DCAM2 suggestions? - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

DCAM2 suggestions?

Support for DCAM: Synth Squad

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

phyro

Postby phyro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Please!!

fix the menu item "bring to top" to bring the application ontop of the main title bar on the top mac tool bar. or add a menu item to reset the window position. kinda sucks when you move the grab bar under the tool bar by mistake.. theres no way to get the application unstuck

thanks

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi Mayur,
Thanks for the tip!

I experimented with it a bit but hard a hard time getting a really clear sine-like wave. Especially in the upper octaves.

When you filter in the waveshaper section I assume you leave the "Drive" to 0. Then apply some LPF to about 2k?
Then in the master "Amp" section, do you go negative with the "Amp" setting?

Thanks!

Ben

mayur_FX wrote:
umfufu wrote:And I'd like to see a clean sine wave in Cypher.
;)

Turn down the filter drive (and turn up the Level control accordingly in the VCA) for cleaner tones.

Cypher doesn't have a sine wave but you can use a bit of filtering in the waveshaper section to make the triangle sine-like.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 am

Yes - play around with those controls to suit.

Using low Filter Drive and Amp settings is crucial for cleaner sounds - turn up the Level control to make up the gain without adding distortion. You can definitely get pretty clean - I tend to go very low with Filter Drive especially: -20dB or even further down.

It's important to remember that these are modelled synths though, and you won't be able to achieve the absolutely perfect waveforms that you would in a typical digital synth.

Another thing to try is a higher oversampling value - you don't say what you're currently using but I'd recommend 2x for Cypher for general duties, and try higher values if you want to go super-clean.
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:43 am

Okay great.
Thanks for the tips. I'll play around with em.

Ben

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 pm

A separate feature request would be to please make the arpeggiator speed modulatable by the TransMod system.

EDIT: Sorry, actually what I meant to say was that it would be great to make the arpeggiator speed knob AUTOMATABLE. Thanks.

DANGER

Postby DANGER » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Tremor osc.

Decapitated Giraffe

Postby Decapitated Giraffe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 pm

DANGER wrote:Tremor osc.

Yes, Please.... DCAMs only weakness imo is the thickness of the bass. Lower notes have a tendancy to deteriorate. It can be found, but is found much easier and more potent in the "pitchless" tremor OSC.

Color code Transmods slots- make them active like tremor but in different colors

Quit uglifying the GUI, please. This doesn't mean christmas lights and streaming video panels. The GUI is both the face of your product (and company), nothing says "i don't care" like an empty closet with a few door knobs hung on the wall. Grouping and coloring also help understand functions to the less experienced user. I just finally downloaded the demo for geist this week. It truth, it was so bare i had no desire to look at it(not that it's at all a bad product). Dictionaries aren't meant for pleasurable reading! Tremor, Etch, Geist, Maul... i am looking at you!

if it must be included, disable midi plotters ability. In fact, design a 'free' midi plotter that will be updateable and will tie in all future products with presets as a seperate entity. This way, you don't have to keep re-designing it with every new plugin. They eat space, processing power, and annoy you to death every time you load a preset that auto-populates rhythms that play over your DAW constructed beat(BFD-2!!!). Automation and plotting in my DAW is very potent, cut this cost , time and processing power because it's completely unnecessary for some users.

Wavetable synthesis- w/wave blending/transmod transitioning(kind of like Harmor, maybe?), and ability to import waves to add to tables. I love my Novation ultranova but being able to add more WAVS would be endlessly SUH-WEET!

Keep it under $300, and i will order it yesterday! Or maybe make it modular...

Thanks for reading!
8)

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 am

Out of total curiosity, is there any timeframe as to when we might expect a DCAM 2?
Thanks. Looking forward.

Ben

jonathan_five

Postby jonathan_five » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 pm

I can't believe you guys are ready, for Synth Squad 2.0 already!! Than again, I am a bit of a methodical guy, a bit of a picky guy, and when Synth Squad was released, I decided I would wait for my next computer, before I even demo'd the product. I demo'd the product over the summer, and I decided, "wow, they really do sound awesome; do I want to invest the learning curve."

Its not the TransMod system, which turned out to be, "a piece of cake. Its not setting up Fusor, or becoming aware of what an LFO is/does, or how an ASDR works."

The learning curve in Synth Squad, is getting to know, how the synths sound, as you change their parameters. Not, "how to make a bass sound." How to get, "to the bass sound."

Decapitated Giraffe wrote:
DANGER wrote:Tremor osc.

Yes, Please.... DCAMs only weakness imo is the thickness of the bass. Lower notes have a tendancy to deteriorate. It can be found, but is found much easier and more potent in the "pitchless" tremor OSC.

There comes a htz, in a bass frequencies where the human ear is no longer able to discern pitch with relevant accuracy. If you can hear, and point out to me A440, you might be surprised to get it wrong, when I ask you to point out A110.

I think Synth Squad has amazing abilities in the low frequencies but the logistics are a little tricky.

Bass sounds, work best, when they are simple sounds. So automatically, I think we can nix using Fusor for bass, lest we want to sequence with the Animator. Most producers have a tendency to, "over-fatten, or mix bass in too loud." I would be apprehensive to use Fusor to layer 3 Strobes, for the basses in my music, unless I was making something incredibly complex.

Another thing I think we can nix, when it comes to bass and Synth Squad is Amber. Making bass with Amber is kinda like, "hitting a nail with a screwdriver." Although it can be done, its going to be a pita, and give you a headache for the effort.

:wink:

Already we have two tools in Synth Squad, that might not be the most advantageous for bass. Why? Because simplicity is the road, to great synth bass. Let's break down Cypher:

As an FM Synth, Cypher joins its brothers in, "the kingdom, of absolutely fabulous sound, albeit extremely difficult to make, bass." FM bass, is the hardest bass to make, and if you can do it, so it sounds good, than it sounds absolutely fantastic. Having bass frequency trouble with Cypher is unfortunately a practice issue, and not a Synth Squad weakness.

Strobe..

This is where I think the bulk of all Synth Squad bass sounds should come from. I have already made absolutely fat bass on Strobe. And its so easy to do. Just research some articles about programming subtractive bass, and you should be alright.

Furthermore, I'd like to add that in a song you listen to, in a proper mix, you will have bass from an instrument, but do not forget that it is also running through compression, and eq, and a little delay, and possibly a bass enhancing processor... You would be surprised how thin, some of the bass is, if you just listen to an instrument without the extra mixing technique. Fat, "Breaking Benjamin," modern rock bass: Starts its life out, as a bass guitar, getting recorded direct. Ultra-Fat, mega-fat, and fat fat, D n B bass, is usually layers of bass, independently processed, with various techniques...

Cheers

schmidi

Postby schmidi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 pm

I hope there are more installments in this line as well, but, I definitely don't feel like I'm hitting a creative wall with SS1. Keep on programing folks!

chilly7

Postby chilly7 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 am

Speaking about UI, i think it is actualy very good for this synth, and i really like, i do not understand why some people do not like it.
Anyway to make awrybody happy keep the old style UI and ad another UI for extra 10 buks :)

mpost

Postby mpost » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm

the (G)UI is an interaction mess.. it has to improve, a lot..

some, of many other issues: http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7576751

taifun

Re: Update the interface

Postby taifun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

dagon21 wrote:I want to clarify my last post with a bit less snarkiness.

The UI in DCAM is frustrating. I know someone worked long and hard on it, but I think it could use some refining now.

1. Why do the knobs have to be "shiny" on top. They should have longer indicators so it's easier to identify the setting at a glance.
2. Take the logo and the "gloss" off of the plot. It's distracting.
3. Why have a knob for something that has two functions? A switch is better.
4. Give more numerical feedback on the controls. I want some indicators so I can see what something is set at without going to it.
5. Less "3D" on the surface, it looks like an aluminum lunch tray.
6. Mod Slots are confusing. Find a way to make them clearer and more usable. What "third" am I clicking on? What are they really doing?
7. Decode the filter types. It would only take a few more letters.
8. For buttons: put the name on the button and give a square button. It looks better and is faster to use.
9. Switches: ie; the ramp switch. Why have a knob? There is enough space for a row of highlighted buttons that would be easier to identify.

I think these are all rational and appropriate requests for the interface.

+1 on all these remarks!

chilly7

Re: Update the interface

Postby chilly7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:51 pm

taifun wrote:
dagon21 wrote:I want to clarify my last post with a bit less snarkiness.

The UI in DCAM is frustrating. I know someone worked long and hard on it, but I think it could use some refining now.

1. Why do the knobs have to be "shiny" on top. They should have longer indicators so it's easier to identify the setting at a glance.
2. Take the logo and the "gloss" off of the plot. It's distracting.
3. Why have a knob for something that has two functions? A switch is better.
4. Give more numerical feedback on the controls. I want some indicators so I can see what something is set at without going to it.
5. Less "3D" on the surface, it looks like an aluminum lunch tray.
6. Mod Slots are confusing. Find a way to make them clearer and more usable. What "third" am I clicking on? What are they really doing?
7. Decode the filter types. It would only take a few more letters.
8. For buttons: put the name on the button and give a square button. It looks better and is faster to use.
9. Switches: ie; the ramp switch. Why have a knob? There is enough space for a row of highlighted buttons that would be easier to identify.

I think these are all rational and appropriate requests for the interface.

+1 on all these remarks!

-1 :)

P.s. I like GUI...

taifun

Postby taifun » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:53 am

lol, chilly :) don't you think it is weird to have a knob for a parameter with only 2 values? would be easier to be able to click it once to switch to the other value imo... Also, a one-click method to reset parameters like Env1 amount or pitch to zero would be kind of nice to have!

Return to “DCAM: Synth Squad”