No Brainer Deal? WTF? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

No Brainer Deal? WTF?

Support forum for Etch VST/AU/RTAS

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

kingdubrock

No Brainer Deal? WTF?

Postby kingdubrock » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Bloody hell man. $20?

The people that supported you guys early on this thing should get a $50-70 store coupon.
The money I've spent on your stuff...BFD2, a bunch of expansion packs, DCAM, Geist, Etch...

I wouldnt whine about missing out on a reasonable sale on here, but seeing those dudes whore it out so soon after launch? Kinda pissed. This is beneath you. Please tell me you had no control over that.

Paul_fx
Righteous Drum Lord

Re: No Brainer Deal? WTF?

Postby Paul_fx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 pm

kingdubrock wrote:Bloody hell man. $20?

The people that supported you guys early on this thing should get a $50-70 store coupon.
The money I've spent on your stuff...BFD2, a bunch of expansion packs, DCAM, Geist, Etch...

I wouldnt whine about missing out on a reasonable sale on here, but seeing those dudes whore it out so soon after launch? Kinda pissed. This is beneath you. Please tell me you had no control over that.

What are you referring to?

PHOENSTORM

Postby PHOENSTORM » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Probably this:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Etch-No-Brainer/dp/B008HUGDBU

the offer appears to be a big success, with a few disgruntled early adopters on the side :-)

see http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

gkuly

Postby gkuly » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:03 pm

I feel your pain KDR, but when it comes to these No Brainer deals, you win a few-loose a few. I don't think vendors will get too excited about the idea of giving coupons to buyers who paid full price (though it doesn't hurt to ask).

I was thinking seriously of buying Etch last week -- obviously i'm very happy i waited.

But i paid full price for ECO ($100 plus), and i notice you can now get ECO for half that price, with Platinum Samples Rock Legends BFD expansion kit thrown in. It's no big deal to me, i'm glad i got ECO when i did...end of story.

Regards
Glenn

PS: I notice that FXpansion is now offering that PS Rock Legends kit for 50% off to ECO owners -- decent arrangement for those of us who already own ECO and therefore can't benefit from the current deal.

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Well, from reading the various forums it would seem that there are as many people who are worried this is a sign that FX is in financial trouble as there are who are happy about it. Even the people who bought in seem to feel bad for the full-pricers. The big problem, aside from pissing off early supporters so early in the product life cycle is that the NBD stigmatizes companies pretty much permanently. Who pays full price for Nomad Factory or AAS anymore? PSP needs to be very careful as well.
Blowouts should always be accompanied by incentives to retain good faith and satisfaction with the solid supporters. It should be factored right into the initial P&L study. Times are tough, and no one discounts like this unless they have to, but times are tough for all of us. Dont even get me started on what the last couple of years have been like for me. Artists have a hard enough time making a living as it is and they will beg borrow and steal to get the tools they need. Make them feel like fools for parting with their money and thngs will just get worse for everyone.
Even 50% off sales on the vendor sites, while they sting a bit, have more credibility than the NBD.

metalvib

Postby metalvib » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 am

+1 kingdubrock

Etch was released just 4 months ago, so the real issue here is not that they're having a sale with absolutely ridiculous prices - it's because it's just much too soon in the product life cycle.

As one of the early adopters of Etch I for sure dont feel appreciated. And I will definately think twice before buying into any future products from FXpansion.

ttilberg

Postby ttilberg » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:39 pm

I really agree with the sentiment described in this thread. It's happened twice for me with FXpansion products now, granted, I should have known better with the first instance. I bought DCAM about a month before the Black Friday sales started last year. I loved it so much though, that the sting of wasting $150 didn't upset me too much -- Then my love for DCAM had be buying Etch very soon after its release date -- and now... $20?

Damn.

I mean, I feel good knowing I support FXPansion and all... but... yeah. I feel a bit like a fool, especially when a part of Etch I was ridiculously excited for (the midi note > filter freq.) doesn't even work with my DAW (Live).

Bummer.

PHOENSTORM

Postby PHOENSTORM » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 pm

It's certainly not an ideal situation.

As for certain features of Etch not working in Live, I still hope FXPansion might come up with a workaround on the plugin-side.
People are a bit disappointed that midi routing in live prevents them from "playing the filters" with midi. Last case in point: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ory-2.html

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:12 pm

What do we expect? Its only worth $20. :evil:

Anyway, i half expected to wake up and find an explanation from a staff member here. Ignoring this will just add to the sting.
Not advised. This thing is way high profile right now and as many have stated, wont be forgotten.

Edit:

Well a weekend and two business days have gone by since this thread was started and since there hasnt exactly been an outpouring of protest from paid users and no one from Fxpansion has seen fit to acknowlege this I guess I'll chalk it up to being a stong difference of opinion about business and customer support policy.

As someone who has bought all of FX's products (except for Tremor) at full price I guess I overestimated my value as a customer. Thats life I guess.

I will drop it now.

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Anyone want to buy a full suite of Fxpansion products at a fair price?

BFD2 / J&F / Percussion / Geist / DCAM / Electric / Antiquity / Etch

Gridden

Postby Gridden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 pm

kingdubrock wrote:As someone who has bought all of FX's products (except for Tremor) at full price I guess I overestimated my value as a customer. Thats life I guess.

I will drop it now.

If you want to see how FXpansion value their customers, go have a peek in the VST-RTAS forum, it's full of people who've been unable to use the wrapper properly for years now.
If you want customer service, you want Camel Audio, U-He, Papen.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Guys,

We need to do promos like this every now and again to attract new users. New users benefit everyone and fund new development, new updates and features.

Also, can I ask that if anyone gets annoyed with something we do - please email us first to at least give us a chance to make things right before getting angry on the forum? We're friendly, reasonable people!

Gridden - VST-RTAS Adapter works as well today as it did 6 years ago. I use it all the time in Pro Tools 10 to run Aalto and Expert Sleepers Silent Way, which you simply cannot use in Pro Tools otherwise. So much for a useless product. :roll: Unfortunately people don't read the clearly stated fact that it supports VST 2.3 plugins only. Yes, we'd love it if we could magically update the adapter overnight to work with VST 2.4 plugins, but the amount of work required is HUGE and it's simply not something we've been able to do yet.
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

ttilberg

Postby ttilberg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:37 pm

We need to do promos like this every now and again to attract new users. New users benefit everyone and fund new development, new updates and features.

Thank you for the response, Mayur. I definitely understand this being necessary to growing business. It just stings a little with it being such a brand new product. That said, I personally helped convert at least 4 friends during the sale, as the products you make are excellent.

I hope the sale was deemed successful from the business side of FXPansion, please keep making great stuff :)

kingdubrock

Postby kingdubrock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Mayur

Thanks for posting.
I would like to publicly apologize for starting this thread. It was heavy handed and it would be understandable it you chose to delete it.

Gridden

Postby Gridden » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:37 pm

mayur_FX wrote:Gridden - VST-RTAS Adapter works as well today as it did 6 years ago. I use it all the time in Pro Tools 10 to run Aalto and Expert Sleepers Silent Way, which you simply cannot use in Pro Tools otherwise. So much for a useless product. :roll: Unfortunately people don't read the clearly stated fact that it supports VST 2.3 plugins only. Yes, we'd love it if we could magically update the adapter overnight to work with VST 2.4 plugins, but the amount of work required is HUGE and it's simply not something we've been able to do yet.

VST 2.4 was introduced, what, in 2006? - no-one has been asking for "overnight", nor did I say "useless" - it should of been updated years ago; the failure to do so and rolling eyes at customers who are sitting there with countless plug-ins not working speaks volumes.
How do FXpansion not get that?

Return to “Etch”