That's true purtington. It's always prudent to check exactly what is included. Some expansions might just contain drums and that's it.
I have made progress. I was able to get all my expansion packs working except Japanese Taiko. Here is what I have working: Imperial, Jex, Kabuki, Oblivion, Sleishman drums and snares, Swan, YOK, Percussion. Yes I even got Percussion to to work. Here is what I did. Some of these steps may not be necessary but I wanted to do everything I could to get these to work:
1. completely uninstall BFD3 including /Library/Application Support/FXplansion/BFD3 and BFD2 (on a mac). I kept the user BFD3 folder in Documents. I also completely deleted all expansions.
2. Install BFD3. Did not run it.
3. Create a folder for the expansions BFD Data. Create a folder in BFD Data for each expansion pack (eg. BFD JTP, BFD Oblivion etc).
4. Painstakingly installed all the expansions in their respective folders. I also have some 3rd party expansions but these were not giving me problems. Only the BFD expansions were problematic (well, except for Neil Peart Drums which didnt appear to come with Presets and Kits which I got elsewhere).
5. When I did the installs, where I was given a choice between BFD2 or BFD3, I choose BFD3. Many of the expansions however only have kits and presets for BFD2 and for whatever reasons these do not get installed and this is why they dont show up.
6. For those expansions that have an Installer folder along with the install app, in Installer/Payload/System if there is a BFD2 folder, I copied the Presets and Kits into the BFD2 Presets and Kits folders in /Library/Application Support/FXplansion/ manually. I also checked that the BFD3 Presets and Kits were installed.
7. Run BFD3. After the content scan. I deleted all the content paths and Searched Folder... in the BDF Data folder I created. Then, I clicked Load BDF2 paths. Then check your library. If it's still missing things, try clicking Load BFD2 paths again. Still missing? Try a complete re-scan and load BFD2 paths again. usually it takes a few Load BFD2 paths to get everything. This is known as Crappy Software®.
The key is to make sure all the files from the System install folder are in the respective BFD2 or BFD3 "system" folders. For whatever reason the installers don't install them or sometimes don't.
However... Even though Taiko is now installed and showing, when I select a Preset or Kit, it crashes BFD3. I can access the drums and make a kit from them but when i save and re-load the kit, it crashes.
I am wondering if you select to install for BFD2 instead of BFD3 if it will install the BFD2 files in the BFD2 folders so you don't have to do it manually. Maybe you have to run the installer twice each for BFD2 and BFD3?
I spent about 9 hours working on this. Total waste of time and now I am behind in my work. So I didn't try the above install idea. However I will try it with Taiko since its not working and see if this is what you have to do to avoid the manual process.
UPDATE: I just removed Taiko and reinstalled. First BFD3 only. It did not install any System files (presets, kits) etc either in the aforementioned BFD2 or BFD3 folders. I removed it all again, reinstalled with For all versions. Again, it did not install the System files.
I think FXPansions installers are broken. This is why people are not seeing these kits and presets. So, for installers with the Installer/Payload folder you will have to move the kits and presets manually. if they end in an extensions with bfd2 in it, put them in the BFD2 folders and then "load BFD2 paths".