Which BFD Version to Install Expansion Packs? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Which BFD Version to Install Expansion Packs?

Support for BFD Expansion Packs and Convertors

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Dom414

Which BFD Version to Install Expansion Packs?

Postby Dom414 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 pm

hi, Been doing some hard drive cleaning up and moving my BFD data on to a new drive.

As part of this I have a cymbal pack to install and it occurred to me I have expansions stored across the first 2 versions of BFD and I now have a third. For example:

BFD (Data folder): 8Bit, XFL and AFJ
BFD2 (Audio folder): Sig Snares, Heavy, Jazz, Oak, Stanton etc
BFD3:

So for the cymbal pack I'm looking to install which version should I install in?
And for that matter, should I even look at creating a new Expansion folder to put them in?

Maybe this doesn't matter not sure, but for tidyness at least it has me wondering.
Win 10, Cubase Pro 9.5, BFD 1-3, AFJ, XFL, 8-Bit, Jazz, Oak, Heavy, Sig Snares 1&2, Gen16 Z-pack, S-pack etc
Steinberg UR824, Tascam FW-1884, Line6 Pod X3 Pro.
PC: AMD Phenom II x4 955, 16GB RAM, C: SSD 256Gb, BFD SSD 1TB, HDD 2TB.

purtington

Re: Which BFD Version to Install Expansion Packs?

Postby purtington » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Dom414 wrote:hi, Been doing some hard drive cleaning up and moving my BFD data on to a new drive.

As part of this I have a cymbal pack to install and it occurred to me I have expansions stored across the first 2 versions of BFD and I now have a third. For example:

BFD (Data folder): 8Bit, XFL and AFJ
BFD2 (Audio folder): Sig Snares, Heavy, Jazz, Oak, Stanton etc
BFD3:

So for the cymbal pack I'm looking to install which version should I install in?
And for that matter, should I even look at creating a new Expansion folder to put them in?

Maybe this doesn't matter not sure, but for tidyness at least it has me wondering.

First rule of thumb, never have an expansion kit inside another.

Apart from that and for the sake of tidiness I would always recommend having a single master folder,
call it something like fxpansion drums or something, then put al those expansion kits inside that folder but making sure
they remain within their respective folder. Have posted an image below of my setup .

Apart from stanton what other cymbal packs do you have?

Steve
Attachments
FXpansion motherfolder.jpg
FXpansion motherfolder.jpg (229.89 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
https://soundcloud.com/steve-corr

GA-X58A-UD3R,
Intel i7 930, 2.8Ghz, Overclocked at 3.40Ghz
12GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
WD Caviar Black, 6Gb X 2
+ 500GB SSD drive for BFD Samples
focusrite scarlett 2i4
Windows 10 + windows 7 32bit

Dom414

Postby Dom414 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm

thanks.
I have Gen16 Z-Pack installed, however I never got round to installing S-Packs 1 & 2 (think this is called Digital Vault now?) so looking to install these.

I do recall with the first BFD, especially AFJ, specific instructions about putting in the Data folder for BFD1.
Then BFD2 came along and they go in the Audio folder.

8Bit, AFJ and XFL are easy to pick out as they are saved with these prefixes.
However they do have Kit and Groove files in the other folders. Not too worried about these as not had BFD1 installed for years.
Plus I don't really use Grooves, I write all my MIDI in the Cubase drum editor and create my own kits.

BFD2 is a bit more vague. The audio data is saved by manufacturer so it's a case of picking out the expansions.
e.g. Bosphorous Stanton Moore folder, plus a Bosphorous folder, presumably part of BFD2.

(I did start looking through fxpansion product pages for kit details, but the detail is a little random).

I could wipe and reinstall I suppose, however I've always avoided this for years as there is about 300Gb of it!

Think the best option is a folder structure like you suggested. And as I've started this clean up now might as well follow it through and reinstalling if needed.
Win 10, Cubase Pro 9.5, BFD 1-3, AFJ, XFL, 8-Bit, Jazz, Oak, Heavy, Sig Snares 1&2, Gen16 Z-pack, S-pack etc
Steinberg UR824, Tascam FW-1884, Line6 Pod X3 Pro.
PC: AMD Phenom II x4 955, 16GB RAM, C: SSD 256Gb, BFD SSD 1TB, HDD 2TB.

kafka

Postby kafka » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 pm

I have a partition called FXpansion that has nothing but BFD and a little Geist content. Below are my subdirectories. The BFD2 and BFD3 core sample libraries get their own directories. Grooves all end up under BFD3, or BFD2 for older legacy sets. Non-FXpansion sample sets are put into subdirectories for their manufacturer.

But really, as long as you keep a sample set structured as it is packaged from the top down, you can put it wherever you like. So, for instance, BFD Eldorado isn't strictly speaking the Eldorado set. It's the BFD1 library that I've migrated since I got BFD1. But since that content is now called Eldorado, I put it under BFD Eldorado.

BFD Deluxe
BFD Dunnett Ti
BFD Eldorado
BFD Heavy
BFD Horsepower
BFD Jazz and Funk
BFD John Emrich XDrums
BFD London
BFD Metal Snares
BFD Modern Retro
BFD Oblivion
BFD Orchestral