Forum

FXpansion Forum

CPU Load

Support for Maul

Moderator: SKoT_FX

aircoholic

CPU Load

Postby aircoholic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm wondering if Maul is using such extreme amounts of processing power with other users as well?
Whenever I drop Maul on a track, the CPU-Meter in Ableton Live 8.3 goes from maybe 30 or 40% to at least 90, sometimes even 120 % and the sound gets really bad (choppy and buffer dropouts) and quickly unusable until I remove Maul again.
I thought it was just my 2 years old Laptop, but even my brand new one (Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with Core i5 and 8GB RAM) has the same issues. Windows 7 or 8 doesn't make any difference.

It's a bit of a bummer that I have this cool Plugin but can't use it.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 pm

What sample-rate are you running at, and do you have hi-def mode enabled?

aircoholic

Postby aircoholic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Nope, no hi-def mode enabled. I'm running at 96kHz usually. I switched to 48kHz after your reply and it's gotten better. CPU load still goes up, but not as high.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Right. It sounds to me that this would be an expected outcome when running Maul at 96khz sample-rate. Internally it runs at x2 oversampling with high-def mode off, and on an i5 high CPU impact is to be expected. I get the same thing here on my i5.

Jamnystic

Postby Jamnystic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello, I've just started exploring Maul properly after having it a while, and I've noticed there's a CPU issue too. When audio is running through Maul it's fine, but when Maul's idle the CPU usage goes through the roof. I've seen this before with another software and reported it to the developer, and he told me it was a denormalisation issue, which he promptly fixed. Hopefully with a bit of luck this is a quick fix too.
Anyway just so you know, I'm on WinXP 32bit with a Quadcore CPU, using Reaper and FL Studio. I run them at 44.1k.

Jamnystic

Postby Jamnystic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Ok, I just realised I was still on version 1.0.0 so I installed the latest beta 1.0.4, and the CPU is even worse. Even when audio is running through it, it's nearly twice as high as it was before. When idle, the same thing happens as before also, but again the CPU goes even higher. With the default preset loaded, playback of a simple audio drumloop will cause the CPU in Reaper to read about 21% of four cores, so nearly a full core is being used. When playback stops, CPU starts to rise to about 28%. I'll check out 1.0.3 and see if that's any different. Back in a bit. :wink:

By the way, I like the new UI. :D

Jamnystic

Postby Jamnystic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 am

Ok, I was actually using version 1.0.0.3 originally, not 1.0.0, and when I say 1.0.4 I mean 1.0.0.4 to be precise. :)

I'd also like to change what I said about 1.0.0.3 being fine when audio is running through it, because it's not really. Using the default preset my CPU hovers around 10%, and is slightly lower when idle, about 9%. But once I start dialling in various settings the CPU gets very high, epecially when Maul is idle. I've seen it go from about 25% during processing to over 40% when idle. And remember these are percentages of all 4 cores combined.

I really hope this problem can be fixed, and hopefully without too much trouble, because Maul definitely sounds superb and deserves to be used and abused.

All the best,
Mark

rmarscher

Re: CPU Load

Postby rmarscher » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:49 pm

I recently got this amazing sounding plugin and am having similar issues. The problem I'm having is when no audio is on the track where Maul in an insert, it suddenly spikes CPU and causes extreme audio dropouts and artifacts during playback. When there is audio the CPU is very reasonable though. My workaround so far is setting up mute automations when there is no audio clip on a track but this is obviously a PITA. This is running in Cubase 6.5.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:48 am

Can you confirm what OS you're on, which version of Maul you're running (and update if you're on anything earlier than 1.0.0.7), what sample rate and what you're using to measure your CPU spikes.

Maul is quite a CPU hungry effect, purely because of the DSP involved and the multi-band nature of it.

joeroot

Postby joeroot » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:27 pm

I really hope this problem can be fixed, and hopefully without too much trouble, because Maul definitely sounds superb and deserves to be used and abused.

wald

Postby wald » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Rory_FX wrote:Can you confirm what OS you're on, which version of Maul you're running (and update if you're on anything earlier than 1.0.0.7), what sample rate and what you're using to measure your CPU spikes.

Maul is quite a CPU hungry effect, purely because of the DSP involved and the multi-band nature of it.

Rory,

some companies automatically disable internal oversampling when running on high sample rates (say 96k).
Seems like this is a common issue with FX products (e.g., forced 2x oversampling in Strobe 2 even when running one's host in 96k).

Daniel

Return to “Maul”