FXpansion Forum

I want to add hits to a simple groove, but it keeps looping

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Ty Ford

I want to add hits to a simple groove, but it keeps looping

Postby Ty Ford » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi,

I'm using a simple kick, snare, hihat grove but want to add accent splashes.

I have selected and duplicated the groove for the whole song.

The problem is, I can't just add on the timeline because the original groove repeats every 7 1/2 measures and includes
my first splash.

I want to add them along the song in different places, where I want. All the hits are on the timeline for the whole song, but the playback continues to loop at 7.5 measures.

How do I stop looping?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

PS: pretend I'm 4 years old when explaining,.

purtington

Re: I want to add hits to a simple groove, but it keeps looping

Postby purtington » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Ty Ford wrote:Hi,

I'm using a simple kick, snare, hihat grove but want to add accent splashes.

I have selected and duplicated the groove for the whole song.

The problem is, I can't just add on the timeline because the original groove repeats every 7 1/2 measures and includes
my first splash.

I want to add them along the song in different places, where I want. All the hits are on the timeline for the whole song, but the playback continues to loop at 7.5 measures.

How do I stop looping?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

PS: pretend I'm 4 years old when explaining,.

Erm, ah.. have you tried turning off the loop button?

It's on the play bar between the record and panic buttons.

Steve

https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

Ty Ford

Postby Ty Ford » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 am

Hey Purtington,

I believe I did. and thanks for your response. I did get it working the way I needed it to.

I changed from adding multiple copies from the list to elongating one copy.

I've been a Mac user for a very long time; using DAW and MIDI softwares.

BFD is a powerful tool. I really like the sounds and the potential for what I can do with it. It's just that what to click on to get the job done seems foreign to me. I know, my fault and RTFM.

I did read the manual but couldn't find the part that would let me do what I wanted. And I'm pretty good at reading good manuals.

Is there a "BFD for Dummies" document somewhere that would open a door for me? I feel like I'll just one or two "Aha Moments" from being stellar with this software.

Thanks very much,

Ty

purtington

Postby purtington » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 am

Ty Ford wrote:Is there a "BFD for Dummies" document somewhere that would open a door for me? I feel like I'll just one or two "Aha Moments" from being stellar with this software.

Thanks very much,Ty

Not exactly for dummies but still well worth the money are these two tutorials from ask audio and groove3

The BFD3 demystified is probably the better of the two and quite a lot cheaper too.

https://www.askvideo.com/course/bfd3-demystified

BFD3 Explained

http://www.groove3.com/str/BFD3-Explained.html

There also quite a few tutorials on youtube from fxpansion and by other users.

It is a huge program so don't expect to learn it all in one go and I dare say it does a lot that you won't need to know about may want to 8)

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

jord

Postby jord » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:54 am

Perhaps, you should state clearly as to what you are attempting to do, so that we all can assist you better.

As well, it is probably best to let us know which DAW you are using in conjunction.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Ty Ford

Postby Ty Ford » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Sure Jord,

I'm running BFD3 inside PT 10 on a Mac. I'm not a percussionist. When I use BFD3, I find patterns that are close to what I want first as a click track. At that point it's best if they're pretty simple. In my present situation, I made up a simple 4 measure kick snare hh sequence based on what the client wanted to hear while laying down a guitar track and then a vocal track.

As this piece builds, I want to add additional percussion hits to the track and sometimes subtract othere. In the old days, I'd open another MIDI track play in the parts on a keyboard and then, if needed, merge the tracks. I tried that but Pro Tools crashed repeatedly. From what I've been told, I can not have more than one instantiation of BFD3 in a Pro Tools project, so I guess I need to learn to work within one. When I ran into that problem last year, I didn't have the need to find a better solution. Now I do.

So I found a groove that worked and first tried to copy and paste it. Well, BFD3 calls that duplicate, even though there are "copy" and "paste" edit choices. You may be able to select and copy, but you can't reposition the cursor and paste. Not very intuitive for me. Why bother to have copy and paste?

I'm also not a big fan of left mouse/right mouse. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. It's a small thing, but the differentiation gets in the way of my "composer" brain. Neanderthal, but there you have it.

I googled and found "duplicate", but had already placed one hit and, of course, it also populated each duplicate. Finally I pulled the boundary of the groove instead of duplicating and then added hits with the mouse. (not as good sometimes as being able to "play" them in on the keyboard, but I guess that'll have to do.

Does that help?

Thanks!

Ty Ford

PS: I ran into something similar last year with SoundBlade for CD prep. If you've been using SoundBlade for a while, I suppose you get used to the little quirks that are not that intuitive. I never got off the ground with SoundBlade, probably because I don't use it daily and the number of "secret handshakes" you had to memorize were so unintuitive that it was grossly tedious to the point of being unusable.

Return to “BFD3”