BFD3 Giving Problems with a few Xpansions - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 Giving Problems with a few Xpansions

Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Infa

BFD3 Giving Problems with a few Xpansions

Postby Infa » Sat May 14, 2016 10:00 am

Hello, I have just purchased BFD3 and a lot of Xpansions. I am installing them correctly, and even doing the different folder thing for each one as it suggests. It passes the Path thing and it is authorized. All seems well.

The odd thing is, on a few of the xpansions a couple of the kits/presets won't load. It gives me a little yellow symbol next to each drum sound.
Now some of the kits in the same xpansion work. So this points to it sees the path and all is well. Also, if it is a folder thing, how come some of the other xpansions are working fine using the same method ?

So what is going on here ? I spent a lot of good money on this set up and I had to stop installing them until I figure this out. Sorry, but a little upset. Can anyone please help ? I will attach a few screenshots so you can see the issue and my folder hierarchy and the fact that they are authorized and also correctly "pathed". I am using a Thunderbolt 1Tb SSD as the content drive for all the xpansions. This system is fast. Its not the drive or system.

Thanks for any help -

System:
Mac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
16Gb Ram
Quad 2.6Ghz i7 Processor
All SSD's. Content drive is a separate 1Tb SSD Thunderbolt.
BFD3 (updated to latest version)
Lots of Xpansions (latest versions)
Instal method for all: Full, BFD3 only. Each Xpansion in their own folder on the content drive.

1.jpg
1.jpg (159.93 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (211.23 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (335.07 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

Infa

Re: BFD3 Giving Problems with a few Xpansions

Postby Infa » Sat May 14, 2016 10:01 am

4.jpg
4.jpg (160.03 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

jord

Postby jord » Sat May 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Try running the content scan again.

Can you audition the individual kit pieces.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Infa

Postby Infa » Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 pm

jord wrote:Try running the content scan again.

Can you audition the individual kit pieces.

jord

Hey Jord, thanks for chiming in to try to help. Sorry I forgot to mention this as well, but I have tried re-scanning the content. Same thing still happens. But maybe there is a "best" way to re-scan ? Since there seems to be different ways to skin that cat. What I did was just check the ones giving me problems and click "re-scan content" or something like that.

I am wondering if it would be best to completely delete all paths and start over ?

And no I can not audition the individual pieces either, as the sound simple is not there :? (I believe thats what the little yellow triangle symbol means?) Now I can audition individual pieces to kits and sounds that do load and that do not give me a little yellow triangle symbol.

Maybe my folder hierarchy could be better ? IDK ?

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. I always download serious stuff like this via a wired Ethernet connect. I did not do it wireless.

jord

Postby jord » Sat May 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Post a screen shot of the disk path hierarchy of one of the problem presets... chances are it will provide a clue to the others.

As well, what are the extensions of the audio files? If they are not bfdlac for the BFD3 expansions, then they were not installed properly.

jord

Infa

Postby Infa » Sat May 14, 2016 8:59 pm

jord wrote:Post a screen shot of the disk path hierarchy of one of the problem presets... chances are it will provide a clue to the others.

As well, what are the extensions of the audio files? If they are not bfdlac for the BFD3 expansions, then they were not installed properly.

jord

Jord, good idea. I think I (or really you) might have figured it out, but do not know what the fix will be or why these xpansion installers can't do their job right. This is costing major time.

Anyway, see screenshots. First I checked to make sure all audio files are .bfdlac like you said. They are. Also in that screenshot proving that you can see my entire folder hierarchy for the xpansions audio contents. I just took a shot of one of the xpansions with the issue, but I did check them all. As many as I could look over in a reasonable amount of time were all .bfdlac extensions.

Audio Files.jpg
Audio Files.jpg (613.12 KiB) Viewed 7046 times
Last edited by Infa on Sat May 14, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infa

Postby Infa » Sat May 14, 2016 9:06 pm

But here is the real problem. As you suggested, I went to look into the presets and kits. See attached screenshots of both. I also showed the entire hierarchy of them as well.

Now, do you see the ones that have a little black icon ? Well those are all the presets and kits that work.

Do you see the ones that look blank white like a piece of paper icon ? Well those are all the exact ones that do not work !

So this is for sure the problem. But I want to know why would it get installed like this ? Cause I got 20 more Xpansions to instal and I can't let this keep happening. And how do I fix this ? This is why I stopped installing the Xpansions. Cause if the fix involves something serious, then I don't want to have to do this to all the rest too.

I sure hope this is easy fix.

Presets.jpg
Presets.jpg (707.78 KiB) Viewed 7046 times

Kits.jpg
Kits.jpg (710.78 KiB) Viewed 7046 times

jord

Postby jord » Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm

The white icons indicate some sort of Mac OS issue. That could indicate some permissions based issue or perhaps your file system is pooched somewhere.

As you said the problem expansions do have the bfdlac extensions, I'll ask how did you audition the kit pieces? Did you do it from the drum panel in BFD or the preset? If you tried from the preset, try a new blank preset and see if you can audition the kit pieces from there.

The only way I can see the drum kit itself not showing up is if the XML for the kit piece or database is corrupt.However, if they are showing up in a blank preset, then the preset is pooched (as indicated from your screenshots).

jord

Infa

Postby Infa » Sun May 15, 2016 11:03 pm

jord wrote:The white icons indicate some sort of Mac OS issue. That could indicate some permissions based issue or perhaps your file system is pooched somewhere.

As you said the problem expansions do have the bfdlac extensions, I'll ask how did you audition the kit pieces? Did you do it from the drum panel in BFD or the preset? If you tried from the preset, try a new blank preset and see if you can audition the kit pieces from there.

The only way I can see the drum kit itself not showing up is if the XML for the kit piece or database is corrupt.However, if they are showing up in a blank preset, then the preset is pooched (as indicated from your screenshots).

jord

Well this is the first time anything like this has ever happened. And I installed and use several huge GB content type PlugIns like BFD. Seriously doubt it is Mac OS issue more than a fxpansion issue that can't seem to code seamlessly for Mac OS. As imo while installing, there were several things that tipped me off as to fxpansion don't quite have everything 100% down yet. But this is a whole other subject - LOL. I got thousands dollars worth of their products here, and I just want to be able to use them properly and flawlessly.

First off, I appreciate your help and time your taking to even talk to me about this.

Ok, so next is, I have never auditioned the sounds with problems, because they don't show up. At least they don't show up where I am looking at them for. I am totally new to this BFD3, and have no clue how to operate it properly. So maybe if you could give me a step by step walkthrough of what you want me to try to audition and how I get to it, I will. Only if you have time. For now I will try to see if I can accomplish what you asked.

I did try "kit" and "preset" tabs, but since both my kit and preset files have not executed themselves properly, then the audition doesn't work in either. But how do I manually load individual sounds ? And bigger question, how do I know what sound is from what kit/xpansion ?

I am thinking there has to be a easier way to fix all this. Like these preset and kit files are tiny. Hopefully fxpansion tech team can just simply send me all my purchased xpansion presets and kit files "unpooched" and already to go and then I just swap them out for all mine ?

Infa

Postby Infa » Sun May 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Hey, check out this screenshot. Hopefully it helps and is what you asked. So I go into the drum browser to manually look for individual sounds from each kit. You know from the other screenshots what xpansions I have installed so far. But to save you the investigation time, notice from the older screenshots I have London Sessions, Horsepower and Modern Retro (among others). But these 3 are the main ones giving me problems. (at least from what I can initially tell now, others may too).

Well notice on this new screenshot of me trying to find individual sounds. Should I not see some London Sessions, Horsepower and Modern Retro sounds here ? But I do not. Or am I looking in wrong place ?

Drum Broswer.jpg
Drum Broswer.jpg (338.67 KiB) Viewed 7038 times

Infa

Re: UPDATE

Postby Infa » Fri May 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to give a update to this thread so it helps anyone else down the line in the same issue.

Ok, so I got in contact with Drew from the Fxpansion tech team. He was extremely helpful and in a matter of seconds solved the problem.
What it was, and how I hope this helps someone else in the future is, oddly, it had nothing to do with them white icons not being black like the working ones. That was just a ironic coincidence that all the non-working ones were also white.

Apparently (at least on Mac) when BFD tells you you're all good to go and its authorized and found the content path, etc.. its not done, you need to click the "Rescan ALL Content Paths" button for a final time after all is good to go. Don't know why, but you do.

Now I told Jord I did that, but I was clicking "Rescan Selected Paths". This is not good enough. Let me explain, as someone else will reason the way I did I am sure, so lets clear it up - and the reasoning was, if this was installed and found by BFD to even acknowledge the content, tell me its there, authorize it, etc.. all after I made it manually find it or it did it automatically, then in my mind, the path is set. So I didn't think to rescan "ALL" is a good idea. But to rescan the "paths" created was.

Well, this is wrong reasoning. Haha. So I just want to help anyone else that thinks that. The simple answer is, after everything is set up, after authorization, after the path was created and BFD tells you its ready to go and all is well, you do one last "Rescan All Content Paths" and then it is really ready to go.

I want to thank Drew for coming to the rescue and solving the problem. There was also a issue where a BFD2 folder needed to be created and put somewhere. I sure wish the instals and process could be explained a little better and more fool proof methods where available, cause it is indeed a odd set up. Just my 2 cents.

mhschmieder

Postby mhschmieder » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:36 am

I had the same thing happen tonight with XFL and Deluxe, but not with London Sessions.

As I've had so many problems with expansions over the years, and each time it's something new/different, it can be very frustrating.

This posting helped remind me of earlier problems and how they were resolved, but I had the additional problem of XFL and Deluxe not asking for licenses and thus not showing up in the list at all. And there is no longer a way to force a license authorization directly (for years now).

I then remembered that some packs require that they are at the top-most level of the directory structure of the hard disc they are being installed to. No idea why, but that's how it is.

So I moved them out of the BFD directory, where all expansions are in their own directories, used the content scanner (which takes quite a long time, up to 20-30 minutes, so I don't like running it back-to-back as it blocks project work) to "Search folder..." and added the folders so that it would kick in the license manager request, at which point I could then move the directories back to the BFD folder.

It's always strange as it's counter-intuitive so I never remember, but checking the check boxes does NOT constitute "selecting" a content path; only a mouse highlight does that.

I figured I had nothing to lose by clicking the "delete path" button for the temporary top-level paths, as at worst it would do nothing, but it removed the paths that I had discarded just by my highlighting that row in the table. Though it's a rather muted highlight so also not intuitive.

I ran into other problems too, but due to how long scanning takes when you own most if not all products, it's awfully hard to keep so many multiple trains of thought intact for purposes of documenting things here, when so much user feedback is being requested by things running on the screen, and also the mystery of hidden/blocked windows that don't show up even when you move stuff out of the way, until restarting (the license manager, when requested a second time in the same session -- this used to be way more reliable a few years ago).

I guess this software is pretty long in the tooth now. Back around the time of BFD2 and the new license manager, I was holding up fxpansion to my own company (I work in the audio business) and others, as an example of "how to do it right". As things have degraded since then, I no longer do that.

I think the problem is just that there's so much product and the organization scheme keeps changing, so it's hard to come up with something that can work consistently across-the-board.
MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2.8 GHz, 16 GB), OSX 10.9.3, MOTU DP 8.06, iZotope RX 3.0.1
FireFace UFX, OctoPre Mk II, True Precision 8, AEA RPQ, Radial PZ-DI & Reamp JCR

Bob456

Postby Bob456 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I have the same problem.

I have BFD3, all expension and BFD2 but just BFD3 is recognize...

But I did the "rescan all" and it doesn't work...
The folder have to be in a specific order ?

David Polich

Postby David Polich » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Please see my post "BFD Eco does not see Andy Johns kits or kit pieces". It touches on this same basic issue - installation of fxPansion products is a cryptic affair at best, and the FAQ's on the website are NO HELP.

Can I ask you this...did you install all packs to the TOP (ROOT) LEVEL of your dedicated drive? Or did you create a new folder for each library BEFORE installing to that?

This is still a huge mystery - WHERE EXACTLY to direct the installer. I believe it has to be to the root or top level of the drive. But I may be wrong on that still.

Return to “BFD Expansion Packs & Convertors”