Forum

FXpansion Forum

Feature Requests

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

WHHF54@yahoo.ca

Presets, Kits etc.. Browser - Detachable & Sizeable

Postby WHHF54@yahoo.ca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Tx for the reply Andy, ya putting back the kit piece selector and name as options to sort would be good, surprised they took them off in the first place.

Anyway U asked for Ideas re: Detachable Browser, and impossible? with what has been going on in this industry over the past couple of years, who knows, - maybe in BFD 3.1 or .2

Pass along the the idea, one never knows what greatness lies ahead.

WiLLi & MMX3P
The Outlet For Creative Bent Studio (TOFCBS) Cakewalk (DAW), NI K-12 Ult,BFD3,ST4,120+addt Instr,& 650+Effects-Waves-Mercury. 11 input devices; 40 touch pads, 120,000+ sounds. Rec-24/48,Win10-Pro-x64,i7 6700K Oc'd @4.7,64Gb RAM,Scarlett 18i20,10spks

mickgormaley

Postby mickgormaley » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:00 am

gmontano wrote:As an edrummer - I would love an advanced metronome that I could easily set to play back various subdivisions such as 1/4, 1/8. 1/16, 1/32, triplets, sextuplets, etc. to practice to.

I'm also an edrummer and what I'd like to see is a flashing metronome that I can see in my peripheral vision. Perhaps something adjustable in size like the bar/beats counter in ProTools, but with a flashing light that will follow either a global tempo or a complete tempo map (perhaps an imported MIDI file).
Mick

Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7, OSX 10.10.2, 16GB RAM
512 GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO (system), 1TB HGST Travelstar HD (internal), 500 GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO (LaCie Thunderbolt external - DATA),
UA Apollo Quad interface w/Thunderbolt card OSv7.11.1, Pro Tools HD v11.3.1
BFD3 v3.0.4.6, BFD2 v2.3.1.6, Tremor v1.0.3.0
Trapkat 4.0 & 2 Drumkat 3.8's

mickgormaley

Rearrange drums in kit display window

Postby mickgormaley » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 pm

This has to do with ekits. I'd like a way to rearrange my kit pieces in the kit display window. Currently drums seem to be placed into the kit in a preconceived fashion, which usually doesn't resemble the kits actual layout.

How about having preset kit layouts for ekits that could would visually match your kit. For instance I use a trapkat in front of me, two drumkats on the left and right sides, and six hatkat/fatkat pedals. It would be great to be able to drag a picture of each unit into the window and arrange them to match my setup. I could save that as my kit preset/map.

Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7, OSX 10.10.2, 16GB RAM
512 GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO (system)
1TB HGST Travelstar HD (internal)
500 GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO (LaCie Thunderbolt external - DATA),
UA Apollo Quad interface w/Thunderbolt card OSv7.11.1, Pro Tools HD v11.3.1
BFD3 v3.0.4.6, BFD2 v2.3.1.6, Tremor v1.0.3.0
Trapkat 4.0 & 2 Drumkat 3.8's

Verda Lumo

Postby Verda Lumo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 am

An interesting addition would be a simplification of import third-party samples - on the principle of Drag-and-drop, with the ability to automatically save the result in a preset drum kit.

soundmill

Postby soundmill » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 pm

BFD3 is the drum machine I dreamed of having when I was kid in the 80s. I have been using now for about 6 months and I cannot find fault with anything, I really can't, I won't ever be without it! If i had to pick just one thing about it I would say the editor sets it apart from the rest by light years, it is perfectly detailed to make drum programming and editing sound authentic, never been achieved before IMO. At last I have deleted all those midi files I hated having to use, nothing wrong with them, its the end result that matters but I just want to program my stuff.

The mixer and effects section too are just brilliant, as with the most important part - the sound!

At present I only have the basic samples from the Oblivion pack loaded (Mapex Orion Kit) - just the 15 samples, no presets, mixers or grooves. I get distracted so I have to keep it simple as I can noodle with drum machines for days. By doing this I have had to explore every single aspect of BFD3 extensively to get a result, and now I am the master! My drums sound a billion times better than before and I also now have a better understanding of how kits should be recorded and mixed.

So on to the feature request - just one thing please, a darker screen to back the editor instead of white, I honestly see a grid for an hour after heavy use!

BFD3 I salute you.

gufi666

Mixer stops working

Postby gufi666 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 am

HI,

I'm using BFD3 (last update) with Pro Tools 11.3.0 and mixer in BDF doesn't work. I can't change volume. When I moving sliders nothing happen but when I double click on channel I can only reset setting to 0. What is the reason ???

Regards
Artur

kafka

Feature Request: Clear Grooves Not Used In Song Track

Postby kafka » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Would like to be able to clear all grooves not used in the song track. This would make it easier to construct songs based on libraries that aren't organized into song segments.

Also, when you move a groove from one slot to another, the song track should automatically sync to the change. I like to keep my verses, choruses, intros, etc together, and sometimes I want to create a few variations that I hadn't though of. This would make it easier to keep things organized.

kafka

Feature Request: Multple Song Tracks in a Groove Palette

Postby kafka » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 pm

It would be nice to be able to have multiple song tracks in a Groove Palette, like a ProTools playlist. This would make it easier to construct variations and audition them against an arrangement.

nonsqtr

Postby nonsqtr » Sun May 03, 2015 6:50 am

As a new BFD-3 user fresh off the headaches of the install, let me just say, someone's gotta fix these installation issues. As a power user of all kinds of software, I find myself getting bad vibes right from the git-go when stuff doesn't install right, or when I need to go fishing for instructions on how to install stuff. The current state of BFD installs on Windows is "highly unprofessional" when it comes to a software package as sophisticated as BFD-3. For instance, the whole issue of Windows user accounts is easily solved, things like that shouldn't even appear on the end user's radar screen.

Anyway, that being said, the very first thing I'd like to see is a way to get MIDI information through the RTAS plug-in (since I happen to be using PT-9). I don't know whether this works in PT-12, I haven't tried that yet, but in PT9 the BFD-3 plugin does not provide MIDI out information (even though the outputs are there, it's just that nothing appears on them). I would say that's pretty much a must-have, relative to the concept of "workflow".

This is my biggest issue with BFD so far, is "workflow". I want to get stuff into and out of my ProTools, that's the whole reason for BFD's existence in my musical arsenal, it's the "only" reason I bought BFD-3. I need that plugin to operate absolutely seamlessly with my PtoTools, I have to be able to get MIDI information in and out both ways in real time or any other way, because I can never tell which tool my task might require at any given moment. As it stands, if I put together a nice long palette consisting of 15 or 20 grooves, I CAN NOT import the whole palette at once, it's impossible. I have to export each midi groove independently, and then reconstruct the palette in ProTools. That's "very bad", it's entirely unforgivable from the standpoint of workflow. It turns a five minute task into a five HOUR task, and I just don't have time like that when I'm trying to compete with the next guy down the street for work.

So what I have to do instead, is do all my work inside ProTools, and forget about using any of BFD-3's wonderful grooves except as a "starting point". I have to build all the loops in ProTools, I have to sequence them and structure them in ProTools..... which makes BFD's beautiful groove editor entirely useless! There needs to be a simple way to export grooves AND entire palettes in real time and via files, it has to be entirely bulletproof and robust. This is "workflow", right? End users have to be 100% confident in the workflow, otherwise no one's going to use this product in a professional setting. If someone gives me a voice and guitar and expects me to turn around a prototype drum track overnight, I'm not going to be able to do that if I have to export individual bars out of a three minute song. This is why I consider this capability to be a "must-have". As I say, not sure if it works with the AAX version of the plug-in (does it?).

But so far, those are my only two gripes. I'm still a happy camper just to have stuff working, I couldn't get BFD-2 running at all on my old machine. This new one seems to work a lot better, both versions of BFD (2 and 3) are running and seem to be working ok so far. The sounds are great, there's a lot of good stuff in there, but I mean... I have to use this stuff like legos, to build some pretty complex structures, and the samples are good but it would be a whole lot better if the product actually saved me time on my workflow. Right now I can go into VST-land and do most of what I'm trying to do with BFD-3 inside ProTools, the real value-add of having BFD (other than the samples) is that it lets me build and edit grooves. I've been in plenty of situations where we get halfway through mastering and then decide a hi-hat needs to be changed, and how am I going to do that if I have to go edit the groove in BFD and then export the whole palette all over again (even the parts I'm not changing)?

Anyway, end of rant - just the installation (instructions) and the MIDI notes so far. (I'm sure there'll be more as I get more time to explore).

btw I know how to program InstallShield if FXpansion is listening and you don't mind a work-from-home solution (and I'll fix that user account problem too), let me know... :)

nonsqtr

Postby nonsqtr » Sun May 03, 2015 7:21 am

btw I should also note the BFD-3 manual makes specific reference to a checkbox called "Turn MIDI Output On", which is allegedly on the "Session Preferences" page, and none of that stuff exists. There is no such checkbox, anywhere.

nonsqtr

Postby nonsqtr » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 pm

purtington wrote:
nonsqtr wrote:btw I should also note the BFD-3 manual makes specific reference to a checkbox called "Turn MIDI Output On", which is allegedly on the "Session Preferences" page, and none of that stuff exists. There is no such checkbox, anywhere.

Go to, 'tools/preferences/session and make sure the "Send Midi Out" box is checked.

It is quite clearly there.

Steve

Hi Steve - yes, it's in the manual, however the checkbox isn't on the page. It isn't anywhere, at least in my version. It isn't in the standalone version either, so it's not the RTAS plug-in's fault. There is no such checkbox anywhere on my preference pages.

It used to be "annoying" to get midi backwards through an RTAS plug-in, however these days it's trivially easy, in fact there's half a dozen ways you can do it for free in a redistributable manner (and it's just as easy to write your own driver). All you have to do is create a virtual midi device and claim one end of it (and send your output there), and make the other end available to the system. That's it, it's that easy. In fact, there's even freeware out there that'll let you do it directly to an iPad using Apple's b*stardized midi-over-ip.

I would love to work with the FXpansion folks, I think BFD-3 is a great product, and with just a few added touches to make the user's initial experience a little more comfortable, I think it would gain wider acceptance. Unfortunately I thought I was trying to transition out of software development and into full-time music production.... :)

nonsqtr

Postby nonsqtr » Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 pm

purtington wrote:
nonsqtr wrote:.

I CAN NOT import the whole palette at once, it's impossible. I have to export each midi groove independently, and then reconstruct the palette in ProTools. That's "very bad", it's entirely unforgivable from the standpoint of workflow. It turns a five minute task into a five HOUR task, and I just don't have time like that when I'm trying to compete with the next guy down the street for work.

Are you trying to get your entire pallet into pro-tools midi track by dragging it?

Yes, that's one way I've tried, you can drag a single groove over to the region list in ProTools and it'll ask you if you want to leave it there or create a new track with it. But it only works for one groove at a time.

So for instance, here's a simple scenario: let's say I load the Hard Rock 108 preset, which consists of a bunch of grooves strung together. So now, I can see those grooves in BFD, I can see their structure, and I can drag over them with my mouse and "apparently" select them all, but as you say when I paste nothing happens.

Is there perhaps some concern with FXpansion's proprietary groove format? I'm not sure what additional information that contains, that a midi file doesn't, but perhaps it's this concept of sequencing neighboring grooves. I don't know, just wondering if there's some reason they don't want us to export "the entire midi". I would have thought the capability would certainly be there in the standalone version, but apparently that's been turned off too (as I mentioned, no checkbox on mine - is there one on yours?)

I just tried this in cakewalks sonar and you're right, it won't let you do it although I'm not entirely sure if it's sonar or BFD3 that won't accept it. I just can't for the life of me figure out how it could take you FIVE hours to drag an entire pallet into your midi track?

Well, it's not just that, it's the idea that you have to keep the mappings in your mind while you're doing it. In other words, once I build a finished sequence of grooves I'd like to forget about it, I don't want to have to remember that there's a mini-groove in the last quarter of the fill in the third verse that was derived from the same parent groove as the first two verses but is "slightly different" - it makes stuff too complex, more complex than it has to be. One learns when one does repetitive workflows that naming conventions are a good thing, they help.... it's still a lot to keep in your mind though (or equivalently, on note paper).

Typically pallets don't contain much more then 20 or so grooves so just dragging them one at a time shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

It's not something I do myself as I prefer to create my own drum tracks and rarely use the included grooves or pallets but I just dragged the entire pallet into a midi track in sonar in less than 10 seconds.

Well... most of the time I start with a canned groove, and then modify it to suit my needs. And, since I do data entry with keyboards and pads, I often do individual drums to separate tracks and then combine them later, sometimes it makes the editing a little easier and a little less cluttered. So if I have 14 drums in my kit sometimes the problem gets multiplied.

Load a pallet, select the the entire pallet in the right hand browser by clicking on the top groove and hold down control/shift and select the bottom groove, this will select them all (highlighted in blue) then drag them as one into the BFD3 track at the bottom of the editor, from there you can drag the entire track into your midi track.

That last part is the part that doesn't work for me. I can select the entire track but when I paste it I get nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a "paste special" or some such thing?

Perhaps I'll make a video although I think there may already be one on youtube

Edit: Okay, so I looked on youtube and found nothing so here's a quick video to demonstrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqaq4kD0t18

Hope that helps

Steve

I can't get any audio out of that video! :)

All we'd need for this vital enhancement is for FXpansion to turn on the midi output from BFD-3, and direct it to a port of my choice - I can even do the rest. So how it would work is, if you put your BFD plug-in on an audio track (thereby being able to record the audio), you'd set up a separate midi track and select "BFD Output" as its input, and now you have the exact same thing as if a drum machine was sending you both midi and audio output at the same time. That's super-important, you can't have a drum machine that leaves out half of the result! :)

Anyway, so I'm "in search of an efficient way to build songs". There's also such a thing as using the midi track for other purposes, for instance I can export a song as midi and then bring it into Structure or SampleTank or any of a dozen others, there are plenty of programs that will properly interpret the articulations as well as the velocity layers so there's a wide starting point.. With real-time data entry from a keyboard, I mainly find it necessary to constantly go back and adjust the note velocities. there's usually several rounds of that till I find the right balance.

kafka

Feature Request: Master Trim Knob

Postby kafka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

I'd like to see a master trim knob - not the master output gain, but a master trim. I still use those super hot BFD2/London kits a lot, and it would be nice to be able to trim all kit pieces down at the source instead of just at the output.
Last edited by kafka on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kafka

Feature Request: Load Partial Kit

Postby kafka » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:29 pm

I'd like to be able to load a new kit on top an already loaded kit, without unloading the pieces that aren't used in the new kit. That way I could either reload a kit containing just cymbals or toms, or add a suite of percussion instruments (such as just tympani, chimes, or Latin percussion), while still keeping the rest of the kit in place.

AshleySmith08

Re: Feature Request: Master Trim Knob

Postby AshleySmith08 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:09 am

kafka wrote:I'd like to see a master trim knob - not the master output gain, but a master trim. I still use those super hot BFD2/London kits a lot, and it would be nice to be able to trim all kit pieces down at the source instead of just at the output.

Have you clicked on the 'Tweaks' button in the mixer and adjusted the 'Preview' control on the Master channel? There are trims there also for each kit piece/sub groups.
Engineer/Producer/Musician/Media Content Creator
CV: https://app.box.com/s/oiulec8q1eyqn2r0s46k
MacPro 12 Core 2x2.4 GHz, 24 GB Ram | MacBook Pro 2.8GHz i7, 16GB Ram
10.8.4/10.10.4, UA Apollo Quad, PT 12.x

Return to “BFD3”