Unknown kits ? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Unknown kits ?

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

andyjh
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Unknown kits ?

Postby andyjh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

I have several kits in BFD3 that seem to be tagged as "unknown" - although I can work out what they are, there must be something wrong with an XML file tagging them wrong,

for example on the JEX expansion pack, X Drums kits 1 - 5 show up as JEX library, but X Drums kits 1A - 5A show as unknown.


Does anyone know what needs to be edited to get them to be tagged correctly. Is it the bfd2kit file or the XML files that define the library tagging?

andyjh
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby andyjh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am

Yes, it's the library filter, I have 16 kits which are BFD2 kits, that come up as unknown. All the kits I have edited do come up as unknown as well, so it would be good to tag them as well, though if the only ones in the unknown group are user kits, then that would be OK.

Though, 179 kits to edit is not an encouraging thought.

It would be good if we had a detailed description of what makes up the XML and kit files, there seems inconsistences between files and data such as info_path doesn't seem important (I assume it relates from where the file was created, as the path often doesn't exist - so why is it there?) . I also assume the order of data is not important either.

I have compared two kit files with one that is tagged right and that isn't, and I cannot see any difference in the files.

One thing is for sure, if you edit an XML file, your need to rescan the content locations.

anabkemeir
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 am

Postby anabkemeir » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:14 pm

I have edited successfully kits and grooves, etc that did not show not in the appropriate location in BFD3. The kit file has data such as info_name="X Drums Kit 4A" info_librarylong="JEX" with some of the kits the info_librarylong="JEX" is missing or simply does not exist. That's the key string. So to edit a number of files quickly, I used textcrawler. With text crawler I would search for a string and replace it with another, pending if the librarylong was missing or to change it. Such as, search for info_name="X Drums Kit 4A" and replace with info_name="X Drums Kit 4A" info_librarylong="JEX" this way you are creating the info name and just add the librarylong data. Some files I had to just have to edit the librarylong string, others had to create the librarylong string. With textcrawler (freeware) I could do a number of files at the same time, because you select the files to search then edit only those automatically. Do make a backup first before doing this, so you have something to back to! You must rescan all data paths then afterwards.

andyjh
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby andyjh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm

This may seem a question that has no answer, because it looks impossible, but I definitely have one kit working and one not, so I would like to know why this is so.

This is the top of the X Drums Kit 1.bfd2kit file which is tagged in BFD3 as "JEX"

<root>
<BFD2KitInfo name="kit_info" info_path="C:\Users\USER\Documents\FXpansion\BFD2\Kits\X Drums Kit 1.bfd2kit" info_photo="X Drums Kit 1.tga" info_name="X Drums Kit 1" info_rating="3">
<VString name="kit_text" string="" />
.......

and this is the top of the X Drums Kit 1A file which gets tagged as "unknown"

<root>

<BFD2KitInfo name="kit_info" info_path="C:\Users\USER\Documents\FXpansion\BFD2\Kits\X Drums Kit 1A.bfd2kit" info_photo="X Drums Kit 1A.tga" info_name="X Drums Kit 1A" info_rating="3">

<VString name="kit_text" string="" />


..........


so why does the first kit file work and second one doesn't?

anabkemeir
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:28 am

Postby anabkemeir » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Sorry, I don't know. Did you do the convert selected paths in the content locations? Mine are bfd3kit files.

andyjh
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby andyjh » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 pm

I gave up trying to figure why it was going wrong, so I just added the info_library tag "JEX" to the kit file and everything is OK now,

after an evening of editing, I now have no unknown kits, inner peace at last.........

greg.montano@gmail.com
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Andy if you feel like sharing the inner peace, I'm sure many would be appreciative :)
Yamaha DTX 900
BFD 3 w/most expansion packs
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 3770k
Gigabyte mobo
16 gig RAM
Cubase Pro 8.5.0
Studio One Pro 3.1
RME UFX

greg.montano@gmail.com
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Andy if you feel like sharing the inner peace, I'm sure many would be appreciative :)
Yamaha DTX 900
BFD 3 w/most expansion packs
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 3770k
Gigabyte mobo
16 gig RAM
Cubase Pro 8.5.0
Studio One Pro 3.1
RME UFX

andyjh
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby andyjh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:41 am

Just spotted I still have some unknown drums, looks like the inner peace has gone again....

greg.montano@gmail.com
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: USA

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:10 am

+1 on textcrawler. just updated the 31 CHIMP presets in about 5 seconds to be tagged CHIMP for library versus "user."
Yamaha DTX 900
BFD 3 w/most expansion packs
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 3770k
Gigabyte mobo
16 gig RAM
Cubase Pro 8.5.0
Studio One Pro 3.1
RME UFX


Return to “BFD3”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests