What's going on? - Page 16 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

What's going on?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

italo808

Re: What's going on?

Postby italo808 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 am

I just had a great late night session with Geist, Jd-xi, Monologue, and Omnisphere! You guys at Fxpansion still have a useful and superb product in Geist 2. Please do not abandon this product, for while it is not a bedrock of my productions in general, I would absolutely be pissed if this piece of software were to ever be abandoned. It is powerful & satisfying enough to temper my constant desire of hardware acquisition. Just thought I’d chime in with a little positive feelings and appreciation for the hard work you all do at Fxpansion.
Cheers from Chicago!

djdrug

Postby djdrug » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 am

I´d like to chime in with some positive vibes. Geist is a great app, I use it almost daily and it always delivers. I have none of the issues other people seem to have and I hope fxpansion keeps supporting it.

Greetings from Stockholm

od

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:30 am

kickthebox wrote:
masterjoe wrote:So...
Studio One 4 just ripped Geist 2 apart. I do not need it anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo42VgK66Y

Yay :D

I really wish you were right.

However Impact XT is a long way short of where it needs to be. For instance there is no way to audition samples in place when you have a part playing, which to me is the most basic and fundemental requirement of a drum sample player. It also doesn't have a way of collecting samples and storing them with the song. These are both a MAJOR fail, and all the other new stuff in S1 4 are pretty lame for a $150 "upgrade".

Sure, I can fully understand what you're saying... And yes - S1 4.0 is the lamest upgrade for the buck Presonus has ever delivered! It's the weakest major release they have done since S1 exists. None of the new features are a true "wow" and all of the new features are rough and unpolished. I have the impression they don't have the development power behind S1 as it would deserve. Or they simply don't care as it works this way, too.

However I am also very pissed with what happend to Geist 2 and fxpansion support in general. I do not recognize fxpansion anymore. The takeover by Roli transformed them fully. This is not the fxpansion I used to know back in the days they gave out prices for beta testers. This very sad... Geist 2 is no crap but there are still many things missing and there is almost zero progress regarding FRs and bug fixes. This makes me wanna go on to something else. It looks like the whole company has been eaten up. This is the point where I want to leave a sinking ship!

S1 4 has delivered parts of what is required to make Geist 2 obsolete. But currently Presonus also lacks the drive they once had. The workflow with integrated patterns right in the host however is something I prefer over having it in the instrument. It makes things much more direct, visible and "understandable" about what's going on in your song.

Yeah, I wish fxpansion and Presonus would not suck these days... So my post regarding S1 would rip Geist apart was more of a parole to make fxpansion wake up. Sooner or later there will be another full blown solution and I am already looking for it. It's sad - because I was a strong supporter for what they did. But the current attitude and support makes me run away!

:(
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win10 Pro x64, Studio One Pro, Bitwig Studio, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

ihiorns

Postby ihiorns » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I fired up Geist2 last night, first time for a long while, played around for about 4 hours. It didn't crash once, I didn't encounter any serious issues. I had a lot of fun and it behaved well enough for me to want to get back into it. The concept is truly awesome, I desperately hope the struggles of getting the implementation right are coming to an end, because I really want this thing.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am

ihiorns wrote:I desperately hope the struggles of getting the implementation right are coming to an end, because I really want this thing.

Good luck with that idea...
Look at the build date in the screenshot and note the release date was in May, if you ask me they had an old build (probably final build) kicking around the can and they got it out 6 months later... hardly builds confidence does it?

ihiorns

Postby ihiorns » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 am

Maybe the build date got overlooked? OK I know... I don't think I've ever come across a developer that seemed so disinterested in their core products or user community. The really bizarre thing being is that it is actually a damn good product that just needs the routine degree of attention and someone committed to the communication side of things. It's not broken beyond all hope, or so my recent experiences have lead me to believe. For a while I was wondering whether the code was cursed on some deep level. Now I don't think so.
I've come to doubt anyone from fxpansion even reads this forum, it's not evident, other than spam occasionally getting removed. That's not a good state of affairs. If your scared of contributing to your own forum then maybe it's better to just axe it. Not every developer has a forum. There's a little hope a bit of positively might help change the narrative, I don't know. Things need shaking up for sure, the situation's just sad really, but I don't think trolling levels of negatively are going to change things for the better.

sharke

Postby sharke » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Urgh 2 years in and to be honest, it still annoys me that I wasted $100 on upgrading from Geist 1 to this junk. It's never worked properly and has many design flaws which have, quite frankly, made me reach for Geist 1 every time instead.

Today I'm in an update mood and have been updating all my apps. Updated Geist 2 to the latest public beta which according to the notes was released a full 3 months ago. It crashes both Sonar and Reaper, hard. Both apps just shut down immediately when I insert Geist 2.

So off I went to download the last official public release before the beta. Clicked on the installer and Defender immediately identified it as a virus. Yes I'm aware of false positives but how can I be sure, and come on, the whole fxpansion experience has really gone down the pan hasn't it?

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 pm

I loved Geist, and fxpansion ruined it. Roli and their weirdo midi controllers ruined Fxpansion. Death to them all

muzicphiles

Postby muzicphiles » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Is roli trying to kill all your fantastic products ??
Geist is still one of my fav drum machines

itsjamesroe

Postby itsjamesroe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm

It's a shame to see such a great product go neglected for so long. Hoping for a proper bug fix update soon or maybe they might shock us all with a Giest 3 release in 2019.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:12 pm

itsjamesroe wrote:It's a shame to see such a great product go neglected for so long. Hoping for a proper bug fix update soon or maybe they might shock us all with a Giest 3 release in 2019.

And flies might pig.

jesussaddle

Postby jesussaddle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Well, if flies pig, then maybe it will get an update, even if no Geist 3.

I think Geist 3 would frankly be too complicated and hardware sales make more profit.

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am

I am still lurking around here from time to time in hope they might change their attitude. But - nope.

It really makes me sort of sad to see what happended after Roli took over. While they told us nothing would change - the exact opposite happened. Now their forums are flooded with spam, they do no longer reply here in the forums - at least not reagarding Geist 2 and its future. There are no updates anymore. Silence. It really looks like Geist ist dead and this is a ghost town now.

No, this is not the fxpansion I loved and used to support for several years. When they had prices for beta testers and communicated like crazy with each and every user. I had the feeling to really be in contact with them, have influence over what's going on as a user and see their products thrive while being a part of a larger team.

Let's face it. Geist 2 has been abandoned. Yes, you can still buy it here. But look at the update history. The last "beta test" has never been finished and it never was something you could honestly call a beta. The whole product was still unfinished when it finally came out. I asked for participating in the beta tests right on time before it came out - no response. The shadows of Roli were already there, I believe. It's a shame. Roli changed the fxpansion support and custormer relationship for the worst that has been imaginable.

I will have a look at this for another couple of weeks as a silent guest. But to be honest - for the first time ever I am thinking about selling all my fxpansion products. Because I can see no future here...

Sad greetings :(
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win10 Pro x64, Studio One Pro, Bitwig Studio, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 am

Hi all, apologies for the radio silence.

We're working on some engine and memory management improvements to Geist2 that we hope will see the light of day soon - this will improve the responsiveness of the GUI in particular, which has seen some slowdown with more recent macOS and Windows updates. The update will also include a range of bug fixes and updates.

Whilst we can't provide a specific release date yet, we want to release it as soon as possible, as we appreciate how long it's been since the last update.

We'll be looking into refreshing our beta testing platform, too - if you'd be interested in testing the next update as part of the private beta team, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks again from us all at FXpansion for your patience.

Return to “Geist2”