Vintage Recording ORTF Mic distortion - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Vintage Recording ORTF Mic distortion

Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

scottfalconberry

Vintage Recording ORTF Mic distortion

Postby scottfalconberry » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi, Is that distortion that carries on for seconds normal?
If I load up the Blue Funky kit and hit say, the tom or snare, the ORTF mic give a nasty noise sound. If you click on Mute it stops but if you click on it to Unmute is is still there a full second and a half later. For me, it makes that microphone option unusable.
Tried reinstalling the entire package but it remains the same.
Is it me or the mics?

purtington

Re: Vintage Recording ORTF Mic distortion

Postby purtington » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am

scottfalconberry wrote:Hi, Is that distortion that carries on for seconds normal?
If I load up the Blue Funky kit and hit say, the tom or snare, the ORTF mic give a nasty noise sound. If you click on Mute it stops but if you click on it to Unmute is is still there a full second and a half later. For me, it makes that microphone option unusable.
Tried reinstalling the entire package but it remains the same.
Is it me or the mics?

You mean the Blue Funky preset and not kit but yes, if you look on the comp and master channel for that particular preset you'll see there are both drive and distortion effects loaded so you should turn them off or adjust their levels for that preset, assuming you intend using that preset.

If you load those toms on their own or in other presets you'll notice they're nice and clean.

Steve
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
intel i9 10th gen 900k 3.7GHz
32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
5000GB SSD PM981 M.2 PCIe (OS)
500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, i meant the preset.i will check out the distortion effects. Seems strange the the ORTF mics are so affected by that.
Much sppreciated....

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Checked it out more. There seems to be a problem with the ORTF mics. Take any preset and crank up the ORTF fader and hit say, a high tom. Watch the meters. You should see the right channel outputting a full 4 seconds longer than anything else. Not only does it last longer, it sounds like the mic cable has lost the ground wire. As if it recorded a unplugged guitar cord. This is with no effects . Try it with the one mic or the direct only presets and turn on thr ORTR channel.
I don't think this is normal. Of course this is exacerbated when thee channel is using distortion.

purtington

Postby purtington » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm

scottfalconberry wrote:Checked it out more. There seems to be a problem with the ORTF mics. Take any preset and crank up the ORTF fader and hit say, a high tom. Watch the meters. You should see the right channel outputting a full 4 seconds longer than anything else. Not only does it last longer, it sounds like the mic cable has lost the ground wire. As if it recorded a unplugged guitar cord. This is with no effects . Try it with the one mic or the direct only presets and turn on thr ORTR channel.
I don't think this is normal. Of course this is exacerbated when thee channel is using distortion.

Yes you're right, there is a definite hum in that channel and a very long sustain.
Not sure if it was intentional but I wouldn't have thought so.

Putting a gate on the ORTF will help

Steve

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for the verification. Yes, i did gate it, but i believe that distortion is always present just buried under the input.
Anyway, thanks for impersonating BFD3 support. You would think that fxpansion would be concerned, but i guess i am living in the past when support mattered to companies. I'm betting it will never be addressed..

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:22 am

As expected, no reply after 16 days since the first post. And this is in the official support forum!
One thing to say: Hello Superior Drummer 3!

purtington

Postby purtington » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

scottfalconberry wrote:As expected, no reply after 16 days since the first post. And this is in the official support forum!
One thing to say: Hello Superior Drummer 3!

This is NOT the official line of support, the forum is for user support by other users but fxpansion do check in and help but nowhere near as often as they used to.

The official support needs to be done on line through their support ticket so if you haven't done so already you should get that done asap.
I contacted them last week regarding another issue and I think it was the next day I heard back from them.

Here's the link

https://support.roli.com/support/tickets/new

Steve

Scan UK 3XS Audio System
ASUS Prime Intel Z390-A
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4
Windows 10

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks for the link.
Fxpansion specifically states this forum as support, in the general title " Fxpansion Product Support" and in this sub forum "BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors" so I believe I may be forgiven for believing that this is a company sponsored support mechanism........
At any rate, I will try the suggested link.

scottfalconberry

Postby scottfalconberry » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Well got a reply finally. Roli closed the ticket by mistake which delayed the response time. Here it is....
Hi Scott,

Thanks again for bearing with us.

Our team is looking into this issue further and we're hoping to find a resolution that can be implemented in the next content update.

I do apologise for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime and I'll do my best to help.

Kind regards,
So, they acknowledge the problem, but may/may not fix it.
Two additional problems ( mid tom response, reverse positioning in Glyn Johnn cinfiguration) have been noted but not addressed.
Since there has never been any update (still on 1.0.0 for over a year) i have to conclude that no fix will happen.
Sad to see such a produc go downhill, but this will be my last BFD3 purchase and i will likely not purchase any Roli products due to support concerns.

Return to “BFD Expansion Packs & Convertors”