The best Electronic drum kit for BFD.........? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

The best Electronic drum kit for BFD.........?

Support for BFD Premium Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

dragontheory

The best Electronic drum kit for BFD.........?

Postby dragontheory » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:36 am

Im using Logic Pro on a really fast intel mac.....I have a few expansion pacs loaded.....and im really sic of playing drums with my index fingers..... Im not the best drummer.....but I hold it down.....So my question for the pros....

A. What electronic drum set up do you recomend?

of course Everyone who plays the roland TD20 's know they are killer......but are they really worth dishing out 5 G's?

I dont really care for the drum sounds anyway....Im Way WAY more into the BFD's....but I like the Pads.....

B. Is there a cheep way the get the V-drum feel for half the money?

hahahaha....go crazy...

:lol:

tek_uk

Postby tek_uk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi there,

what i did was to buy an Alesis DM5 drum module. You can find those for really cheap.
Then you can just buy whichever pad you like (I bought Roland ones, some on eBay, some new)

Just an idea...

tek_uk

Postby tek_uk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:47 pm

sorry, just to make it a bit clearer, i use the DM5 only to connect the pads (it has quite a lot of connectors in Jack format) and convert into midi. Then you can use any sound you want (BFD or else)
I don't personally use the onboard DM5 sounds but i guess it's a bonus.
Roland also sell a straight trigger to midi box but i think it is a lot more expensive than a second hand DM5.

midilance

Postby midilance » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:20 pm

A ddrum4 System One (USED). It has better dynamics than anything out there, especially if you are triggering acoustic drums using their triggers. ddrum electronic percussion doesn't appear to exist anymore but there have to be kits on ebay or craig's list.

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:39 pm

I read somewhere that there were problems finding the chips for the DDrums.. so I'd be wary of buying into that technology in case they fail. The Alesis Trigger/IO is a good option for a trigger to MIDI device.

Rail

dragontheory

Postby dragontheory » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Im interested to know more about using the Roland pads with just a midi trigger brain!

DAYUM THESE DRUMS ARE SMOKIN!

my frien is bringing over a set of TD6 ....so we will see if thats enough!

e.

midilance

Postby midilance » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Platinum Samples wrote:I read somewhere that there were problems finding the chips for the DDrums.. so I'd be wary of buying into that technology in case they fail. The Alesis Trigger/IO is a good option for a trigger to MIDI device.

Rail

The ddrum4 brain doesn't use replaceable sample chips. It has internal memory that allows you to load in samples from their libraries as well as ones of your own which is really cool if you want to take these sounds and play them live. However, it appears that the ddrum4 is a dead product. However, Clavia the company that made them, built bullet proof stuff. If you could find one used you'd have a great triggering setup.

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:09 pm

I wasn't talking about replaceable sample chips.. I was talking about the processor chips that they use to make it work... Old gear which relies on obsolete solid state technology, no matter how well designed or built it is, should be bought with the knowledge that the parts to repair it may no longer be available.

I think this was where I read this info when I was looking into the different edrums for use with BFD.

Rail

midilance

Postby midilance » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Very good. Interesting. I also am aware that one of the former principals at Clavia is starting a new company that will be coming up with an alternative to this. Hopefully, it will be a good one. The company is called 2Box. www.2Box.se

Yes, they're Swedish.

ocarus

Yes you can have a great kit at half the cost of a Roland

Postby ocarus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:00 am

I used a yamaha dtxplorer retail 800$ because I could not afford a roland kit. It worked great for BFD. However, I recently upgraded to a mesh kit, specifically the Pintech Ejam retail $950. I got a used mint cond TD-10 for 650$ on the Bay. Also, purchsed a used roland sp120 as a snare for 185$. So for around 2000$ I have a kit that rocks BFD as much as the top of the Roland retail 5600$. You can save money if you do research and always buy used. Personally, I would stay away from pads as they will make your wrists hurt if you plan to play for long periods. Check out drum DIY forums where people make, and convert real sets to silent ones. This is a cheaper alternative if you already own, or can purchse a cheap kit. Remember to take your time, great kits aren't built in a day. 8)
Attachments
My Kit.jpg
My Kit.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 24006 times
Pro Tools 11
iMac 21.5" Late 2012 ML
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Mackie MR5 studio monitors
BFD3

MikeyVPT

Well... obvi.

Postby MikeyVPT » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:44 pm

IMHO... RET Percussion drums are the only way to go... I mean, I can't stress this enough... they're the best, for me.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself!

-end-
President - www.VirtualPercussionOutlet.com

Equipment: RET Stealth kit, VPT package (BFD2, SD2, EZD, all EZX's, Addictive Drums and Alesis Trigger IO), Roland FD-8 hihat trigger pedal.

MikeyVPT@yahoo.com
www.youtube.com/MikeyVPT

ocarus

Postby ocarus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:32 pm

I would trust MickeyVPT opinion too. His vids on RET drums and BFD are fantastic, a true afectionado. I still prefer Pintech, but Ret makes a great set. I like the cymbals, someday I might upgrade. :lol:
Pro Tools 11

iMac 21.5" Late 2012 ML

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Mackie MR5 studio monitors

BFD3

Drumkat

Dauz DRUMS

Postby Drumkat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Mikey VPT the RET Drums are so over priced its not funny. And without rim condoms are such a loud kit it not funny. First off your video's, Any real drummers can see your not a player cause you have no chops and your timing is lets say you need some lessons in meter. But were talking about drum so lets talk. Any of you people know of DAUZ DRUMS? Been around 25 years and make pads for more power player then imaginable! There making a new kit that is IMO the best ELECTRONIC DRUMS for the money bar none! The company can sell you a kit with a MACBOOK PRO computer for Less then a VPT kit of any kind. Go to DAUZ and see for yourself or on FACEBOOK and look at his kits! I own one with custom graphics, oh did I mention Lifetime warranty on all his pads. Just a few name's that use his pads. Neil Peart, Ricky Lawson, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Jon Anderson YES, to name a few!!

vrdjs

Postby vrdjs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:17 am

Mikey, can you give me a little more info on the RET kit. I am using a Roland TD-10 right now and have a really tough time getting the cymbals to work correctly with BFD2. Plus there really isn't a dead on factory key map for the TD-10 as far as I know, so it's really a pain. So, I'm thinking of ditching the Roland and going another direction. I live in Los Angeles, so where would I go to see and play one of their kits? As far as I know they don't sell them out here. Thanks.

D.J.

P.S. For whatever it's worth, I think you play pretty well, bro and I work with the best drummers in LA every day.

Return to “BFD”