Forum

FXpansion Forum

Solved: Strobe2 MPE with Lightpad BLOCK

User and tech support for Strobe2.

Moderator: Moderators

tele

Solved: Strobe2 MPE with Lightpad BLOCK

Postby tele » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

First of all - Hello agin to everyone. Must have been like 10 years ago, that I posted something in the fxpansion forum.
I am a user of ROLI Blocks and I have been a fxpansion user for many years. b.t.w. I made 2nd place in an fxpansion songwriter contest some years ago, with a song featuring a beat from GURU.
As I did not find a specific ROLI forum, I thought it would be OK to ask a question about the Lightpad Block over here, since Strobe is also MPE compatible.

Currently I am using 2 ROLI Lightpad Blocks, I am planning to use at least 1 more, if I can get my question resolved.
One 1st generation Lightpad and one Lightpad Block M.
On my Mac, using the Blocks Dashboard, I tried to set it up in a certain way and I just can't figure out, how to do it.

I would like to do the following:
Lightpad on the left side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with C on the lower left.
-> C - D - E in the lower row
Lightpad on the right side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with F on the lower left.
F - G - A in the lower row

One Block was connected by USB-cable, the second one was connected to the first one.
This way I would like to play 1 sound patch in Strobe or any of my other MPE-compatible plugins, having an extended range on the right side compared to just using 1 Block.
For me, this would somehow be similar to a guitar layout, which also has more than 5 frets, as a Lightpad has it - well, if you wanna look at it this way :-)
But I wasn't able to give both Blocks different settings as desired.
The manual on the ROLI website doesn't offer me detailed information about this aspect, at least I was not able to find it.
Would be great if you could help me to get this setup going.
Last edited by tele on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
new song "Like A Bird" up at
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs
NEWS:
I made number 2 in the fxpansion song writer contest!!!
www.fxpansion.com

Lawrence_fx

Re: Strobe2 MPE with Lightpad BLOCK

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:35 pm

tele wrote:First of all - Hello agin to everyone. Must have been like 10 years ago, that I posted something in the fxpansion forum.
I am a user of ROLI Blocks and I have been a fxpansion user for many years. b.t.w. I made 2nd place in an fxpansion songwriter contest some years ago, with a song featuring a beat from GURU.
As I did not find a specific ROLI forum, I thought it would be OK to ask a question about the Lightpad Block over here, since Strobe is also MPE compatible.

Currently I am using 2 ROLI Lightpad Blocks, I am planning to use at least 1 more, if I can get my question resolved.
On my Mac, using the Blocks Dashboard, I tried to set it up in a certain way and I just can't figure out, how to do it.

Lightpad on the left side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with C on the lower left.
Lightpad on the right side: Melodic Mode 5x5 grid in C Major. Notes starting with F on the lower left.

One Block was connected by USB-cable, the second one was connected to the first one.
This way I would like to play 1 sound patch in Strobe or any of my other MPE-compatible plugins, having an extended range on the right side compared to just using 1 Block.
For me, this would somehow be similar to a guitar layout, which also has more than 5 frets, as a Lightpad has it - well, if you wanna look at it this way :-)
The manual on the ROLI website doesn't offer me detailed information about this aspect, at least I was not able to find it.

Hey,

So long as the two Lightpad Blocks are both running the same app (Note Grid), they should automatically display the note arrangement you describe, so essentially from the bottom left along the bottom row the notes should be C, D, E, F, G, A (as C Major is the default key of the Note Grid app). The following row will be F, G, A, B, C, D - giving a 'fret' style layout for the rest of the notes.

If you find this isn't the case or that you're experiencing any issues, you can get in touch with the ROLI support team here: https://support.roli.com/request/

tele

Postby tele » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for that info. Now that I know this, I will check again. Seems likely that I have done something wrong. I will let you know how it went for me. In either case positive or negative.

NEWS:

www.fxpansion.com

tele

Postby tele » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:
tele wrote:First of all - Hello agin to everyone. Must have been like 10 years ago, that I posted something in the fxpansion forum.

Hey,

So long as the two Lightpad Blocks are both running the same app (Note Grid), they should automatically display the note arrangement you describe, so essentially from the bottom left along the bottom row the notes should be C, D, E, F, G, A (as C Major is the default key of the Note Grid app). The following row will be F, G, A, B, C, D - giving a 'fret' style layout for the rest of the notes.

If you find this isn't the case or that you're experiencing any issues, you can get in touch with the ROLI support team here: https://support.roli.com/request/

I tried another time. As far as I can tell, I did what you are saying. But the Blocks don't react as suggested.
Interesting point: When I attach them vertically, the scale continues in a correct way and the total range with 2 Blocks together is about 4 octaves. So, the lower Block goes from C1 to C3 and the upper Block starts at C#3.

Attaching them horizontically gave at least 2 different outcomes, both not correct.This seemed to depend on which Block was on the left and which one on the right.
In one combination I came "close" to what I am looking for. The lowest row was F, G, A, but the next row did not fit to the C-Major scale anymore.

NEWS:

www.fxpansion.com

tele

Postby tele » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 am

Now, I understood, that this will work only when Note Grid is selected in the ROLI Dashboard. I got it working now.
I assumed this would also work when loading "Melodic Block" and it doesn't work when this one is loaded.
Since both choices are resulting in a 5x5 grid, I assumed they'd both be able to do what I wanted.

NEWS:

www.fxpansion.com

Return to “Strobe2”