What compressors are being emulated with the Dcam Dynamics? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

What compressors are being emulated with the Dcam Dynamics?

Support forum for DCAM: Dynamics

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Moderators

KevWestBeats

What compressors are being emulated with the Dcam Dynamics?

Postby KevWestBeats » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:32 am

I am curious. Someone pointed out the 1176 to me and I think I saw a D160 but what else? I am curious.

djashes

Postby djashes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 am

ChanComp is several versions of the 1176, depending on where the Bias knob is

BusComp is the SSL

KevWestBeats

Postby KevWestBeats » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:25 pm

what about the transient shaper and the cross comp those were the main 2 I was curious about.

djashes

Postby djashes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm

CrossComp and EnvShaper aren't modelled after any specific pieces of gear. I'm pretty sure the saturation switches are what make them 'analog'.

KevWestBeats

Postby KevWestBeats » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Awesome thanks for the info. I am assuming the free comp is emulating an SSL as well

djashes

Postby djashes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Freecomp is BusComp minus the dry/wet knob, hi def, sidechain and saturation

djashes

Postby djashes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 am

I checked out the manual for CrossComp and it says:

DCAM CrossComp provides a simple but effective set of additions to a bus compressor core that allow you to quickly dial in frequency-dependent compression without the complicated overhead of a full multi-band device

So it seems like they built it off BusComp which is the SSL

Here's what it says for EnvShaper:

DCAM EnvShaper takes a different approach to dynamics processing than a standard compressor. It allows you to adjust the attack and sustain portions of transients in order to change the dynamic shape of a signal

jonathan_five

Postby jonathan_five » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:09 am

If your mixes are good and tight, it is possible, IMHO, to avoid using something like a full multiband dynamics processor during your mastering stage.

Since I purchased this bundle, I have totally not been bothered digging for, and setting up a full multiband on my master during mastering.. I love using cross comp for this. I find, because of its simplicity, I am getting a much better result.

Now.. I mix pretty tight.. so, that is the caveat.. and sometimes my masters are done on what is a 2nd, or 3rd render of my mix. I don't rush this stuff. If you need to make only one render, and you head to mastering with a bass heavy, or a top heavy mix, than IMHO cross comp will not help you.

Now.. What I really could use, is an FXpansion Look ahead brick wall finalizing plug with some dither algorithms. A real digital hero!! To go with all this Dcam stuff

:-)

I also wish Fxpansion had a totally off the charts, fully parametric and linear phase eq pack!! That would be totally radical!!

djashes

Postby djashes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:41 am

I have a feeling FXPansion will be releasing an EQ pack. If you look at the trend of them releasing all the BFD and Synth Squad FX with a fuller feature set, one of the few things they have left to release are EQ's.

EQ + Transmod would be sweet.

KevWestBeats

Postby KevWestBeats » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:46 am

djashes wrote:I have a feeling FXPansion will be releasing an EQ pack. If you look at the trend of them releasing all the BFD and Synth Squad FX with a fuller feature set, one of the few things they have left to release are EQ's.

EQ + Transmod would be sweet.
I was thinking the same thing actually. I would love to see the entire SSL console emulated by FXpansion. Sure I have one in Reason 6.5 but I would really like to have one in vst format as well. As for the Dcam Dynamics I liked them when I demoed them but I think I am going to pass mostly because I have an SSL bus comp and an 1176 emulation already. I was mostly interested in the transient shaper and the chain comp just looked interesting too and for $99 its a better deal than what NI is offering for theirs but idk if I am on board with that yet. Maybe if I catch them on sell I would do it. Either way I love Etch, Maul, Tremor, and Geist lite and I already own all of those. Was going to buy the synth squad for the FM synth but decided to grab Operator instead which I am also regretting because had I known about FM 8 going on sale I would have went that route instead.

Return to “DCAM: Dynamics”