Forum

FXpansion Forum

Auto Double Kick alternation?

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

rosesbyrosex

Auto Double Kick alternation?

Postby rosesbyrosex » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello i have been using superior drummer for a long time, now i changed to BFD3 because i like the acoustics, but when i play a midi on my DAW, only 1 kick is being played, in Ezdrummer/Superior drummer the second kick is played automatically when playing at a fast tempo, is this option also available on BFD3?, i only see the option to use Second Kick on KeyMap.
A12 9700P | 16GB DDR4 | 1 TB | WAVEFORM 8 | FLStudioASIO |

purtington

Re: Auto Double Kick alternation?

Postby purtington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am

rosesbyrosex wrote:Hello i have been using superior drummer for a long time, now i changed to BFD3 because i like the acoustics, but when i play a midi on my DAW, only 1 kick is being played, in Ezdrummer/Superior drummer the second kick is played automatically when playing at a fast tempo, is this option also available on BFD3?, i only see the option to use Second Kick on KeyMap.

You mean you want to have the two kicks, "linked" so they play simultaneously?

It's really easy and you can link any kit piece to another, not just kicks. You can link your kick to a floor tom for example.

Just click on the, "link" button at the top of the drum view, click on either of the kicks you have loaded, and then drag your mouse to the next kick you want to use. You'll see a red line appear to indicate that the two kit pieces are now linked.

Alternately you can right click on your kick and from the list you'll see, "link to" and then select which kit piece you want to link from the list.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

rosesbyrosex

Postby rosesbyrosex » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 pm

purtington wrote:You mean you want to have the two kicks, "linked" so they play simultaneously?

It's really easy and you can link any kit piece to another, not just kicks. You can link your kick to a floor tom for example.

Just click on the, "link" button at the top of the drum view, click on either of the kicks you have loaded, and then drag your mouse to the next kick you want to use. You'll see a red line appear to indicate that the two kit pieces are now linked.

Alternately you can right click on your kick and from the list you'll see, "link to" and then select which kit piece you want to link from the list.

Steve

I mean when i play in a real Drum, i can play easily with only 1 kick in slow songs, but when playing a fast song, i need to use both legs to get more velocity, not playing them simultaneously, also the sound changes because there are two diferent sound sources.
So, the problem is that only one kick is being played no matter how fast the song is, that makes the sound like midi, not like a real metal drum performance, in that aspect SuperiorDrummer/EzDrummer is better because it automatically enables "ANOTHER LEG" on the second kick when the song is getting fast kick secuences.

rosesbyrosex

Postby rosesbyrosex » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Loo now,this Guy is using alternation between kicks and snares in BFD3, but how it is done? anyone knows? look at the red arrows on the kicks and snares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esX76FWxeFE

any help would be apreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

purtington

Postby purtington » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:02 pm

The red lines are there because they are linked kit pieces.

This is exactly what I had described to you but he isn't playing through a set of edrums as you are, he is using a midi groove as his source
so I'm not sure this is the answer to what you're looking for.

It might be worth contacting Benoni via his youtube channel. He's done lots of BFD3 reviews and tutorials and is a big fan.
I'm not sure if he's an edrummer though

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I think he is asking a more visual question where you see two kicks being played instead of one. That is what you can do in SD2/3 EzDrummer, what not...

I actually use to setup kits like that in BFD2, but it's more about a visual thing. Since we are using samples, there is no reason to load the same exact kit piece twice, we would still be pulling from the same exact pool of samples, and it makes programming MIDI much harder since you would have to use two lanes in the groove editor or two different notes in your Piano Roll in Pro Tools or whatever DAW you are using.

I agree, it looks cool to have two kicks alternating back and forth, but unless you are tuning one kick differently, there really isn't a reason to do this in BFD3. You can still eDrum with a double kick pedal on one trigger and BFD3 will keep up just fine.

As far as the red line in that preset, it's because I'm stacking samples and they are linked.

rosesbyrosex

Postby rosesbyrosex » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for your answers purtington and Benoni, it is true that when adding the same kick twice, both will be using the same samples so the sound may not change a lot.

Return to “BFD3”