Problem deleting groove - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Problem deleting groove

Support for BFD Premium Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

FretBuzz

Problem deleting groove

Postby FretBuzz » Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Not sure if I am doing something wrong or this is a bug.

I am building up my own groove palette from different grooves and put one in I didn't want. So I right click and select "cut selected grooves" but rather than just cut the groove I get dialog telling me that "No groove is selected" (because I just cut it, doh!) and I cant do anything other than load a palette, load a groove or create a new groove. Have I missed the b*******g obvious somewhere?

FretBuzz

Postby FretBuzz » Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm

So either nobody else has the same problem or else nobody knows how to fix this. Anyway, having hit another annoying problem I have decided I have had enough of BFD 2. I thought I would use it on a new project instead of Superior Drummer 2 to give it a good work-out, but to be honest I spend more time fighting it than using it. So back to SD2 (64bit version that was free of charge, fxpansion take note) which although on the face of it is probably more complex, its a damn site easier to use. So if anyone wants a copy of BFD2 + a lot of add-ins I bought in a moment of madness, do let me know.

RiveraMan

Postby RiveraMan » Mon May 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi,
Works fine over here,
be sure you select the groove you want to get rid of first with the left mouse click and once it is selected, then right click and cut...
does this make sense?

I respect your view of things, but personally, although working with grooves in BFD2 has its flaws, I still think it is the best drumming software I ever used. I wouldn't ditch it that quickly... but it's your money :)

best,
RiveraMan

FretBuzz

Postby FretBuzz » Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi and yes I guess everybody has their own opinions. I really have tried with BFD2, I invested quite a bit of money and time, but nothing ever seems simple, like the cutting grooves thing - I did exactly what you said and everytime I got this dialog giving me no option but to add a new groove/palette or create one. its just so annoying when simple things just dont work. Then the next day, for some reason, I click play to hear a groove - I get one drum beat and everything locks, the 'stop' button does nothing, I cant play anything else and I have to restart my DAW. This happened several times. There have been countless other little irritations that just made using it a trial rather than a pleasure. SD2, and I know from the forums some people have issues with it, works flawlessly for me so in the end I decided I just didn't want to carry on fighting BFD2.

I respect your opinion, and happy you are happy, I guess I might have come over a bit strong, but at the time I was fairly p****d off.

Thanks for replying.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 am

FretBuzz wrote:Hi and yes I guess everybody has their own opinions. I really have tried with BFD2, I invested quite a bit of money and time, but nothing ever seems simple, like the cutting grooves thing - I did exactly what you said and everytime I got this dialog giving me no option but to add a new groove/palette or create one.

What exactly were you trying to do? Cutting a groove will remove it, and keep it in the clipboard. From there, you can right click another slot and choose paste. The dialog shows up, because when you perform a CUT operation on a groove, it will er... CUT it from the project. It'll be an empty slot after that, wont have any data inside it... hence the dialog options to load a groove or create a new one.

its just so annoying when simple things just dont work. Then the next day, for some reason, I click play to hear a groove - I get one drum beat and everything locks, the 'stop' button does nothing, I cant play anything else and I have to restart my DAW. This happened several times. There have been countless other little irritations that just made using it a trial rather than a pleasure. SD2, and I know from the forums some people have issues with it, works flawlessly for me so in the end I decided I just didn't want to carry on fighting BFD2.

That sounds like a bug in the Audio I/O Setup menus, but I don't know for sure. It's not a problem that happens all the time, otherwise we'd have fixed it. Seems system specific to me.

Ultimately if you've no longer got the BFD2 stuff, then at least you've got some drums that you're happy with. If you still have BFD2 though, I'll be glad to walk you through some things and give you all the help you need to get it setup properly. It's worth noting that this is the BFD1 forum, not the BFD2 forum - you should post any BFD2 related questions in the BFD2 forum, and more people will see them.

FretBuzz

Postby FretBuzz » Tue May 10, 2011 6:40 pm

You know I honestly thought I had clicked on the BDF2 forum, I didn't notice I hadn't, sorry.

OK - heres what I was trying to do. I was building up a palette of different grooves, I then put one in by mistake and thought I would remove it. So, the normal windows thing would be right-click, select remove, finished. Only there is no remove just 'cut' so, yes I guess it ends up on the clipboard, but why cant I just leave the slot empty, its what I wanted, instead I go through circles with the dialog. I am sure that I cannot be the only person who just wanted to remove a groove from a palette. Even if you use cut, I dont know anyother program where it immediatley tells you to 'fill the space' without any choice - the whole point of the clipboard is thats its(the thing you cut) there when you need to retrieve it.

Regarding the other problem I mentioned (its not the only thing, it just so happened it started doing it the next day) - I have no audio linked problems with any other piece of software I use, to be honest I dont for a minute think it is any thing to do with the Audio setup.

Anyway, I know you guys like BFD2, and I respect that, but my time is limited and I find that SD2 works fine and is far easier to use (in my opinion). TBH I only ever bought it as I got a fairly good deal with a new DAW I had built and thought I would give it a go.

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Fri May 13, 2011 10:03 am

FretBuzz wrote:Anyway, I know you guys like BFD2, and I respect that, .

I'd say that was fairly safe bet. If we didn't like BFD2 we wouldn't have released it.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

FretBuzz

Postby FretBuzz » Fri May 13, 2011 11:13 am

rob_fx wrote:
FretBuzz wrote:Anyway, I know you guys like BFD2, and I respect that, .

I'd say that was fairly safe bet. If we didn't like BFD2 we wouldn't have released it.

a) I didn't know that the guy I was directly responding to 'actually released it' - infact I was really referring to all the people on the forum who obviously enjoy using BFD2. (I guess they didn't all release it).

b) If you personally were involved in 'releasing it' and as you have a signature along the lines of 'quality since 2005', why dont you answer my critisiscm about being unable to remove a groove from a palette without the hassle instead of making stupid comments. If there is a way of doing it, that I have missed, then I am quite prepared to apologise and eat humble-pie, or what ever the saying is.

c) If what I have been saying is in fact the case and you cannot simply just remove a groove from a palette in a straightforward manner, then I would suggest that a better response from somebody who appears to be involved with the company would be along the lines of 'OK thanks, perhaps that is an issue so we will look into it'.

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm

FretBuzz wrote:
a) I didn't know that the guy I was directly responding to 'actually released it' - infact I was really referring to all the people on the forum who obviously enjoy using BFD2. (I guess they didn't all release it).

On these forums everyone with _FX in their name is an employee of FXpansion. Since we are only handful of people there is no dedicated moderator team, so everyone from Angus_FX (CEO) to Sam_FX (intern) pitches in to answer as many questions as we have time for. We all have families, holidays and periods of sickness, so be aware that the person you were speaking to one day may not be available to comment on the next, but since we are spread across 4 timezones there's every chance that someone else will be able to pick-up the slack on their colleague's behalf.

FretBuzz wrote:
b) If you personally were involved in 'releasing it' and as you have a signature along the lines of 'quality since 2005', why dont you answer my critisiscm about being unable to remove a groove from a palette without the hassle instead of making stupid comments. If there is a way of doing it, that I have missed, then I am quite prepared to apologise and eat humble-pie, or what ever the saying is.

You remove a groove from the palette by right-clicking on it and selecting "Cut" from the context menu. This also places the groove in BFD2's internal clipboard although nothing gets copied to OS clipboard. Since the operation is equivalent to delete-with-undo-enabled, we did not feel that adding a redundant entry to the context menu added any value. Of the 21564 registered users and four years that BFD2 has been in the wild, you are the first person to have trouble understanding this feature. Therefore by process of statistical analysis, I regard your criticism over the intuitiveness of this operation as anomalous.

FretBuzz wrote:
c) If what I have been saying is in fact the case and you cannot simply just remove a groove from a palette in a straightforward manner, then I would suggest that a better response from somebody who appears to be involved with the company would be along the lines of 'OK thanks, perhaps that is an issue so we will look into it'.

OK thanks for your feedback. We stand by our design, and since BFD2 is at the end of its life-cycle it is extremely unlikely that we'll revisit this functionality until the next version of BFD is in alpha. Since safe, consistent keyboard operations are impossible to guarantee across all hosts, we will most likely stick to mouse and MIDI operations where we can. The palette is due to be overhauled anyway, but if it still makes sense I will pitch for an additional trashcan button somewhere nearby.

I trust this addresses your query.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

RiveraMan

Postby RiveraMan » Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 am

rob_fx wrote:
The palette is due to be overhauled anyway, but if it still makes sense I will pitch for an additional trashcan button somewhere nearby.

O dear Rob,
Now you made at least one of those 21564 registered users EXTREMELY curious :wink:

RiveraMan

Return to “BFD”