DCAM2 suggestions? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

DCAM2 suggestions?

Support for DCAM: Synth Squad

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

rockreid

DCAM2 suggestions?

Postby rockreid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:33 pm

with the lowering of the price of DCAM is it possible that a new version could be coming in the next year? If that's the case, then I have a suggestion for adding a synthesis drum machine as an additional item... one that could be placed in a 4th slot in Fusor. Perhaps even just integrate this new drum synth into Fusor so that one can modulate the drums and other synths together quickly and with a great deal of fun...this could be a very cool feature and would not interfere with the BFD product (which is multi-sample based) line.

A tough, gritty sounding synthesis-based drum machine could give DCAM a big edge over other products at its price point.

evanclay

Postby evanclay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 am

First, Im not holding my breath for any new synth products. It will be a shock to me if it happens in 2012 at all. Having said that, Im hoping for a new synth. Maybe a wave table or wave shaper synth that they'll add to the lineup. A drum machine does make sense though.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:23 pm

The only problem I can see with adding a drum synth to DCAM is that Fusor's sequencer is not that suitable for drum sequencing compared to, for example, Geist.. that said, keep an ear to the ground, stranger things have happened :arrow:
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Paul_fx
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby Paul_fx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Angus_FX wrote:...stranger things have happened :arrow:

That horse becoming pope? :wink:

-Paul

dagon21

DCAM 2 Request!

Postby dagon21 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 am

Too many logos.

Yes, I am using Amber/Fusor/Strobe/etc.. made by a company called fxpansion.

Yes, each one has it's own action hero.

I get it.

Please stop stabbing my eyes.

DANGER

Postby DANGER » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Angus_FX wrote: that said, keep an ear to the ground, stranger things have happened :arrow:

I would love to have a tremor osc in Fusor or one of the synths.

evanclay

Postby evanclay » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Oh God, I hope that they add something more "digital" to this line up. I know there are plenty of wavetable synths out there, but of what I can think of; Massive has GREAT waves but is getting a bit outdated with about 6 years on the market (filters don't do it for me). Z3TA+2 is cool but has a cumbersome mod matrix in my opinion, Harmor is complex as Hell and strays a bit too far off of the conventional synth layout, and Zebra 2's waveshapeing only allows for so many points of articulation + when importing waves from say, Z3TA, they come out sounding dull. Don't get me wrong, all these synths are great, but I can only imagine a fxpansion wavetable synth with transmod that'll blow all these synths out of the water.

dagon21

Update the interface

Postby dagon21 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 pm

I want to clarify my last post with a bit less snarkiness.

The UI in DCAM is frustrating. I know someone worked long and hard on it, but I think it could use some refining now.

1. Why do the knobs have to be "shiny" on top. They should have longer indicators so it's easier to identify the setting at a glance.
2. Take the logo and the "gloss" off of the plot. It's distracting.
3. Why have a knob for something that has two functions? A switch is better.
4. Give more numerical feedback on the controls. I want some indicators so I can see what something is set at without going to it.
5. Less "3D" on the surface, it looks like an aluminum lunch tray.
6. Mod Slots are confusing. Find a way to make them clearer and more usable. What "third" am I clicking on? What are they really doing?
7. Decode the filter types. It would only take a few more letters.
8. For buttons: put the name on the button and give a square button. It looks better and is faster to use.
9. Switches: ie; the ramp switch. Why have a knob? There is enough space for a row of highlighted buttons that would be easier to identify.

I think these are all rational and appropriate requests for the interface.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 am

dagon21 - thanks for the feedback.

Regarding certain parameters being knobs - it's so that they can be modulated. Modulation doesn't have to be 'continuous' like moving it with the mod wheel. TransMod lets you modulate per voice or per note for example - so you could have a different filter response per voice/note.

I definitely recommend trying to understand why certain things are the way they are - these are very deep synths.
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

evanclay

Postby evanclay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 pm

DCAM's UI is actually my favorite. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I even like the marketing gimmick with the robot that correspond to each one, seriously. It just seems fun.

So-called

Postby So-called » Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 am

Same here. One of the better plug UI designs around.

dagon21

Postby dagon21 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:24 am

mayur_FX wrote:dagon21 - thanks for the feedback.

Regarding certain parameters being knobs - it's so that they can be modulated. Modulation doesn't have to be 'continuous' like moving it with the mod wheel. TransMod lets you modulate per voice or per note for example - so you could have a different filter response per voice/note.

I definitely recommend trying to understand why certain things are the way they are - these are very deep synths.

How does having a graphical representation of a knob or a switch have anything to do with how the function is modulated?

I have discussed TransMod with a few friends and old customers (BTW I used to be an fxpansion dealer), and it seems to be confusing to a lot of people. Since this is a forum for your customer base, maybe you should kick in a little: "That's an interesting perspective, thanks for the input!" As designers of the software, you will always suffer from the perspective of the engineer and not as a regular user. Please consider my input as a savvy user, salesperson, and user of many analog synths for 12 years.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

dagon21 wrote:How does having a graphical representation of a knob or a switch have anything to do with how the function is modulated?

Switches don't work with the transmod system. It would be too complex and ugly to make switches work with the transmod system, so anything that requires itself to be a transmod destination is going to be a slider or a knob. That's just the way it is.

I have discussed TransMod with a few friends and old customers (BTW I used to be an fxpansion dealer), and it seems to be confusing to a lot of people. Since this is a forum for your customer base, maybe you should kick in a little: "That's an interesting perspective, thanks for the input!" As designers of the software, you will always suffer from the perspective of the engineer and not as a regular user. Please consider my input as a savvy user, salesperson, and user of many analog synths for 12 years.

I hate to sound contrarian, but transmod is regularly cited as being easy to use and more importantly, fun to use! Myself and Mayur are not designers of the software. We both have auxiliary roles, and we are very capable of seeing the shortcomings (as well as the benefits!) of the designs in use.

To me, "That's an interesting perspective, thanks for the input!" sounds really dismissive, and we don't want to come across that way to our users. Some of your points are definitely valid though. I particularly agree with having more numerical feedback on controls. I also agree our filter types could be better explained, this is something for internal discussion at FX for the future I think.

I struggle to understand however how you can be confused by the modslots and where you're clicking on them. Surely your mouse cursor strongly implies which third you're clicking on??

maceasy

Postby maceasy » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm

One thing I would really like is rating system for patches, or tagging of some sort, so that I can quickly build a list of favourite presets after scrolling through loads. Omnisphere has one - seems you are close with your patch browser, just add some refinements? Cheers

evanclay

Postby evanclay » Tue May 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Maceasy,
Agreed. I'd been hoping for a rating/favorite system.

dragon21,
I believe the first thing mayur_FX said was "dragon21 - thanks for the feedback"

Drew_fx,
I agree with you 100%. Transmod is so easy and fun to use for me. So much so, in fact, that I can't even use others synths because their modulation systems seem slow and cumbersome in comparison.

Return to “DCAM: Synth Squad”