Etch vs Volcano - Could Trounce it but doesn't - yet - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Etch vs Volcano - Could Trounce it but doesn't - yet

Support forum for Etch VST/AU/RTAS

Moderators: Drew_fx, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

kingdubrock

Etch vs Volcano - Could Trounce it but doesn't - yet

Postby kingdubrock » Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 pm

First, I really, really like this filter plug. I also really like FF's stuff though as well.

The main advantage of Etch for me is not just the price but the much greater variety of filter types and modes.

There are other pros and cons with both plugs in terms of modulation but the main advantage of FF is the ability to a) add more filters and b) "play" those filters xy style by grabbing the curves directly rather than having to assign and use xy pads. This is a fairy small thing but if you have 3 or 4 going, being able to grab one and swirl it around and grab another on the fly visually makes it a pretty expressive tool.

I would forego "b" in exchange for the greater variety of filters in Etch but I find myself putting a Q10 style eq (abe's eq eight) in the signal path and use it like I would volcano - for example setting the etch to LP and HP and using the eq as a BP and sweeping between them. But abe's eq is no DCAM filter!
Is something like this on the roadmap for Etch?

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am

We felt a quad filter was overkill for 95% of use cases. If you're using Live's EQ8 as a BP, why not just replace that with another Etch (which has plenty of BP modes)?

Etch is so new there's no real roadmap for it at the moment, but we do take on board all feedback so it's a useful discussion. I like the idea of being able to grab the visualizers to change cutoff and resonance.

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Using two stuck me as being a bit of a heavy cpu hit - particularly if more than one instance of this function is needed, but I admit I didnt try it. Maybe a mini-Etch with one filter and slightly fewer mod options could be nice addition, either free as an upgrade or for $25 or something, but I should probably put that in the FR section.

Thanks for the response.

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Mon May 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Im curious how sales are for Etch. FR's aside, the more I use it the more I love it.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Without going in to specifics - we're rather pleased with how it's doing!
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Rory_FX wrote:I like the idea of being able to grab the visualizers to change cutoff and resonance.

Yeah actually, this would be sweet!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Return to “Etch”