Forum

FXpansion Forum

AmberFX Problems

Support for DCAM: Synth Squad

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

dagon21

AmberFX Problems

Postby dagon21 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 am

So I have this nice pad sound in my daw, and I think: "won't it be great fun to run it through the formant filters of Amber!?" Sadly, I ran into these problems:

1. External audio is only allowed to be MONO? Is this true?
2. There is no switch to allow Amber to act as a standalone filter without having to trigger via the "synth envelope". Can't I just have the external audio be on without having to play a note?

Am I missing something?

I love the sound of DCAM Synth Squad, but I really don't enjoy using the interface. I find that I'm just not using them because of this. Is this a popular opinion?

Adam

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am

As far as I know it is mono. The FX versions are synths with an audio input. They are not filter effect plugins. You use them in the same way as an analogue synth with an extra input for the filter. I can appreciate you wanting it to be an effect plugin, but it would have involved making a whole other type of plugin, which is simply a different product altogether.
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

dagon21

Postby dagon21 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:14 am

mayur_FX wrote:As far as I know it is mono. The FX versions are synths with an audio input. They are not filter effect plugins. You use them in the same way as an analogue synth with an extra input for the filter. I can appreciate you wanting it to be an effect plugin, but it would have involved making a whole other type of plugin, which is simply a different product altogether.

Last I looked it was called "AmberFX". It is an effect plugin. I get what it's supposed to be, I have had quite a few of those synths. I also have a large modular synth. The thing is... what good is it? Why make it in the first place? It's not a forty year-old keyboard, it's a plug-in. It would be very simple to make the filter section pass a stereo signal, and it should. I don't think that will keep anybody who wants to buy Etch from going that route.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 am

At the time of design it was both a philosophical and CPU consideration to keep the inputs mono. The output is still stereo, but the inputs sum to mono. If you only have one voice in use, you'd only have one filter, which would result in only the left channel being processed. So the minimum unison would be 2, which for something like Amber, at the time of design, would've really hammered the CPU.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 am

It's called AmberFX because most hosts require them to be inserted as an FX plugin. To answer your question 'what good is it', the intended use is to use another synth going into the input while you play both of them with the same MIDI input. It's like hooking up 2 analog synths via CV and gate and sending one into the filter of another. Or controlling a modular synth oscillator with a CV signal from an analog keyboard and sending its signal into the filter input for an extra osc.

You *can* use it as a filter if you want by holding down a note. If you want the convenience of a regular plugin dedicated to FX and stereo use, you can buy Etch. No, it is not a simple exercise to make the synth a stereo filter. The signal path in any synth of this type is mono. The stereo output is because of the panning VCA.
Mayur Maha

dagon21

Well maybe someday.

Postby dagon21 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 am

Well it's just too bad. I wish it could do this. Maybe I will look at Etch when some of the weird little glitches I have with synth squad go away. Does Etch have something like Amber's formant filters?

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I agree it would be good if DCAM did absolutely everything, but there's a limit to how much stuff can be crammed into a release. Take a look at the manual for DCAM: Synth Squad - there is a staggering amount of functionality in there (speaking as a musician and not as part of a software company). Surely it's better to check out and enjoy the countless things that it CAN do (and the many things that it does that nothing else can do), rather than complain about arbitrary things that it can't?

Etch does not currently have any formant filtering. What I would advise you to do is to use Plogue Bidule - you can set up 2 instances of Amber and freely route audio into their inputs, maybe even cable up one of Bidule's step-sequencers to it to get an automatic constant stream of notes going to the synths. The amount of hoops you have to jump through are minimal compared to doing this kind of thing in hardware. Yes, Bidule is an extra expense, but it's like a patchbay in a hardware studio - an extra expense but kind of vital to efficient non-conventional routing of signals.
Mayur Maha

dagon21

Postby dagon21 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:07 pm

Bidule? Seriously???? I would never go back to using that.

I just used the racks in Live to make a stereo version, so there it is.

Thing is: I have yet to really enjoy synth squad or use it in a finished piece. I'll try to dig in, but I can't even get them to work in Studio One. Sitting a bit frustrated here.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 am

What is the problem in Studio One? We don't know of any problems with DCAM/Studio One at this time.
Mayur Maha

Rimby

Postby Rimby » Mon May 07, 2012 2:09 am

They work fine in Studio One 2 Producer on my machine.

andy-cytomic

Re: AmberFX Problems

Postby andy-cytomic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:24 am

dagon21 wrote:So I have this nice pad sound in my daw, and I think: "won't it be great fun to run it through the formant filters of Amber!?" Sadly, I ran into these problems:

1. External audio is only allowed to be MONO? Is this true?
2. There is no switch to allow Amber to act as a standalone filter without having to trigger via the "synth envelope". Can't I just have the external audio be on without having to play a note?

Am I missing something?

I love the sound of DCAM Synth Squad, but I really don't enjoy using the interface. I find that I'm just not using them because of this. Is this a popular opinion?

Adam

You can get stereo processing, just use two unison voices, then use the unison mod source to pan the outputs, this also pans the inputs hard left and right so you get stereo processing. You will need to sequence one note, but if you click use the HOLD feature then this will stay sounding for the whole song.
DSP & D-CAM FXpansion

Return to “DCAM: Synth Squad”