Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD2, BFD3 and PS expansions packs - correct order to install everything

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

scotlarsen

BFD2, BFD3 and PS expansions packs - correct order to install everything

Postby scotlarsen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:31 pm

I had to reinstall Windows and my DAW (Cubase 9 pro). I'm now trying to install BFD2 and the updates but after all of that now get: "Default MIDI Map (BFD 2.0 Default Keymap) was not found - please reinstall BFD2". FXpansion support (or Roli) suggested that I delete the Maps folders under programs files, etc. I tried that but same story. At this point I think I just want to blow away everything and start over but I really want to get it right this time because this is so time consuming.

Here are the products that I own:

BFD2 (DVD version)
BFD3 (download version)
Platinum Samples Jim Scott vol. 1 for BFD2 (DVD version)
Platinum Samples Jim Scott vol. 2 (download version)
Andy Johns Classic Drums (download version)

The goal is to get all the kits from BFD2 and my PS expansions packs in to the BFD3 interface (stand alone and in my DAW via VST). Can anyone shed any light on the correct order/procedure to install everything to get this setup? I have downloaded all of the updates and content available to me via FXpansion's and PS's websites. E.g., there is a "BFD2_2-3-1-6_Update", a "BFD2-v2-2-Data-Patcher (do I need this?), BFD2_Data_Installer.part[1-4] (the part one finds the other 3 when installing) and content such as "Metronome, "BFD_Rock_Tambourine_BFD2", etc.

Any help is greatly appreciate!

kafka

Re: BFD2, BFD3 and PS expansions packs - correct order to install everything

Postby kafka » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Only the installation of content/expansion packs should be time consuming. While it's pretty easy to just copy the one file over, you can also just reinstall BFD2 to get it back. It only takes a minute, tops. Just download it from your support account, and don't reinstall anything related to content. You can just move the file over manually, or I suppose the upgrade process copies it over. It's been a long time since I've upgraded.

Platinum Samples (any content) can be installed at any time. You'll rescan your content drives once you've installed BFD3 or installed new content anyway, so order doesn't really matter. I installed PS at least 7 years ago on Windows, and have since just copied it over to Mac, where it's gone through a few versions of both BFD and MacOS.

One thing you'll want to do once Platinum Samples is installed is run it through BFDLAC. It substantially cuts down on disk use and loads faster than the old BFD versions. It's not backwards compatible with BFD2, so if you have some reason to use that again, don't do it.

scotlarsen

Re: BFD2, BFD3 and PS expansions packs - correct order to install everything

Postby scotlarsen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks for your help, kafka. Only the update to V. 2.3.1.6 is available in my downloads for BFD2 under my account, I guess because I own the DVD version. I ended up blowing away my program files dirs (both 64 and 32 bit ones), reinstalling just the first BFD2 DVD then running the update. That got it working again as a scan of my data directory picked up everything else (I'm pretty sure). Pretty much did the same thing to get my Jim Scott vol. 1 expansion pack working again as well. BFD2 was able to see all the JS1 instruments when I tried to load them up but the JS1 kits were not showing up. The reinstall of just JS1 disk 1 fixed that as well (I also tried manually copying kits from the DVD but running the installer ultimately fixed it).

Return to “BFD3”