FR: Shortlist improvement - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FR: Shortlist improvement

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

setvice

FR: Shortlist improvement

Postby setvice » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 am

I love the shortlists feature in the browser but it would be good to be able to drag and drop a file from the browser directly onto the shortlists on the bottom left to add to them. Also a 'save' feature would be good instead of just 'save as'.
This would speed up workflow significantly for those loooong days of building kits.

kickthebox

Re: FR: Shortlist improvement

Postby kickthebox » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:45 pm

setvice wrote:I love the shortlists feature in the browser but it would be good to be able to drag and drop a file from the browser directly onto the shortlists on the bottom left to add to them. Also a 'save' feature would be good instead of just 'save as'.
This would speed up workflow significantly for those loooong days of building kits.

+1

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:52 am

Guys,

If you turn OFF auto-load you will be able to drag files from the top half of the browser to the shortlist view. This is by design.

setvice

Postby setvice » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks Drew but thats not what i mean.
Say for example i am going through a sample pack with various hits to add them to shortlists. My shortlists are 'kick', 'snare', 'hats' etc and it seems a bit clumsy having to 'save as' so often if i want to quickly add samples to their shortlists. What would be ideal would be to click on a sample and drag to the shortlist name to add it. ( as opposed to underneath it) Personally i would even rather that it just autosaves the shortlist without any dialog pop up. If you don't want a sample in a shortlist, delete it! I just find it a little awkward and clumsy at the moment. Hope this makes more sense.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Sorry, but no, I don't think I'm quite understanding. Any chance you can make a video showing what you want it to do?

setvice

Postby setvice » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 am

I'm not sure how to make a video of it, but i think a better way of explaining what i want is to compare it to 'playlists' in itunes. I think shortlists would be better if they worked exactly like that! In itunes you don't have to save playlists, all the songs you add are always there and you can easily drag and drop without having to open the playlist. You don't have to save them but if you need to you can export them.
Also it is a bit long winded to create a new shortlist. Maybe I'm missing something but right now if i have a shortlist selected and i want to create a new one i have to clear all of the samples in the shortlist then save a new one. It would be great to be able to right click in the blank area under the shortlists and 'create new shortlist' or something to that effect. Perhaps what i am asking is a bit ambitious and i am completely ignorant when it comes to coding but this would speed my workflow up considerably! Sorry if i sound like i'm wingeing because i LOVE the shortlist idea but with a few tweaks it would be much better (for me!)

Ghebrehiwet

Postby Ghebrehiwet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 pm

setvice wrote:I'm not sure how to make a video of it, but i think a better way of explaining what i want is to compare it to 'playlists' in itunes. I think shortlists would be better if they worked exactly like that! In itunes you don't have to save playlists, all the songs you add are always there and you can easily drag and drop without having to open the playlist. You don't have to save them but if you need to you can export them.
Also it is a bit long winded to create a new shortlist. Maybe I'm missing something but right now if i have a shortlist selected and i want to create a new one i have to clear all of the samples in the shortlist then save a new one. It would be great to be able to right click in the blank area under the shortlists and 'create new shortlist' or something to that effect. Perhaps what i am asking is a bit ambitious and i am completely ignorant when it comes to coding but this would speed my workflow up considerably! Sorry if i sound like i'm wingeing because i LOVE the shortlist idea but with a few tweaks it would be much better (for me!)

I totally get it. It seems really strange that it isnt drag n drop. To "Save as" all the time while building up your shortlist is non-constructive way to do it. I read the manual to see if I got it wrong.

Is their a easy way to build up shortlist containing your favorite snares, kicks, hi hats etc?

I would drag and drop them to folders located under "FAVOURITES", but thats not possible.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Was just talking to Paul about this. All suggestions make good sense. Have added to the list of things to be looked at. No promises on when, but we're in agreement :)

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Great news that it's on the look list! More drag and drop features would definitely feel a lot better in use. It would be great if we could transfer them between computers, too.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Ghebrehiwet

Postby Ghebrehiwet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 am

This thread started in august 2011. It scares me that you would wait so long to improve shortlist.

To me, creating shortlists is essential to make the workflow more effecient. This improvement should be more highly prioritized because building shortlists with latest version of Geist is a time-consuming process. You probably working on a major update with many new features, but the shortlist improvement should have been implemented long time ago.

Ghebrehiwet

Postby Ghebrehiwet » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 am

While we are on the subject. How do I refresh the shortlist? Or allocate location? My shortlist is currently bugging out and is not synced to the shortlist folder. Please see attached image.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 1.16.44 PM.png
Screenshot
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 1.16.44 PM.png (337.19 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Did you manually rename those in the Finder? Shortlists have to be renamed from within Geist.

Ghebrehiwet

Postby Ghebrehiwet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 pm

I might have renamed it in finder.

But the initial issue was that I wanted to create a new shortlist, and there is no "add a new shortlist" feature that I could find while another shortlist is already open. So I had to restart geist every time I wanted to create new shortlist. I read the manual and couldnt find it there as well.

So what do I do know? How can I access the shortlists that are not visible? I have restarted computer and Geist multiple times.

Thanks in advance.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 am

To create a new shortlist file, just clear the shortlist panel (right click menu), build your shortlist and then save it. Unlike say iTunes playlists, shortlists are saved after they are created, not before. We are looking at changing this behaviour as it seems to confuse quite a few users.

Ghebrehiwet

Postby Ghebrehiwet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am

Rory_FX wrote:To create a new shortlist file, just clear the shortlist panel (right click menu), build your shortlist and then save it. Unlike say iTunes playlists, shortlists are saved after they are created, not before. We are looking at changing this behaviour as it seems to confuse quite a few users.

I see. "Clear shortlist" I assumed meant erasing everything in that shortlist.

But how do I access the shortlists that has disappeared from Geist due to name change?

Return to “Geist”