Getting Started with BFD 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Getting Started with BFD 3

Support for BFD Premium Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

algyandbiggles

Getting Started with BFD 3

Postby algyandbiggles » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Everyone, apologies if I'm in the wrong area, but I don't have the time to trawl through thousands of posts.

I bought BFD3 a few years ago, had a go with it and then left it alone on my laptop. I am a simple drummer who is completely new to this electronic music thing, so please remember that. Not being a 'Techie', I find the manual totally bewildering - it seems to tell me how good the package is and how it is an improvement on the old version. Typical bloke, I just want to dive in and use the thing to write rhythms, but I can't seem to make head or tail of what is in the package. What I need is a Dummies Guide to BFD3! Can anyone please advise me on how to start writing a rhythm, or where to find the information - in a very basic form - on how to do so. My only experience of using programmes to write drum rhythms and tracks is with Sibelius, for which I used it to write the music and printed it for giving drum lessons, and a very old Yamaha drum machine.
Playing the pre-written Grooves, I can't move the window so I can see the patterns as the line moves over them. I can see the drum track at the bottom of the display, but I have no idea how to follow the line as it is passing over each part of the rhythm.
Also, a very basic question, if I open a groove and alter it, then save it, does that lose that pre-written groove, or is that fixed?
I'm sure many of you will laugh at my ignorance, but some real help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise the package is going to just sit on my laptop dong nothing!
Thanks in anticitpation of your help.

purtington

Re: Getting Started with BFD 3

Postby purtington » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm

algyandbiggles wrote:Hi Everyone, apologies if I'm in the wrong area, but I don't have the time to trawl through thousands of posts.

I bought BFD3 a few years ago, had a go with it and then left it alone on my laptop. I am a simple drummer who is completely new to this electronic music thing, so please remember that. Not being a 'Techie', I find the manual totally bewildering - it seems to tell me how good the package is and how it is an improvement on the old version. Typical bloke, I just want to dive in and use the thing to write rhythms, but I can't seem to make head or tail of what is in the package. What I need is a Dummies Guide to BFD3! Can anyone please advise me on how to start writing a rhythm, or where to find the information - in a very basic form - on how to do so. My only experience of using programmes to write drum rhythms and tracks is with Sibelius, for which I used it to write the music and printed it for giving drum lessons, and a very old Yamaha drum machine.
Playing the pre-written Grooves, I can't move the window so I can see the patterns as the line moves over them. I can see the drum track at the bottom of the display, but I have no idea how to follow the line as it is passing over each part of the rhythm.
Also, a very basic question, if I open a groove and alter it, then save it, does that lose that pre-written groove, or is that fixed?
I'm sure many of you will laugh at my ignorance, but some real help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise the package is going to just sit on my laptop dong nothing!
Thanks in anticitpation of your help.

A lot of things to go through here and I've not time right now but you really need to start basic and work your way up.
Learn to walk before you can run, BFD3 is extremely deep and complex and to be honest I'm not sure I'd advise a complete beginner to
go that route but it is, in my opinion still the best on the market, closely followed by Superior Drummer 3.

If you haven't already, you should really fi9nd as many tutorials on youtube and go through them step by step.

Are you using BFD3 in stand alone?
Do you not have another sequencer such as reaper or ablenton, cubase, sonar to name a few.
They all have a similar drum editor, the BFD3 one is different and to be honest I'm still in the habit of using the sonar piano roll to edit my drums but I keep meaning to convert.

There's also two very excellent guides I'll post below.

https://ask.audio/academy?nleloc=course/1658/bfd3-demystified&sess_id=120uscmmiboo8l9i54is34iau5

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/BFD3-Explained

Good luck

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Return to “BFD”