Opinions on Andy Johns and Evil drums anyone? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Opinions on Andy Johns and Evil drums anyone?

Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

anabkemeir

Opinions on Andy Johns and Evil drums anyone?

Postby anabkemeir » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 am

I'm looking into getting Andy Johns or Evil drums, just can't decide which. I listened to the demos quite a few times, yet still undecided. Your thoughts anyone? BTW, I do have XFL, Jazz and Funk, Heavy, Maple and Oak custom, Neil Peart and Rod Morgenstein packs. Quite a few expansions already, not sure if they would be overlapping what I already have.
Thanks for your thoughts......

arve@themill.dk

Postby arve@themill.dk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm

i have them both....I prefer the tape sound of Barresis Evil Drums.
Just fantastic sounding drums, not much tweaking needed at all. Versatile as well, not always so bloody evil.
AJ is crisper and more "digital" (In lack of a better word). Both are very good.

greg.montano@gmail.com

Postby greg.montano@gmail.com » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:05 pm

I, like many, have and love both but give the slight edge to Evil Drums. The Platinum Samples stuff IMHO are the best BFD2 options out there. They all sound top notch.

james_m

Postby james_m » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 am

I too have them both, and can echo the comments above. Evil Drums is by far my favourite of the BFD expansions.

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Check out Dave Grohl's new documentary on Sound City Studios where we tracked the Andy Johns kits and Kits 4, 5 & 6 of the Evil Drums library. Shivaun O'Brien, my partner, was the studio manager of the studio for 19 years.

http://buy.soundcitymovie.com

Rail

arve@themill.dk

Postby arve@themill.dk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Great stuff! I understand now that the room is a bigger factor than most people seems to realize for the sound of the drums.
Your products are hands down the most detailed (256 layers) and musical out there, Rail!
Any plans for more (superdetailed/microtiming) midi-grooves?
My Nuendo got a max midi resolution of 1000 PPQ (points per quarter note?), but I'd wish the resolution was even higher for the feel of the drums.
I already got the Country package, gets used a lot - even with the Evil Drums ; )
The Andy Johns works really well with tape emulations, though. but if I use the Barresi ones I can save the processing power used for tape emulation. (It sounds like a lot of effort was invested to assure the tape was hit EXCACTLY right for the Evil Drums!)

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 am

The BFD2 Groove editor is 32,000 (or something close) PPQ... we have more coming...

Thanks!

Rail

arve@themill.dk

Postby arve@themill.dk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 am

Wow! 32000 PPQ ! Now we're talking. I didn't know that.
So that's why the groooves I bought from you sound better when played from within the BFD interface than when imported into Nuendo.
I think I should use the BFD a lot more than i do for detailed grooves. Thanx again. Learned something new :D

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 am

Just looked up the thread about the Groove engine PPQ:

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70906

Rail

arve@themill.dk

Postby arve@themill.dk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 am

rob_fx (ex-FX) wrote:The conversion is necessary because our groove engine is optimized to run with 32-bit floating point resolution at effectively 1 million PPQ (unlike those MIDI files that will be 7-bit fixed-point resolution at 480 PPQ). It's worth it for the finesse you achieve with groove swing and humanization.

-Rob.

1 MILLION PPQ! Wow. sampling rate of 44.1khz is not even close then? It's got better resolution than AUDIO!
(Or am I wrong in my assumption?)
I guess the only factor clogging the process would be the midi drumkit then....or the drummer :wink:
Last edited by arve@themill.dk on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

pimenta

Postby pimenta » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 am

I prefer the Andy Johns for the Paiste Rude cymbals and the Lud snares and that DW Black Mardis... Wow !!

I have a question though ( maybe a silly one ) at the Evil Drums product page it states being the only expansion pack recorded to tape ... But at the tracking info. For Andy Johns it also states recorded through a Studer Tape machine ....?

Pim
Roland TD 30KV
Roland Studio Capture/Dell XPS I7 16GB RAM
Reaper
Superior 2/EzDrummmer
BFD3/SSD4/Native Instruments Abbey Road/Studio Drummer/Addictive Drums 2

Platinum Samples

Postby Platinum Samples » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 am

pimenta wrote:I prefer the Andy Johns for the Paiste Rude cymbals and the Lud snares and that DW Black Mardis... Wow !!

I have a question though ( maybe a silly one ) at the Evil Drums product page it states being the only expansion pack recorded to tape ... But at the tracking info. For Andy Johns it also states recorded through a Studer Tape machine ....?

Pim

The Andy Johns library was recorded through the electronics of the Studer.. Initially we planned to record to tape, but the tape batch was bad.. so rather than scrap the tracking date we went ahead just using the signal chain of the Studer but not printing to tape as we did with Joe's library.

Thanks,

Rail

pimenta

Postby pimenta » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks Rail ! I watched Sound City like 10 times already. So nice seeing Barresi and Jim Scott ... Just a silly proud feeling of having here with me work of those great guys and get that sound !

Pim
Roland TD 30KV

Roland Studio Capture/Dell XPS I7 16GB RAM

Reaper

Superior 2/EzDrummmer

BFD3/SSD4/Native Instruments Abbey Road/Studio Drummer/Addictive Drums 2

Return to “BFD Expansion Packs & Convertors”