The first user Geist 2 thread. - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

The first user Geist 2 thread.

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

CakeAlexS

The first user Geist 2 thread.

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Congrats FX Expansion!
Please post your reviews, I'll probably buy next month I'd like to hear it from those using it right now.

Cheers.

Bathrobe

Re: The first user Geist 2 thread.

Postby Bathrobe » Thu May 19, 2016 2:08 pm

There is a demo u know?

M-Goldie

Postby M-Goldie » Thu May 19, 2016 2:21 pm

For £69 inc two free expander packs it's a great deal in my opinion.
You can run it on the same machine as Geist 1, i.e. it won't overwrite it.
Big screen is great. It's more complex in some ways than 1 but you don't have to go there if you don't want to yet (transmod particularly).
Other things are simplified and more to hand - eg sampling straight to pad.

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Thu May 19, 2016 2:24 pm

No spiter ?? Slicer buggy and drag and drop unusable, scaling messed up, etc, etc....
Last edited by TalmiK on Wed May 25, 2016 3:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu May 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Bathrobe wrote:There is a demo u know?

Sure! Head to https://www.fxpansion.com/products/geist2/, you can download a demo for Mac or Windows.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu May 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Demos are great, but I'm weird in that I like listening to others perspectives.I know.. so 1970's.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 pm

Damn you all to hell!!! :D

Just bought it.
Thanks for the reviews! look forward to comparing notes later!

Williamson

Postby Williamson » Thu May 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Looking forward to playing with it. Question - is it possible to use Geist as a live looper yet? With the ability to record to a pad, it seems like we might be getting closer. Seriously, Geist would be the center of my live rig if I could live loop with it. And its soooo close!

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu May 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Williamson wrote:Looking forward to playing with it. Question - is it possible to use Geist as a live looper yet? With the ability to record to a pad, it seems like we might be getting closer. Seriously, Geist would be the center of my live rig if I could live loop with it. And its soooo close!

Hope you enjoy it! Fully-live looping isn't a feature, but with the threshold-based pad sampler, it's possible to quickly record to multiple pads, allowing on-the-fly sampling. Perhaps try sequencing some notes in the pattern editor, whilst the pads are empty, and experiment with sampling to the pads as the transport runs?

venyusz

Postby venyusz » Thu May 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Hello Geist Team!

Only a question...one of my favourite feature of the Geist 1 is the "Classify" option and that it creates "real" patterns, is it not a feature of the Geist 2 anymore?

thank you

thisreo

Postby thisreo » Thu May 19, 2016 6:48 pm

TalmiK wrote:Real quick first impression : it's a real real big move up, but for users of Geist1 you won't be lost. You feel very familiar from the get go. I'm writting and having fun with it right now.
First the GUI is as big as you want and every elements of it (browser, sequencer, pads, settings for the pads) can be rezised too, you can close the browser, the pads, the settings.
16 slots in the transmod matrix which can be : LFO, morphing LFO, sample and hold, ad enveloppe, mini sequencer, math, constant, bouncing ball. Very easy to use if you are familiar with the transmod system. Everything can be modulated. The varying lenght of the lane in the sequencer is awesome, triplet with whatever else, anything is possible now. You just have to pull the arrow where you want the lane to end.
The enveloppes view is so much clearer now !

But to me the best are the fxs : maul, bloom (which I have for both but being able to use them in Geist is great), guru filter, dirty dac, shaped distortion, much,much more dynamic tool, PhaseMod array and AmberChorus (which sounds sooo sweeet) are new members of the family.
EDIT : scratch that, my favorite new feature is the transmod system, the boucing ball ! I mean... :lol:

No bug for me at the moment.

I'm fully satisfied, that's for sure. Thanks FXP.

Realllly wanted a better triplet integration in geist 2. It has been my biggest (and only) pet peeve for Geist 1 in the past. Especially for Hip hop/trap drum programming because you need to be able to switch between them in the same pattern. I wish the shift paramater could show you when you nudged to the triplet mark or something. Im really curious as to how you are getting this to work because i mad a midi clip in ableton just play a straight triplet hi hat and tried to recreate it in geist and was only getting some really off rhythm when messing with the varying length lane options. It would be amazing if you could offer some more explanation of your process. thanks!

stufflin

Postby stufflin » Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I LOVE IT!!!

Geist 2 empowers!
Having excellent amazing rhythms coming out.

Thanks! A job well done!
Geist 2.0.6.5 64bit
Bitwig 1.3.12
OSX 10.11.5 13" /2,4gHz/ 8gb ram/nvidia geforce 320M 256mb

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm

:D :D :D
Last edited by TalmiK on Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

venyusz wrote:Hello Geist Team!

Only a question...one of my favourite feature of the Geist 1 is the "Classify" option and that it creates "real" patterns, is it not a feature of the Geist 2 anymore?

thank you

Sadly, Classify is one of the few features that didn't make it to Geist2. With the increase in Pads to 64, there was no elegant solution to keep Classify easy to use and functional without completely rewriting it (it made a lot more sense with 16 pads). We are aware that some users still want it and it's on the list of things to assess when the dust settles on Geist2. In the meantime, Classify is a Geist1 only feature. Sorry.

Return to “Geist2”