Nice job with the Multi Dimensional Control. - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Nice job with the Multi Dimensional Control.

User and tech support for Strobe2.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew Capon

Nice job with the Multi Dimensional Control.

Postby Andrew Capon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for adding this, after 10 minutes with the demo and my Linnstrument I had to get the upgrade.

Very nice
Cheers

Andy

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Glad you're enjoying it!
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Andrew Capon

Postby Andrew Capon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:51 pm

After a bit more playing today:

Any chance of getting the pitchbend automatically mapped via BENDUP and BENDDOWN in MDC mode?

And a bit more tricky probably:

How enough MORPH in MDC mode, this would be very neat.
Cheers

Andy

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Any chance of getting the pitchbend automatically mapped via BENDUP and BENDDOWN in MDC mode?

Not quite, but I do plan to automate the mapping so that you don't have to dial it in yourself. It'll probably be auto-assigned to the first free mod slot.

And a bit more tricky probably:
How enough MORPH in MDC mode, this would be very neat.

A bit more tricky. Know what you mean, it'd make some amazing sounds, but the engine as-is can't do that. For the time being anyway.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Andrew Capon

Postby Andrew Capon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Automating the PB would be good.

I guessed the second one may not be so easy!
Cheers

Andy

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Yes, thanks for adding the Multi MIDI Channel mode! I'm excited to try it out with my Roli Rise when it arrives.
(Really excited to have this in Cypher soon as well).

thetechnobear

Postby thetechnobear » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 pm

really enjoying the multi channel midi mode, been using with both my eigenharp and soundplane :)

just two things I've noticed...

a) Pitchbend locking
so the current approach is to map perfX to pitch and adjust, which works nicely
except if you switch between presets there is no way to lock it, if you attempt to lock pitch this does not work since, the mod panel is not locked, so it looses PerfX and goes into an odd state.
( easier to try, than to explain :) )
Id really like to be able to lock in PerfX/Y and Perf2 as I move between presets.

(ok, not a huge issue as in time I will build my own presets)

b) Euclide
ok, so PerfX is mapped to BaseX, this is actually quite cool... (perhaps be nice if it was optional like curv1/2 but its fine : )
BUT... the issue is PB is taken as bipolar, but Euclid is expecting it as unipolar. i.e. all -ve PB ends up being zero.
could you when in MDC mode, either make BaseX bipolar OR offset the pitchbend such that we can can move X in both directions when which pitchbend positive or negative. (i.e. assume 0 pitchbend is mid point of range)

also a question, is Perf2 using a linear mapping?
I usually map it to VCA volume i.e. so pressure controller volume, and it appears to be a little 'slow' i.e. I do this on other synths and i get a pretty snappy response, but in Strobe 2 its feels a bit slower... not sure if this some kind of curve being applied to the incoming midi data, or the VCA response to modulation being slower/non linear?
I can improve it by using Curv1 but that then takes a curve away for other uses :)

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 am

Technobear - do you need to map it to a custom range, or is +- 1 octave all you use?

(Note to self - being able to lock a mod slot and all its depths would be a rather handy feature to have).

What are you mapping Perf2 to? IIRC, the first amp stage is linear in level response, but nonlinear in terms of saturation response (i.e. it's a circuit modeled VCA), the second amp stage is log in level response, but linear in tonal response (no nonlinearities til you hit its clipping range).

The performance controllers are slew limited - we did this originally to preserve a smooth-sounding response when using cheap MIDI controllers & DAWs which may thin the CC data stream. Could potentially turn that off or at least dial it back a bit for controllers capable of sending a high quality response, although getting good results would require a controller capable of sending high-resolution (14-bit) MIDI.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

umfufu

Postby umfufu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:34 pm

I just received a Roli Rise keyboard and have been trying to figure out the mappings so I'm glad for this discussion! Thanks and carry on guys ;)

thetechnobear

Postby thetechnobear » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Angus_FX wrote:Technobear - do you need to map it to a custom range, or is +- 1 octave all you use?

(Note to self - being able to lock a mod slot and all its depths would be a rather handy feature to have).

I usually use +/- 48 semitones. its really the range of the controller you use in a single slide.
48 is good for all of these controllers (and is the default for MPE) except the full size continuum (96 'keys') and Id guess the 88 key roli seaboard ... (Roli Rise/ 61 key grand /half size continuum would all be fine)

What are you mapping Perf2 to? IIRC, the first amp stage is linear in level response, but nonlinear in terms of saturation response (i.e. it's a circuit modeled VCA), the second amp stage is log in level response, but linear in tonal response (no nonlinearities til you hit its clipping range).

Ive been using VCA amp. so first stage.
(I just tried VCA volume , so second stage , and that seem to be not quite as good...)

just to note: what Im trying to do is control the overall 'volume' of the voice, so that the voices volume 'envelope' is directly controller by pressure, so this seemed the best place.. but id welcome other suggestions.
I also set the AMP env to 0/0/100/0... ok, i know it really is 2.5/2.5/100/0 .. but best i can do :)
(in modular envs, i don't use amp env, i plug the pressure directly into VCA gain)

The performance controllers are slew limited - we did this originally to preserve a smooth-sounding response when using cheap MIDI controllers & DAWs which may thin the CC data stream. Could potentially turn that off or at least dial it back a bit for controllers capable of sending a high quality response, although getting good results would require a controller capable of sending high-resolution (14-bit) MIDI.

interesting... perhaps could be the thinning of the data stream.... depending on the strategy you use
(id assume most VSTs use smoothing, as with 7 bit midi it would otherwise be very steppy ... and Ive not seen before)
I wonder if the 'issue' is related to the fact we can send 250-500hz midi events, this is most important during the initial note-on/attack phase, as its here (if you are controlling the volume envelope with pressure directly, as i am) that you can really feel it if your going for a fast attack.
(its not really going to be 500 msg/second as we do thin out duplicate values so with 7bits thats quite alot... but it does mean during the attack phase you will probably see 0-127 in very quick succession)

I can do 14 bit midi, though I think you'll find only a few controllers capable of it..
I think chicken and egg... many don't support it, as few VSTs/hardware synths support it.. I guess we are all waiting on midi HD.
so I wonder if fine tuning the slewing is perhaps the better/easier option?

Thanks
Mark

Return to “Strobe2”