is this a bug in layer filters? - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

is this a bug in layer filters?

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am

The filters DO have a noticable cut when activated.

This IS by design, according to the developer. If you want a more transparent filter, add one to the layer effects for the layer or pad - added bonus is that it can be modulated in realtime too.

M-Goldie

Postby M-Goldie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 pm

hi drew

as discussed in my earlier posts, this is not the behaviour of an analogue filter. when a filter is wide open it doesn't effect the sound whether it is analogue, digital or modelled.

if the developer is talking about the subtleties of passing a signal through an analogue filter - i.e. an analogue circuit, then that would be reasonable but that is not what the filter is there for and anyway to just cut out all the high end is not the behaviour of analogue circuits.

M

Paul_fx
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby Paul_fx » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 pm

M-Goldie wrote:hi drew

as discussed in my earlier posts, this is not the behaviour of an analogue filter. when a filter is wide open it doesn't effect the sound whether it is analogue, digital or modelled.

if the developer is talking about the subtleties of passing a signal through an analogue filter - i.e. an analogue circuit, then that would be reasonable but that is not what the filter is there for and anyway to just cut out all the high end is not the behaviour of analogue circuits.

M

Hi M-Goldie,

Im afraid i have to disagree. Many analogue filters will "colour" the sound even when wide open. The moog ladder filter for example. A purely 'digital' filter will possibly not colour the sound, however, that was not what i wanted for the Geist layer filters - I wanted something with some bite and colour - A clinical digital EQ response (i.e. something like a Biquad) would give less colour, less character, but would open the sound fully.

The frequency response of the Geist layer filter goes up to SR/2, however, the analogue roll off on the filter leads to a colouring of the sound - the amount of roll over varies depending upon the amount of resonance applied in a non linear way. This filter is modelled on the moog ladder filter, and is accurate in the way that it responds.

If you dont want the filter to colour the sound at all, simply disable it, and use a filter from the layer FX as Drew suggested. These filters are modelled on different types of analogue filters and will not be as noticeable in the colouring (well some of them will, but you can experiment to find one that matches your taste).

It is very unlikely that the layer filter itself will be changed.

-Paul

M-Goldie

Postby M-Goldie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:02 pm

hi paul
thanks for you reply, i'm sure you've studied way more filters than me and if this is the way you want it to sound then fair enough, its your product after all :)
personally i think the high frequency roll off is unnecessarily severe but i will take the workaround advice.
cheers
M

stoutlyric

Postby stoutlyric » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

M-Goldie wrote:hi paul
thanks for you reply, i'm sure you've studied way more filters than me and if this is the way you want it to sound then fair enough, its your product after all :)
personally i think the high frequency roll off is unnecessarily severe but i will take the workaround advice.
cheers
M

I agree, unnecessarily severe. I'm all for filters with color, but it seems odd here to be the main filter choice.

A compromise would work great where you could select a moog style if color was needed, but the default filter would be more conventional. In Dcam you can select between filter styles.

scrappy

Postby scrappy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 pm

stoutlyric wrote:
I agree, unnecessarily severe. I'm all for filters with color, but it seems odd here to be the main filter choice.

A compromise would work great where you could select a moog style if color was needed, but the default filter would be more conventional. In Dcam you can select between filter styles.

+1. Love the sound, but I'd really prefer a cleaner model there, since those are the filters (for me anyway) easiest to grab when mixing layers. That isn't the stage I find coloring always desirable.

Gy2012

Postby Gy2012 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

I just add some drive and res if the highs get to dull.
btw. the drive knob roxx! <3
Presonus Studio One Pro 1.6.5 , Windows 7 x64, GEIST!

M-Goldie

Postby M-Goldie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 pm

i agree with scrappy and stoutlyric - if these filters are going to stay then we need some more options in the layers palette. the workarounds suggested are not really helpful when what we are talking about is balancing up sample layers.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm

M-Goldie wrote:i agree with scrappy and stoutlyric - if these filters are going to stay then we need some more options in the layers palette. the workarounds suggested are not really helpful when what we are talking about is balancing up sample layers.

You know about the layer mixer, right? You can add effects to each layer independently, and there are loads of filter types and shapes available.

Return to “Geist”