FXpansion Forum

Ableton Live: Etch midi in channels

Support forum for Etch VST/AU/RTAS

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

Ableton Live: Etch midi in channels

Postby benaben » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm

demoing Etch with Ableton Live, I find that when I want to route a midi track to a etch plugin on another track, I only have access (in the MidiTo box) to only one channel name "1-etch" and so it's impossible to, say, control filter freq by using the midi channel 3 as said in the manual.
Why is there no "2-etch", "3-etch" and so on like I can find them using Geist (to control different engine for instance).

Postby Drew_fx » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I believe this is a limitation of Ableton Live; it is looking like Live allows you multiple midi input channels for instruments, but not for effects. The problem is, it's quite a rare thing for an effect to accept midi across multiple channels, so I don't currently have anything to test this with. But Etch can be used perfectly in hosts like Cubase, Sonar, Studio One, and Pro Tools, so I am suspecting an Ableton Live incompatibility.

Postby benaben » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Ok thanks, message has been transmitted to Ableton :)

Postby PHOENSTORM » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Anything new here? I also made that feature request over at Live seems pretty slow implementing features recently...any chance one could add a sort of input selector (or rather: input routing) plugin-side? I mean, if Ableton or other hosts only support ONE midi-control into fx-plugins, could there be a menu where you can choose which of Etch's midi capabilities are accessed by this one channel? At the moment, in live, midi seems to control only lfos. A button (or something hidden in the dropdown-menu) changing that setting to controlling the filters would come in handy. I don't know how hard it would be to implement something along those line - hope this was not too confused a post :)

Postby barbanera74 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Seems there's nothing to do :(
If someone have the solution please help!

Postby barbanera74 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am

Now it seems to work ! Just changed the midi in channel to 1 then routing midi notes to Etch.

Postby ttilberg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

This is not completely the case. It works to route MIDI on channel 1, but not channel 2 or 3 (3 being where the filter freq. notes are). This is the part that people wish would work -- routing midi to Etch for performing frequency shifts.

Postby benaben » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 am

Well, it seems we just have to wait for Live 9... (if they integrate the FR PHOENSTORM and I made)
Maybe Max For Live allows to get around this limitation?

Postby square_eyes » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm trying this in Live 9 and still only seeing one midi input channel in etch to point midi to.

Return to “Etch”