Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 demo - my thoughts

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:16 pm

gaheba wrote:
The problem is learning a whole new way of working and I don't want to deal with that if I can help it.

Jack, in all honesty the learning curve is not that intimidating if you just buckle up and jump in. If I can do it any monkey can - seriously. I am a complete bunny when it comes to computers and software but I still get my way around and it still
opens up creative possibilities for me and thats the fun bit! Right?

what does BFD3 really bring to the table to make me want to buy it and put up with a horrible gui - not a thing.

The groove editor!! Its awesome and for me is itself all on its lonesome worth the entry price! Drum rudiments! Still learning that bit but....what a step up from BFD2.

The GUI is expandable. On my 27" iMac I can stretch BFD3 pretty much right accross the whole width of the screen - which is just beautiful for working on grooves and drum tracks.

I did not like the gui either at first. Like the others above have said, the loss of the kit view was a huge disappointment for me (I had voted for its retention), however it is fast fading into the background as a dealbreaker. More important is the improved workflow of the new layout.

The browser (for grooves, kits and instruments, and presets) - much better than BFD2 - more immediate, accessible, navigable.

The sound: this is somewhat subjective, but for me when I listen to one of my own presets in BFD3 then listen to the same preset in BFD2, the latter sounds somewhat muffled. Its kind of subtle, but the sound of BFD2 seems to lack a presence and punch that BFD3 has. Just my impression, not saying its the truth or anything. However if you gave me a desert island choice, I would pick BFD3. Its not a question of processing either, as I rarely do any processing in the BFD2 mixer, although that may change now.

Then again anything I have to say negative makes no sense to the beta tester fanboys.

Jack, there is nothing wrong with a bit of criticism and voicing your concerns. I get the demo doesnt work for you. So why not point out the problems and limitations of the demo constructively without all the blaming and faultfinding and sniping? You have an opportunity to contribute something to the development of BFD3 with your unique viewpoint - so take it. Your concerns with the demo doesn't have to be about being or saying something negative, insulting, or demeaning about Fx and other users does it? Make what you have to say a contribution, an offer, rather than an expression of some upset you have.

FWIW, I was not a beta tester. I am however an unapologetic fan boy - of both BFD2 and BFD3! That doesnt mean I dont have issues at times or get grumpy about those issues. I am still a fanboy and I still have issues at times. I take no offense or insult from that accusation!

If there were only more honest people like me (reviewers especially) maybe companies would pay attention to the criticism. Maybe my fault is being too honest

Actually, I think the issue here was that you havent really been honest at all. If you were just straight about both what works and doesnt work for you, your concerns would quickly and easily gain an appreciative ear. And you wouldnt have to snipe at other users.
Just saying. :wink:

Gary.
I have been honest; you and others can't see that. In my book honesty means telling it like I see it and I did. Not fan fan of the old phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say about something don't say it'. Simply put - nothing in BFD3 works for me to make me want to buy it - get it? I have put out here (not in this thread but in others) how things could have been improved but was told by fxpansion people to stop it/lay off. To me that says they don't want to hear criticism about their product.

Not sniping at other users.

Actually I did put out one positive thing and that was that maybe BFD3 would be a better deal for someone who's never used older versions.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
2012 Mac Pro cheesegrater, 3.46 GHz hex core cpu, 48 gig ram, OSX 10.13.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

Fenderchris

Postby Fenderchris » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:12 pm

purtington wrote:
Can the display be flipped to reflect a left-handed kit setup?

I can be flipped to either drummer or audience perspective but I don't think that's what you mean.
I'm not so sure that can be done actually.

In my view it is a shame the the BFD2 kit page has been dumped in BFD3 despite many users (including myself) requesting that it be retained.

I miss it too and I was one of those who voted to keep it but as I said, for me at least it didn't serve any functional use.
It was more like giving up my teddy bear when I was 30, it took a while but I found I could sleep without it eventually

Steve

Drummer or audience perspective is not quite the same thing. I can live without it as a member of a small, but proud, minority.

WHAT - you gave up your teddy bear! - Maybe I should try that too some day.

Chris, 66.
Nuendo 8.1.10 64-bit and Nuendo 10.2.0 64-bit, Windows-10 64-bit, i7 Quad core 2.67Ghz, 24GB Ram, Roland V-Drum TD-20X, BFD2 64-bit, BFD3 64-bit.
RME UFX

gaheba

Postby gaheba » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Not fan fan of the old phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say about something don't say it'

Me neither. There is however, a big difference between being straight - "telling it like it is" - and being a hard done by, complaining critic. The first brings openness and generosity. The second brings meanness and stinginess. We are all free to choose which one floats our boat, and then, we will meet what we meet and get what we get.

Actually I did put out one positive thing and that was that maybe BFD3 would be a better deal for someone who's never used older versions.

For your future reference: this is a snipe at other users. And it isn't positive.
I, Steve, and many users on this forum have been long time users of BFD2. I started with BFD1.5 in fact. And we have moved to BFD3.
I remember there were a lot of problems with BFD2 for the first year or so, it was IIRC pretty unstable. The last two years or so of BFD2 this forum has been pretty quiet as audio forums go, which surely is testament to the performance of BFD2 and Fx. And I am by no means claiming that BFD2 was perfect or that Fx are enlightened angels and can do no wrong. They are human and they can and do stuff up. So can you and I. Is that really news or suprising? The bottom line is that BFD3 will evolve and improve. Some feature requests will be met and some wont. There's always going to be bugs, some of which will be peculiar to only a few users which will drive everyone potty. And not everyone is gonna be happy, and many will be and I'm betting that for most users BFD3 will be just fine.

I also have EZdrummer and four or five expansions, and Addictive Drums with expansions. Ezd annoys me, currently uninstalled. I like AD but rarely use it because I have to use my DAWs piano roll which i detest (I just dont like piano rolls) and I prefer the drums sounds in BFD2/3. Its still pretty good tho, and if I hadnt come accross BFD all those years ago, AD would probably be my prime drum sampler.

Luckily, I now have BFD3. I'm even getting used to the gui.

Jack, maybe for you its best just to stick with BFD2. Its a great bit of kit regardless of the merits or otherwise of BFD3. And there is no reason why it cant still give great service for a few more years yet until…….

And then……... there was BFD4…... :shock:

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:49 pm

gaheba wrote:
Not fan fan of the old phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say about something don't say it'

Me neither. There is however, a big difference between being straight - "telling it like it is" - and being a hard done by, complaining critic. The first brings openness and generosity. The second brings meanness and stinginess. We are all free to choose which one floats our boat, and then, we will meet what we meet and get what we get.

For your future reference: this is a snipe at other users. And it isn't positive.
I, Steve, and many users on this forum have been long time users of BFD2. I started with BFD1.5 in fact. And we have moved to BFD3.
I remember there were a lot of problems with BFD2 for the first year or so, it was IIRC pretty unstable. The last two years or so of BFD2 this forum has been pretty quiet as audio forums go, which surely is testament to the performance of BFD2 and Fx. And I am by no means claiming that BFD2 was perfect or that Fx are enlightened angels and can do no wrong. They are human and they can and do stuff up. So can you and I. Is that really news or suprising? The bottom line is that BFD3 will evolve and improve. Some feature requests will be met and some wont. There's always going to be bugs, some of which will be peculiar to only a few users which will drive everyone potty. And not everyone is gonna be happy, and many will be and I'm betting that for most users BFD3 will be just fine.

I also have EZdrummer and four or five expansions, and Addictive Drums with expansions. Ezd annoys me, currently uninstalled. I like AD but rarely use it because I have to use my DAWs piano roll which i detest (I just dont like piano rolls) and I prefer the drums sounds in BFD2/3. Its still pretty good tho, and if I hadnt come accross BFD all those years ago, AD would probably be my prime drum sampler.

Luckily, I now have BFD3. I'm even getting used to the gui.

Jack, maybe for you its best just to stick with BFD2. Its a great bit of kit regardless of the merits or otherwise of BFD3. And there is no reason why it cant still give great service for a few more years yet until…….

And then……... there was BFD4…... :shock:
If it weren't for critics nothing would get improved. Sometimes people just need to hear the cold, hard facts about something. And what I said about 'maybe BFD3 would be better for someone who's never used BFD2' - you're missing something important - I said maybe which leaves it open for those who have used BFD2 and are getting along with BFD3. There are or will be those who don't want to deal with the learning curve of BFD3 and unlearning what they new in BFD2. They are two totally different programs. It's not a matter of being afraid to change either - it's a matter of how much headache one wants to put up with. Some deal with it better than others. Notice again I'm saying some and not indicting everyone.

I am sticking with BFD2. I would just as soon put the money into VEPro 5 which would help with not only getting BFD2 working in PT 11 but also other vi's I have that will never have aax64 bit support.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:20 am

jackn2mpu wrote:Yes I was a BFD 1 user on my old Windows/Sonar system and never really got on with the program. I tried but it just didn't work out. Used Battery instead. Figured I'd give BFD2 a shot on my PT system and it's been going quite well. Zero change was not what I wanted - just wanted aax64 bit support in BFD2 - the rest of it is okay for me.

I used BFD 1 quite heavily and did a lot of work with it. Moving to BFD2, was amazing, lightyears of improvement and a complete entire new program to learn. I am glad I spent the time to do it as the workflow was massively improved. I find the move from 2 to 3 not near as drastic, though its just workflow improvements and just makes more sense on many things.

The reason I implied you wanted 0 change is that obviously nothing on 3 makes you happy and you have said you just wanted 2 as AAX64. You have stated you didnt want to take the time or have a reason to take the time to learn it. You make it pretty apparent you did not want a "new" program. That is fine and understandable, I just think it makes your "review" of 3 a bit jaded and dishonest from the start.

jackn2mpu wrote:So I'm down on BFD3 - that's my issue and feelings and anyone that has a problem with that doesn't realize that not everyone likes everything that other people like. To me there was not one thing I liked about the BFD3 demo. If fxpansion had really wanted to sell it to people the demo could have been done better but I've said that before and it bears repeating. Sure people who bought the full version love it - why else would they have spent the money? I'm not going to spend money on something that I have doubts about hoping that after a while I'll fall in love with the program. Simply put - going by the demo it doesn't do anything that makes me want to buy it. If there were only more honest people like me (reviewers especially) maybe companies would pay attention to the criticism. Maybe my fault is being too honest - then again that comes from being a new Jersey resident.

I agree it would be hard for me to judge a demo based on kit sounds I am not familiar with and not what I would use in my "production"

Not sure by what you mean,by saying you are the only honest person and reviewer?? I have put forth a lot of effort and work into "reviewing" and showing work done on BFD3 and I feel the opposite of you. It has problems, there is room for improvement, it is still a work in progress, but all in all I think its great and more importantly and improvement. I rather enjoy being thrown out of my comfort zone from time to time. Keeps me on my toes and allows new discoveries along with tricks and tools for the "box"

I Bought and used BFD1 quite a bit. I pre ordered BFD2 sight unseen and no idea what to expect and received it release day and used it since. I ordered and DL'd BFD3 day of release, sight unseen and no idea what to expect. Not everyone here is some "tester" or insider. They have never failed me yet and did not expect them to this time. Thats why I spent the money. I had nothing to base my purchase on except past experiences. I can safely say, I dont feel they let me down at all. The new samples alone are worth the upgrade costs! I welcome workflow improvements that allow me to work much faster.

Its all good though. there is nothing wrong with liking or not liking something.

jackn2mpu wrote:Actually I did put out one positive thing and that was that maybe BFD3 would be a better deal for someone who's never used older versions.

That is just an odd statement. I disagree. I think I appreciate 3 more as I know what it was like to spend hours working in 1-1.5 as well as 2.
Last edited by guitardom on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:33 am

fenderchris wrote:Does that mean that it is possible to set BFD3 up to exactly match my physical V-drum kit size?

Yes, the kit and mixers are no longer "fixed"

fenderchris wrote:Can the display be flipped to reflect a left-handed kit setup?

No, just the audience/drummer perspective as it was before, except your "kit" and ambient mics will rotate in the view to match your selection. again one of those things that could not be done before with the standard "kit" view of 2.

fenderchris wrote:I am surprised to read that there is currently no option to change the white background to different colours. Changing colours is just simple swapping of HEX numbers so it should not really be difficult to implement.

They have said it is coming in the future. I think the goal was to get it working and released.

fenderchris wrote:In my view it is a shame the the BFD2 kit page has been dumped in BFD3 despite many users (including myself) requesting that it be retained.

I voted for it to be retained as well. But after actually using it, the blue print view is just so multi purpose and saves jumping screen views. It serves so many purposes and makes sense for speed and workflow.

fenderchris wrote:I must admit that I have not yet tried the v3 demo (I'm waiting for a current BFD2 issue to be resolved before I do - see the Exporting Grooves thread) but from what I have seen it is missing the nice kit piece images present on the BFD2 kit piece screen.

You can hover your mouse over any piece on the blueprint, a large image of the kit piece and info appears on the screen. It is actually FAR more detailed than 2.

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:09 pm

guitardom wrote:
jackn2mpu wrote:Yes I was a BFD 1 user on my old Windows/Sonar system and never really got on with the program. I tried but it just didn't work out. Used Battery instead. Figured I'd give BFD2 a shot on my PT system and it's been going quite well. Zero change was not what I wanted - just wanted aax64 bit support in BFD2 - the rest of it is okay for me.

I used BFD 1 quite heavily and did a lot of work with it. Moving to BFD2, was amazing, lightyears of improvement and a complete entire new program to learn. I am glad I spent the time to do it as the workflow was massively improved. I find the move from 2 to 3 not near as drastic, though its just workflow improvements and just makes more sense on many things.

The reason I implied you wanted 0 change is that obviously nothing on 3 makes you happy and you have said you just wanted 2 as AAX64. You have stated you didnt want to take the time or have a reason to take the time to learn it. You make it pretty apparent you did not want a "new" program. That is fine and understandable, I just think it makes your "review" of 3 a bit jaded and dishonest from the start.

jackn2mpu wrote:So I'm down on BFD3 - that's my issue and feelings and anyone that has a problem with that doesn't realize that not everyone likes everything that other people like. To me there was not one thing I liked about the BFD3 demo. If fxpansion had really wanted to sell it to people the demo could have been done better but I've said that before and it bears repeating. Sure people who bought the full version love it - why else would they have spent the money? I'm not going to spend money on something that I have doubts about hoping that after a while I'll fall in love with the program. Simply put - going by the demo it doesn't do anything that makes me want to buy it. If there were only more honest people like me (reviewers especially) maybe companies would pay attention to the criticism. Maybe my fault is being too honest - then again that comes from being a new Jersey resident.

I agree it would be hard for me to judge a demo based on kit sounds I am not familiar with and not what I would use in my "production"

Not sure by what you mean,by saying you are the only honest person and reviewer?? I have put forth a lot of effort and work into "reviewing" and showing work done on BFD3 and I feel the opposite of you. It has problems, there is room for improvement, it is still a work in progress, but all in all I think its great and more importantly and improvement. I rather enjoy being thrown out of my comfort zone from time to time. Keeps me on my toes and allows new discoveries along with tricks and tools for the "box"

I Bought and used BFD1 quite a bit. I pre ordered BFD2 sight unseen and no idea what to expect and received it release day and used it since. I ordered and DL'd BFD3 day of release, sight unseen and no idea what to expect. Not everyone here is some "tester" or insider. They have never failed me yet and did not expect them to this time. Thats why I spent the money. I had nothing to base my purchase on except past experiences. I can safely say, I dont feel they let me down at all. The new samples alone are worth the upgrade costs! I welcome workflow improvements that allow me to work much faster.

Its all good though. there is nothing wrong with liking or not liking something.

jackn2mpu wrote:Actually I did put out one positive thing and that was that maybe BFD3 would be a better deal for someone who's never used older versions.

That is just an odd statement. I disagree. I think I appreciate 3 more as I know what it was like to spend hours working in 1-1.5 as well as 2.
Never said I was the only honest reviewer or tester. What I said was if more people were honest in their evaluations of a product - never said everyone was dishonest.

I didn't jump into BFD2 for quite a while. Let's put it this way - the version of BFD2 I got was the last non-beta version so it had been out quite a while. Reasons were my old system couldn't handle BFD2 and I had jumped full time into PT and thought it would be good to give BFD again; luckily my previous ownership of BFD1 (yeah I actually had the original version and upgraded to 1.5) qualified me for a discount. By this time it had been so long that I'd used BFD I'd forgotten how it all worked so BFD2 was a new program and I had none of the baggage from the original in my brain. You know how muscle memory takes over when working on a console or other piece of equipment? Well it's the same thing with BFD and in 3 nothing corresponds to what I know and use in 2.

And that's part of the reason I'm not going to BFD3 - I'd be essentially learning a whole new workflow and I am not up for that. I can't see one bit of my workflow that would translate over. Never used the grooves in BFD or the mixer so those features mean nothing to me. I would rather just see a kit and not the mixer in any form.

But as is often said and I hate trite expressions - to each their own. You and others love the new version and I don't and I stated my reasons as have you. Not a thing wrong with that.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I think Jack is really saying all he wants is BFD2 AAX64
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:33 pm

davecmcgrath wrote:I think Jack is really saying all he wants is BFD2 AAX64
Exactly. That's what a lot of people really wanted. Could have been done but fxpansion saw fit not to do that.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

jord

Postby jord » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:50 pm

A lot of things can be done... it's just the feasibility at this point in time in doing so, considering BFD2 is over six years old now and let's face it: nothing is free. Developers have to eat too.

Rather than biased opinions, let's be a little more constructive here and how about you describe your workflow as far as BFD is concerned. Perhaps, there's some light that can be shed, rather than senseless head-butting going on.

Considering that I am one of the "fanboy beta testers", as you so myopically put it (actually, I was part of the alpha testing team), I was one of of a bunch that fought rather hard for the type of increased usability for BFD3 especially for creating kits, presets and keymaps, and I still keep the warnings from Drew on my computer as a trophy. All things considered BFD2 is a UX nightmare and RSI in the making and a lot of our aim alongside a number of others was to make things easier. If you like to thrive on the complicated, which somehow I think you actually get some sadistical pleasure out of it judging from all of your posts, who is anyone to stand between you and your ways? You own 'em.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

purtington

Postby purtington » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm

jackn2mpu wrote:
Exactly. That's what a lot of people really wanted. Could have been done but fxpansion saw fit not to do that.

I don't know what Fxpansions reasons for not supplying an AAX64 update for BFD2 were but it might be worth bearing in mind that Pro-Tools 11 was released a good 5 or even 7 months in to BFD3's development and understandably BFD3 was their number 1 propriety.
I never owned BFD1 but I would be surprised if there were any BFD1 updates that came after the release of BFD2 so if that were the case it's very unlikely there will be any further development for BFD2.

I'm sure you're right in saying that's what a lot of people wanted, but I doubt that many would have wanted that and that alone and I'm guessing that many of those who upgraded to pro-tools 11 are quite liking BFD3 and might well have upgraded even if BFD2 had been given an AAX64 update.

You say you've made positive comments Jack but I've struggled to find them and since you're so appreciative of honesty to me you've come across like a sulking teenager who shrugs his shoulders and says, huh, there's nothing in it for me what a load of crap.
You've made far more negative than positive comments from what I've read.

Saying how, "unimpressed" you are with new features and what little need you have of other features is in no way positive and a waste of time frankly.

There are lots of features I don't use, I don't use the drum editor because it's not full screen for one (though I am more likely to use this version) and I'm not an edrummer. I don't use midi loops or presets either come to that but I'm aware that a great many users do and I was one who was asking for more presets despite never using them in anger.

It may sound harsh but if you don't like it don't buy it, buy superior drummer or use one of the many work arounds that people have found for running BFD2 within pro-tools and that you're already using.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

davecmcgrath

Postby davecmcgrath » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I've been using the demo and there is a little learning curve but I seem to be able to find my way around. I love the ability to customise the kit size, and as an E Drummer I can get the kit to match the size of my setup. I am getting used to the UI but I also would prefer less of the light screen as it is a bit hard on my eyes. The midi mapping took a couple of minutes to adjust to compared to BFD2 but I think I'm there, need to test out the variable hats, tom swells and cymbal swells properly. With regards to the new sounds it's hard to judge as the demo has limited layers and kit pieces but I'm sure the full version will sound excellent ( I listened to the demo files on BFD3 page). So I'm just waiting for a release that is a bit more stable (having read the forum and some of the issues people are having) before I jump in.

Also it's a shame that there are no helpful videos on the FXP site and they only seem to exist on a paid for service elsewhere. Does FXP have any plans to offer any ?

I would just say I would pay for an update to BFD2 to AAX64 as it would give me better backward compatability in Protools sessions regardless of whether I run (eventually) BFD3. For example BFD ECO (which I also use) went to 64bit (but not AAX64) and was a paid upgrade

Merry Xmas folks :)
iMac 3.00 Ghz 12 Gb RAM OSX Yosemite, BFD ECO, BFD2, BFD3, Protools PT11, MBox2, Dell Studio 15 laptop Intel Core2 Duo P8600(2.4 Ghz), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate, Alesis DM10 drums , Roland SPD-S

Johnw123

Postby Johnw123 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:38 pm

The download is slow. At least it was for me for the full version. It took me two days.

As to the BFD3 UI I like it a lot. I also have BFD 2 and BFD Eco too. I find the new UI easy to work with and just about everything I need to access is right there. I makes perfect logic to me and I wouldn't change a thing.

Yes it will take a little getting use to but it is really worth it.

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:05 pm

purtington wrote:
jackn2mpu wrote:

I don't know what Fxpansions reasons for not supplying an AAX64 update for BFD2 were but it might be worth bearing in mind that Pro-Tools 11 was released a good 5 or even 7 months in to BFD3's development and understandably BFD3 was their number 1 propriety.
I never owned BFD1 but I would be surprised if there were any BFD1 updates that came after the release of BFD2 so if that were the case it's very unlikely there will be any further development for BFD2.

I'm sure you're right in saying that's what a lot of people wanted, but I doubt that many would have wanted that and that alone and I'm guessing that many of those who upgraded to pro-tools 11 are quite liking BFD3 and might well have upgraded even if BFD2 had been given an AAX64 update.

You say you've made positive comments Jack but I've struggled to find them and since you're so appreciative of honesty to me you've come across like a sulking teenager who shrugs his shoulders and says, huh, there's nothing in it for me what a load of crap.
You've made far more negative than positive comments from what I've read.

Saying how, "unimpressed" you are with new features and what little need you have of other features is in no way positive and a waste of time frankly.

There are lots of features I don't use, I don't use the drum editor because it's not full screen for one (though I am more likely to use this version) and I'm not an edrummer. I don't use midi loops or presets either come to that but I'm aware that a great many users do and I was one who was asking for more presets despite never using them in anger.

It may sound harsh but if you don't like it don't buy it, buy superior drummer or use one of the many work arounds that people have found for running BFD2 within pro-tools and that you're already using.

Steve
Not buying the whole thing of PT11 was released 5 or 7 months into BFD3's development. Release date means nothing as Avid was actually working on PT11 5 years and I'm sure the developer partners like fxpansion got a heads-up on what was coming. So things could have been done way different.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

jackn2mpu

Postby jackn2mpu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm

jord wrote:A lot of things can be done... it's just the feasibility at this point in time in doing so, considering BFD2 is over six years old now and let's face it: nothing is free. Developers have to eat too.

Rather than biased opinions, let's be a little more constructive here and how about you describe your workflow as far as BFD is concerned. Perhaps, there's some light that can be shed, rather than senseless head-butting going on.

Considering that I am one of the "fanboy beta testers", as you so myopically put it (actually, I was part of the alpha testing team), I was one of of a bunch that fought rather hard for the type of increased usability for BFD3 especially for creating kits, presets and keymaps, and I still keep the warnings from Drew on my computer as a trophy. All things considered BFD2 is a UX nightmare and RSI in the making and a lot of our aim alongside a number of others was to make things easier. If you like to thrive on the complicated, which somehow I think you actually get some sadistical pleasure out of it judging from all of your posts, who is anyone to stand between you and your ways? You own 'em.

jord
Didn't say things had to be free - I would gladly have paid for an aax64 bit update version of BFD 2.

If the aim was to make things easier - I don't see it. Sure not easier for those of us that are used to working in BFD2. Maybe easier for new adopters of BFD.

I should describe my workflow so you or others can convince me to buy BFD 3? Not going to happen. I don't need someone to convince me to buy anything. As a matter of fact if someone tries to do that I tune that out immediately. I prefer to make up my own mind, thank you. All the glowing reviews or customer testimonials in the world mean squat to me.

All this being said, this is getting old quickly and I'm sure others think the same. Said my last words on this or anything else BFD on this forum.
Jack
Pro Tools 2019.6
BFD 3 and plenty more

Qapla

Return to “BFD3”