This has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but here we are again trying to install a Bfd Expansion pack. This time its Oblivion.
Bought in the sale which explains why its probably not working! lol
However, Here's the Tech Part:
Imac 2017. Running Mojave.
Using a Samsung SSD T5 External drive for all other BFD Expansion packs that I use (that work).
Ive followed the online installation instructions as usual.
I only use Bfd 3 so I only opted for the Bfd3 install. ( I have tried both installs including the xtra data for Bfd2 etc to see if that would make any difference). Sadly not.
So here's where im at. The Data for Oblivion has loaded successfully into the SSD drive and shows as 12gb of data in the folder. When I open BFD 3 it says I have new software and when I search oblivion all the kit presets are shown. However when you click to load, yellow triangles appear to show there is no data for the kit pieces.
So in license manager 2 it reads "software not installed correctly please re-install" which is ridiculous as I have no power over this part of the process so how can it be installed incorrectly??? So ive tried many times to re-install but to no avail. the same message appears each time.
So then you dig a bit deeper and find this glorious piece of technical help from Fxpansion.
If you are experiencing difficulties installing the software please reboot your computer and DE-AUTHORISE the Oblivion pack.
So guess what.... I did so and after de-authorising the software it no longer shows in the license manager. This makes the second part of the useless advice even more ridiculous. it reads "log back into the license manager and now you can authorise the product".
How it that possible since I have just de-authorised it, and now the license manager no longer recognises that Oblivion has been installed??
The only way that the license manager knows that Oblivion has been installed is to reinstall the first Dmg file again which starts the whole ridiculous process all over again!
If any one has been through this process please help me to solve it as I have tried contacting technical support.......and guess what.... they send lovely email instructions outlining that I should do exactly what I have already done in the above statement!
As you can tell im quite infuriated with this ridiculous system. Why not just use a tried and tested method that most software developers use...... Download the software..... pop in the serial number sent via account or email......VOILA!!
It only looks like, because I just left out in my post those messages you wrote about. Its also not the first time, I had trouble like this. Installing new packs always ends up with authorisation or other problems. So best is to start from the scratch. I also don't have success right from the beginning, so I choose at the end the way to get rid of all and start from the scratch.