FXpansion Forum

Mute in mixer vs. groove editor

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

three_eyed_otter

Mute in mixer vs. groove editor

Postby three_eyed_otter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Hello to all,

Why when I mute a hi hat in the mixer will it not mute unless I mute it in the groove editor? It seems to me if I mute a kit piece in the mixer it should override all available mutes & mute the kit piece...

Have a good one,

3Eo

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Mutes in the mixer are for that particular audio only - so if you mute the hihat channel, you're only muting THAT particular microphone - you still hear the hats in the ambient microphones.

Mutes in the kitpiece Inspector mute the kitpiece itself.

Mutes in the groove editor mute only the triggering of the kitpiece for that particular groove. You can still trigger it from midi and hear the kitpiece.

three_eyed_otter

Postby three_eyed_otter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Good to know...I thought I was muting the ambient channel as well. I'll have to check again when I get a chance.

Have a good one,

3Eo

three_eyed_otter

Postby three_eyed_otter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Not being able to mute sounds in the mixer is a bit of a pain for mixing...I'm assuming many ppl. don't use the BFD mixer then? If I still have the sound coming out the ambience channel, but I need the ambience channel to to get the levels right on the kit pieces I'm working with then it's not feasible to mute the ambience channel. If anybody has any workflow suggestions in this area that I'm overlooking, I would greatly appreciate them.

Have a good one,

3Eo

anabkemeir

Postby anabkemeir » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

If you mute in the right pane in the tech view, that mutes the kit piece and hence mutes both ambient and direct sound.

jord

Postby jord » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:50 pm

three_eyed_otter wrote:Not being able to mute sounds in the mixer is a bit of a pain for mixing...I'm assuming many ppl. don't use the BFD mixer then? If I still have the sound coming out the ambience channel, but I need the ambience channel to to get the levels right on the kit pieces I'm working with then it's not feasible to mute the ambience channel. If anybody has any workflow suggestions in this area that I'm overlooking, I would greatly appreciate them.

I don't think I get what you're saying. The mute buttons on the mixer function as they should: muting the channel they are associated with. Muting anything else would not be considered normal.

Many of us use ambients without directs for various types of mixing.

As was stated, if you wanted to mute a kit piece along with its ambient channel, you would be doing this in the KPI.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

three_eyed_otter

Postby three_eyed_otter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:24 pm

jord wrote:
three_eyed_otter wrote:Not being able to mute sounds in the mixer is a bit of a pain for mixing...I'm assuming many ppl. don't use the BFD mixer then? If I still have the sound coming out the ambience channel, but I need the ambience channel to to get the levels right on the kit pieces I'm working with then it's not feasible to mute the ambience channel. If anybody has any workflow suggestions in this area that I'm overlooking, I would greatly appreciate them.

I don't think I get what you're saying. The mute buttons on the mixer function as they should: muting the channel they are associated with. Muting anything else would not be considered normal.

jord

I want to be able to mute the sound so that when I mute a channel the sound is completely muted, i.e., inaudible...

Like anabkemeir said, it is possible to completely mute the sound in the drum tech view making the kit piece completely inaudible despite being associated with the ambient channel. Interestingly, when muting a kit piece in the drum tech view the mute button in the tweaks view will flash red as if muted, but then return to normal.

Have a good one,

3Eo

jord

Postby jord » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Tweaks view is not really mixer channel related. Tweaks view is more like a dashboard for all your kit pieces.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

three_eyed_otter

Postby three_eyed_otter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:50 pm

jord wrote:Tweaks view is not really mixer channel related. Tweaks view is more like a dashboard for all your kit pieces.

jord

I understand...I was trying to point out that there is strange behavior (relationship) between the drum tech view & the tweaks view when muting in the drum tech view.

Have a good one,

3Eo

Return to “BFD3”