Multiple Geists -vs multiple outputs in Logic - how much more CPU intensive? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Multiple Geists -vs multiple outputs in Logic - how much more CPU intensive?

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Tobypearce

Multiple Geists -vs multiple outputs in Logic - how much more CPU intensive?

Postby Tobypearce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am

Hi,

I mainly use Geist to program individual drum layers. I always want each layer (clap, hats etc) to go to its own channel in logic, so there are two options: Have one instance of geist with multiple outputs and put each channel on a separate engine in Geist, and then use aux channels in logic. Or simply have multiple Geist instances.

I've always done the first because it feels more efficient, but it does have some drawbacks.

I'm now wondering, how much more CPU intensive would it be to simple have loads of separate instances of Geist? Does this use much more CPU cycles than having one geist with multiple engines?

I'd love to know.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Dunno, but you could set up an empty project, make a Geist instance that only uses 1 engine, duplicate the track 7 times, and then report back with the results ;)

It'll be more efficient to use just the one instance though.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Paul_fx
Righteous Drum Lord

Re: Multiple Geists -vs multiple outputs in Logic - how much more CPU intensive?

Postby Paul_fx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Tobypearce wrote:Hi,

I mainly use Geist to program individual drum layers. I always want each layer (clap, hats etc) to go to its own channel in logic, so there are two options: Have one instance of geist with multiple outputs and put each channel on a separate engine in Geist, and then use aux channels in logic. Or simply have multiple Geist instances.

I've always done the first because it feels more efficient, but it does have some drawbacks.

I'm now wondering, how much more CPU intensive would it be to simple have loads of separate instances of Geist? Does this use much more CPU cycles than having one geist with multiple engines?

I'd love to know.

There is some overhead in each instance of Geist, but very little. Most of the cost is in triggering the voices themselves.
The main cost of multiple Geists will be the memory overhead of the buffers we use internally...
Personally i'd go with multiple outputs. But then most of my projects have like 5 Geists in them as well. TBH i've never found the CPU that much of an issue!

HTH

-Paul

Return to “Geist”