Note Repeat Pains - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Note Repeat Pains

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_fx, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

jblongz

Note Repeat Pains

Postby jblongz » Thu May 28, 2015 7:59 pm

The note repeat function in Geist needs to be rethought. There are some function anomalies that professional users cannot ignore.

- Timings cannot be switched conveniently on the fly.
- Midi from DAW is affected when I change the repeat timing for new notes
- Recording triplets into pattern grid do not play back properly

I am willing to fly to Germany on weekends to offer some complimentary design consulting....seriously, before something gets left out of the next major release. I know what the people want.
Last edited by jblongz on Fri May 29, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jspark

True

Postby jspark » Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Agreed,

Note repeat should be a pad assignable and one should have dynamic control of the timing parameters.
In today's music, this is a must. The most basic snare or high hat trill buildups in dance music, d&b, trap music,
and hip hop are a huge pain to pull off in geist. I'm a diehard Geist fan, so please give it some love!

seige313

Postby seige313 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 am

try using the repeat function in the graph thats how Im able to pull off incredible hi hat snare tricks.. fairly easy to use too!! Also fun when you learn how to use it..
Attachments
Geist.png
Geist.png (772.36 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Sat May 30, 2015 2:01 pm

seige313 wrote:try using the repeat function in the graph thats how Im able to pull off incredible hi hat snare tricks.. fairly easy to use too!! Also fun when you learn how to use it..

Yes, that feature seems handy when using the pattern page...But there are problem there too:

- There is no slow triplet 1/4T 1/8T in the graph
- when dragging the midi to daw, the repeat timing not accurately translated to the midi clip it creates.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 am

jblongz wrote:
seige313 wrote:try using the repeat function in the graph thats how Im able to pull off incredible hi hat snare tricks.. fairly easy to use too!! Also fun when you learn how to use it..

Yes, that feature seems handy when using the pattern page...But there are problem there too:

- There is no slow triplet 1/4T 1/8T in the graph
- when dragging the midi to daw, the repeat timing not accurately translated to the midi clip it creates.

Do you have the Quantize (Q) on while trying triplet notes? Sometimes that helps as well to have Quantize off.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Sun May 31, 2015 11:05 am

Quantize is off.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 am

jblongz wrote:Quantize is off.

Ok well the last thing I can tell you in which I do is sometimes I use engine 2 as a triplet grid. and do all my triplet hi hats or snares kicks, etc on that engine. If thats too complicated and at times it can be then just use your DAW. Don't know which daw you use but I use Logic and they have Note repeat function and in Live & logic you can just paint the triplets where you want them.

I gave u all the best things you can do in Geist. Convert timing doesn't work as good as I would like. I also understand your frustration. But I just use work arounds until they either update it or coming out with 2 if theres actually a version 2 in the works..

loekazz

Re: Note Repeat Pains

Postby loekazz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:32 am

Other thoughts about this yet?

I really want to play and record things, not always draw or correct stuff with a mouse.

That midi quantisation in Geist is limited to one fixed grid, I can understand because of some development reasons (too complex to have mixed values?). But when I play a note with the available note repeat function switched on, that simply should be recorded and played back EXACTLY how it sounded, but it doesn't. This more 'live' approach doesn't seem to work in Geist...

What am I doing wrong, or is it just something the developers didn't care about? This looks so essential to me, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one...

seige313

Re: Note Repeat Pains

Postby seige313 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:24 pm

loekazz wrote:Other thoughts about this yet?

I really want to play and record things, not always draw or correct stuff with a mouse.

That midi quantisation in Geist is limited to one fixed grid, I can understand because of some development reasons (too complex to have mixed values?). But when I play a note with the available note repeat function switched on, that simply should be recorded and played back EXACTLY how it sounded, but it doesn't. This more 'live' approach doesn't seem to work in Geist...

What am I doing wrong, or is it just something the developers didn't care about? This looks so essential to me, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one...

I think everyone complained about this but the developers didn't implement this into the new version. Which I feel if you're going to do a new version it shouldn't be the same .. We pretty much have Geist 1.5 and not a 2. I can't even use it in Ableton because theres too many crashes and the updates are very slow. The fixed grid issue should've been fixed.. and changed..

Return to “Geist”