[FR - 0014662] Where's the Spitter Plugin for Geist2? [Will reappear soon] - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

[FR - 0014662] Where's the Spitter Plugin for Geist2? [Will reappear soon]

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

realizm01

[FR - 0014662] Where's the Spitter Plugin for Geist2? [Will reappear soon]

Postby realizm01 » Sat May 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Windows 10 64 bit PC
8GB Ram
Intel I7 2.4Ghz Processor
Running Studio One v2 as my DAW

I was dismayed to find out that my new Geist2 purchase no longer supports the Spitter Plugin.
The old Spitter plugin doesn't work with Geist2. There is no new Spitter plugin for Geist2.

I'm upset because that was the main way I sampled into Geist. That was my workflow. I could just put a spitter on the master bus in Studio One, and then sample into Geist using Studio One's Browser and Geist's Threshold function.

Not that Geists browser isn't capable of the same thing....I just like S1's browser better. And using S1's browser gives me access to the rest of my drive while I can just leave Geist's browser in the Geist factory folder.

Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to sample from an audio track in S1 into Geist2. The Geist2 manual says that I would have to route audio from one track in S1 INTO Geist2, and then set the sampler to the "External" setting. I never had to do that before, and the S1 manual never states how to do it or even if it's possible, other than sidechaining or using send FX, both of which doesn't function in a way that the Geist2 sampler can pick up.

Is anybody experiencing similar problems in S1 (or any other DAW for that matter)? How did you overcome it?

To FXpansion....will you guys be creating a spitter plugin or spitter-like function for Geist2 in the future? Or do you have any specifics about using Geist2 in Studio One that I should know?

konfront

Re: Where's the Spitter Plugin for Geist2?

Postby konfront » Sat May 21, 2016 5:30 pm

If true, that's bummer. I'm a spitter as well :shock:

vanhaze

Postby vanhaze » Sat May 21, 2016 6:41 pm

A new feature in G2 is the fact that you can directly sample to a pad.
So the functionality of sampling in Geist 2 must be still there.
I haven't tried it out yet myself.
Maybe, for sampling in Geist 2, the Spitter is no longer needed.
Meaning that Geist can just "listen" to any audio which arrives in Geist, without the need of Spitter.
And then take a sample of that audio, and place it directly onto a pad.

Have you looked up the Geist 2 manual ?
I am not really familiar with S1 but i think you can just route an audiotrack to the track on which Geist 2 is inserted.

3dmus

Postby 3dmus » Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 pm

I've just tried it, but indeed, the spitter plugin from Geist 1 doesn't seem to work. Also, I don't know of any way to route audio to Geist from another track in Studio One (3). It works a treat in Reaper (w/o the need for spitter), as track routing is very flexible there.

I'd be very interested to see if someone has got a solution for this.

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 am

You can overcome it (at least I did it in Samplitude).....
But I hope spitter 2 will come out one day, this was really a great tool.
Last edited by TalmiK on Wed May 25, 2016 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

betbond

Postby betbond » Sun May 22, 2016 9:20 am

Use geist 1 with the spitter for sampling. Drag samples to geist 2 for editing?

3dmus

Postby 3dmus » Sun May 22, 2016 10:32 am

TalmiK wrote:You can overcome it (at least I did it in Samplitude) with the help of DDMF send it vstfx and a vsti "hoster" like Bidule which I use or DDMF metaplugin, Bluecat thing...It's pretty easy to set up. Let me know if someone needs help.
But I hope spitter 2 will come out one day, this was really a great tool.

Ah, good idea! I'll try that.

3dmus

Postby 3dmus » Sun May 22, 2016 10:33 am

betbond wrote:Use geist 1 with the spitter for sampling. Drag samples to geist 2 for editing?

Thx. Yeh, that would work, but then we would miss out on these new sampling features (direct to pad, next pad automatically selected etc).

gheist

Postby gheist » Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 am

In Bitwig Studio, I found out, no spitter is necessary for sampling in Geist1.
I just had to route audio content directly to the Geist plugin.

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Yes we need Spitter back, or at least some solution to get audio in for Studio One / Samplitude / whatever else doesn't support sending audio to a VSTi.

All the workarounds (be it export from DAW and drag into Geist or use Geist 1) are clunky and inconvenient at best.

vanhaze

Postby vanhaze » Sun May 22, 2016 5:19 pm

So let's all switch over to Reaper : problem solved :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

realizm01

Postby realizm01 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Pretty married to my Studio One workflow. It's honestly easier for me to just keep using Geist 1. Which sucks, because Geist2 is better in every way EXCEPT sampling from the DAW. I sampled from my DAW a lot BECAUSE the spitter made it so easy to do.

And anyway, what DAWs actually DO support this feature? From what I've seen, even Pro Tools can't route audio to VSTi inputs. Neither can Logic. I don't know about Cubase or Sonar or MOTU Digital Performer or Reason. I THINK FL Studio can do it. I'd like to know just which DAWs support this feature that FXpansion thinks that ALL DAWs can do. If anything, this thread shows them up big time.

If I hadn't been so gung ho to BUY the thing and demoed it first, that missing spitter plugin would have been enough for me to pass on purchasing it until they came to their senses and made a new spitter.

kickthebox

Postby kickthebox » Mon May 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Bump - anyone from FX got a comment on this please? It's a major issue for a number of us. Thanks.

dredd i knight

Postby dredd i knight » Mon May 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Bump
Fx need to answer this. The spitter was an excellent little app,and getting rid of it, without providing a replacement method seems counterintuitive to Geist's M.O.

JMaus

Postby JMaus » Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Indeed, Spitter is a valuable tool, please update or replace.
JM

Return to “Geist2”