updated" message, which is usually true for 32 bit software in a 64 bit environment on Apple, however I'm running Catalina and its 64 bit. The installer is version 3.3.0.44 which was directly downloaded from this site, with no warnings that it was incompatible with Catalina.

So I have no method to do what you offer as a small resolution, but even then, fxpansion should be resolving this, not looking for bandaids.

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Yeah- I had to install with Mojave then upgrade to Catalina.

eggsby

Postby eggsby » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Patiently waiting on an update...

My only machine is running catalina and my circumstances don't make it possible to downgrade...

Big thanks to the fxpansion crew for working so hard on keeping this stuff up to date!

Maybe the community could get a free expansion pack or something to make up for the lost production time :)

mvcl

Postby mvcl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:51 pm

I just need to vent. I had a wonderful working system in my MacBook Pro 2018, then it has a keyboard problem, Apple replaced the top case for the keyboard, and apparently had wiped the system and returned it fresh and new with Catalina on it. I was fine with all of this until I found out that I couldn't install BFD onto a system running Catalina. So I had to do a fresh install of Mojave since you can't "upgrade" a system to an earlier OS (Mojave). It turned out that a restore from Timemachine backups from Catalina wouldn't restore the whole machine back to Mojave - it would error out with undecipherable errors. Very frustrated, I was able to get most of the Applications and system settings restored, but not my user account. So I had to spend a WEEK manually picking through various user account folders, to get those out. Then I discovered that the BFD core content under the FXLicense Manager won't download at all. It gets the installers and then stalls forever (and crashes). That issue has continued for over 10 days. The downloader for the content is broken. (and I'm on a gigabit speed optical internet connection where it's trivial to download a 100GB file from a web link, email, sharefile, sendfile, Mega, etc.) FXpansion support were kind enough to offer a solution for that and ship it to me. But I'm still scratching my head why they wouldn't just send the file via a link in email people tend to do these days.

Now we're still all waiting for Catalina support from FxPansion. ugh. pain!

patpat

Postby patpat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Catalina 10.15.2
Logic X 10.4.8
BFD 3 3.3.0 build 44

When running Logic Pro X the first time on Catalina all AU plugins were validated again, weren't they?
On my system they were. After getting this crash I deleted the /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache folder and restarted my iMac. The plugins then needed to be validated again at the start of Logic. But BFD3 was not validated. When I opened the plugin manager I didn't have any chance to validate it.

i2mls@me.com

Postby i2mls@me.com » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Like the rest of you, I was pleasantly surprised to receive an early Christmas present from Avid back in December, announcing that they had finally released an upgrade with support for Catalina... We all waited more than a year for Mojave compatibility so Avid seems to be getting better with the timeliness of their OS-related releases. Merry Christmas to me; or so I thought! You can imagine the shock and awe when I realized that BFD does not have a compatible installer for Catalina. Shame on me for not checking the FXpansion web site before upgrading. Won't make that mistake twice. Too late; now I'm f^&@#ked.

I do a lot of recording and producing, but first and foremost I'm a drummer. I've been waiting patiently for over a month without the ability to record drums, and appalled by the lack of status communications from FXpansion (we're still working on it - thanks for your patience doesn't cut it). In my line of work, my customers expect a delivery date, and hitting deadlines. I cannot imagine what this must be like for folks who depend upon BFD for their livelihood, and make their living from music. Just unacceptable!

Been doing lots of research on alternate drum plugins lately... I can't just NOT play my drums, hoping maybe FXpansion will get a mitt and get in the game someday!!! Anyone else checking out alternatives? ToonTrack Superior Drummer is looking pretty good right about now... They don't seem to have any issues with Catalina! Hey FXpansion, pretend I'm a customer and persuade me not to jump to a competitor.

Respectfully Annoyed,
Michael Shannon

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:18 am

patpat wrote:

Catalina 10.15.2
Logic X 10.4.8
BFD 3 3.3.0 build 44

When running Logic Pro X the first time on Catalina all AU plugins were validated again, weren't they?
On my system they were. After getting this crash I deleted the /Users/xxx/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache folder and restarted my iMac. The plugins then needed to be validated again at the start of Logic. But BFD3 was not validated. When I opened the plugin manager I didn't have any chance to validate it.

Yeah- the plugins all needed to validate again, I had no issues though. Both BFD 2 and BFD 3 validated fine for me.

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:32 am

mvcl wrote:I just need to vent. I had a wonderful working system in my MacBook Pro 2018, then it has a keyboard problem, Apple replaced the top case for the keyboard, and apparently had wiped the system and returned it fresh and new with Catalina on it. I was fine with all of this until I found out that I couldn't install BFD onto a system running Catalina. So I had to do a fresh install of Mojave since you can't "upgrade" a system to an earlier OS (Mojave). It turned out that a restore from Timemachine backups from Catalina wouldn't restore the whole machine back to Mojave - it would error out with undecipherable errors. Very frustrated, I was able to get most of the Applications and system settings restored, but not my user account. So I had to spend a WEEK manually picking through various user account folders, to get those out. Then I discovered that the BFD core content under the FXLicense Manager won't download at all. It gets the installers and then stalls forever (and crashes). That issue has continued for over 10 days. The downloader for the content is broken. (and I'm on a gigabit speed optical internet connection where it's trivial to download a 100GB file from a web link, email, sharefile, sendfile, Mega, etc.) FXpansion support were kind enough to offer a solution for that and ship it to me. But I'm still scratching my head why they wouldn't just send the file via a link in email people tend to do these days.

Now we're still all waiting for Catalina support from FxPansion. ugh. pain!

I had installed Catalina and had everything running, then I bought Lexicon LXP at their xmas sale and had to wipe and reinstall to Mojave to install LXP and BFD again. My first 3 installs of Mojave all turned out badly once I started installing software... wipe install and repeat. one of them I got everything installed then the upgrade back to Catalina messed the whole system up and I had to wipe and start over yet again- that time Sucked. the 4th finally worked. Then I upgraded back to Catalina, successfully (thank goodness). Took me 4 or 5 days to finally get it all reinstalled. It was a Massive pain in da backside. I feel your pain.

patpat

Postby patpat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 am

Damagical wrote:
Yeah- the plugins all needed to validate again, I had no issues though. Both BFD 2 and BFD 3 validated fine for me.

What is the componet version of your BFD3 AU component ?

My validation log:

validating Audio Unit BFD3 by FXpansion:

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.7.0
Copyright 2003-2019, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

--------------------------------------------------
VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'BFD3' - 'FXPN'
Manufacturer String: FXpansion
AudioUnit Name: BFD3
Component Version: 1.80.0 (0x15000)

* * PASS
TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
Time to open AudioUnit: 335.050 ms
Opening runtime log at path: /Users/patrikbernhard/Library/Logs/BFD3 Runtime.log

validation result: Validation failed

Return to “General Discussion”