FEATURE REQUESTS - Page 8 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FEATURE REQUESTS

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Jwiering

Re: FEATURE REQUESTS

Postby Jwiering » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:59 pm

The ability to midi map the 'mute track steps (not audio mute)' buttons next to the sounds!

This option would make Geist2 an epic candidate for live performances. Now Geist2 is confined to mapping a hardware controller to audio-muting sounds and engines, which directly cuts off sounds when triggered. When you are able to midi map the pads of the f.e. MPD232 to the 'mute track step'-buttons, you are able to improvise your way through a whole beat in a song, without cymbals and open-hihats being cut off.

It shouldn't be hard to fix I think, since other parts are already midi-mappable, but they left out the little buttons that I use the most for a live performance.

Hope this gets in! I started making electronic music using Guru and really am hoping that I continue (now 10 years) later with Geist2 as a full-time musician. [instead of using an MPC5000 which syncs reaally badly or using Maschine which just doesn't sound right]

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stewartcattanach@icloud.c

Postby stewartcattanach@icloud.c » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Feature request: Drag samples into shortlist. (Instead of right click, add to shortlist)

major05

Postby major05 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 am

The ability to drag and drop samples on to where it says the samples name in the step sequencer instead of just the pad squares. I like to see the full step sequence and I drag and drop from my DAWS browser I dont use Geist browser. and the ability to resize the window smaller

major05

Postby major05 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:59 am

The ability to drag and drop samples on to where it says the samples name in the step sequencer instead of just the pad squares. I like to see the full step sequence and I drag and drop from my DAWS browser I dont use Geist browser. and the ability to resize the window smaller

konfront

Postby konfront » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm

adjusting the loop length on the ruler in song mode could use a bit more refinement. it's not really clear when you have control over the loop's length to be able to move the fixed length or to shorten it or the cursor's position. the brackets which are for changing the loop length sometimes control the cursor.

stewartcattanach@icloud.c

Postby stewartcattanach@icloud.c » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:35 am

I just realised Geist 2 can be useful in chromatic mode to quickly browse midi files. Would be good if you supplied piano or some sort of pluck samples to fill the pads in chromatic mode to have something out of the box ready to audition midi melody patterns.

John65

Postby John65 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Congratulations on upgrading a great piece of software - I really like Geist 1.

I'd like to add my up-vote to the hit classifier function in Geist 1 which was extremely useful for a ton of routine workflow and experimental moves e.g. replacing a 'kick' sound in a sliced loop (otherwise lots of "kick" pads to track down on separate pads with sequential slices!) - I only upgraded to Geist 2 about 15 minutes ago and I'm missing it a lot already!

Hey - Just found a temporary workaround - Do your slicing in Geist 1 and save as a sound engine, then import that engine into Geist 2.

Hope that helps everybody until we get the Classifier back in Geist 2 - The home of flagship functions for Beatmakers!!!!!

cwalkerden

Postby cwalkerden » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:52 am

Not sure whether this will be seen, but here are two feature requests:

- Implement: Export as Audio > Files > All assigned pads (multiple files). I love this when using Maschine, as I can get each used pad separately, then mix elsewhere having each pad part on discrete audio tracks.

- Fix: GUI sluggishness.

Vuccappella

Postby Vuccappella » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:34 am

Allow us to have the ability to use a "free grid" when using the step sequencer in the pattern menu instead of the shift option.

Let me expand on the above:

If you're working in the step sequencer pattern view to shift a note you would need to first select that pattern and then using the shift parameter draw in the negative or positive shift of that note.

There are a couple of problems with that method of doing things:

There is no visual indication if a note is shifted or not unless you've selected the shift menu for that pattern and even if you do it that way you can only tell if a note is shifted for only one pattern at a time!!

If you played something live, there is no visual feedback to check how in time that was and what is shifted, everything looks snapped to the grid which is only lying to you because everything appears in time (unless you're using a 1/32 length but even then you will have troubles)
If you playback what you played live, you will realise that there are shifts and then you would need to go through the shift parameter for all the drums you've played and check them one by one individually and re-adjust them to your liking (not quantise since you want to keep some of the shifts) - this is really time consuming and non-intuitive, instead of being able to tell immediately everything that is shifted and being able to move it on the spot for each pattern I want without individually selecting it and going in to its extra shift parameter.

This really doesn't make sense to me. From a design perspective I understand why shift is on that menu grouped with everything else,since it's a drop down menu with adjustable parameters BUT no one else does it this way for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
If you check Abletons piano roll or FL Studio's piano roll (where you could layer drums etc), they all have the option to automate and adjust velocity,automation etc beneath the piano roll such as with Geist's sequencer, however they don't have the shift built in below pianorolls, they have it merged with the piano roll itself and if you adjust your grid to be none then you can move the notes freely left and right out of the grid and when you play something live even if you had a grid set, visually you will see where your shifts occurred unless you quantised.

I realise the examples I gave are piano rolls but if you're using ableton with a drum rack the piano roll essentially becomes your sequencer as you dont have pitches (simillar to geist) and this feature is super useful in that case as well.

It's the same with FL studio, there you can quickly pop your drums on the step sequencer (where you do not have pitches. Then, if needed you can click pianoroll on that drum pattern you had drawn and it will convert it to the piano roll where you would be able to shift them left and right.

I understand that Geist is a step sequencer and not a piano roll but this feature can be in sequencer and will increase productivity.

My suggestion for this problem:

1. Have a length option of None (that doesn't really make sense here as it;s more of a grid setting but since there are no grid options in geist it might need to be grouped there.

2. If there's a shift applied to a note in the sequencer, visually shift the note to where it should be, giving you instant feedback. This way people who are used to using the shift option can still use it if they want to and it would get better for them as well and for everyone else who doesn't want to use that option, they can shift them manually in the grid!

3. If you record something without quantisation, visually shift the notes if they were not in place to where you played them. So in other words, when you play something have geist visually represent to you in the actual sequencer without selecting the grid option where your notes are, even if you've set a grid already and it's fixed.

4. Give the option to freely move the notes left and right on the grid so they're easily re-adjustable, for the whole sequencer and for only selected patterns.Things can get really interesting here since in geist2 you can have patterns in ployrythms and having the ability to shift the notes for the polyryth, tracks easily will produce interesting results.

Thanks you!
Last edited by Vuccappella on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vuccappella

Postby Vuccappella » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:40 am

Give us the ability to color code the sequencer and the drumpads!

If you select a color for a drum pad you get a thin line with that color applied to it but that is it, it doesn't apply anywhere else.

Instead, if you select a color for a drum pad, at the very least - match that color in the step sequencer, so if your kick is blue, let it appear blue in the step sequencer as well, so the whole sequence for the kick looks blue - pretty useful!

Also, currently the thin line applied to the drum pad is something but I would love for color coding to actually apply on the whole pad and change it to the color you've selected. If you select blue for your kick drum on your pad, let there be an option of how color coding works. I'd love it if it colored the whole drum pad blue (paler blue when not playing and not selected and a higher opacity blue when being played).

I realise some people would like the more minimalistic approach but I love color coding and I would always use these options if they were available..

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:16 pm

After messing about with Force Layer I was thinking "what about a force layer playback mode" in addition to chromatic and velocity.

It would work like this:
1/ Choose Pad
2/ Select "Force Layer" mode from the pad dropdown.
3/ Pads 1 - 8 now play layers 1 - 8.
4/ Recording in this mode results in force layer setting being recorded to the pattern editor.

It would work especially well with drum loops and save you having to use up unnecessary pads. Not that we're short of them, but it would be great for those using a 16 pad controller.

The conga in this is using force layers. To be able to play one pad in this mode would be awesome.
https://youtu.be/uFXH2Pa48lg?t=2m16s

konfront

Postby konfront » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 pm

ok. at this point I'm settling for being able to use it without it crashing.

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Feature Request: When a sample is set to "Gated" mode, add the ability to draw a gate range in sequencer that is shorter than 1 step.

Currently, gated playback samples have a minimum of 1 current step value, and can be dragged outward to greater lengths. However, this is a major limitation, because if you want a very small portion of the sample to play (e.g. a time value -less- than 1 step in the sequencer) it is impossible to do it! The minimum gate length is whatever duration = 1 step in the sequencer.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

mholloway wrote:Feature Request: When a sample is set to "Gated" mode, add the ability to draw a gate range in sequencer that is shorter than 1 step.

Currently, gated playback samples have a minimum of 1 current step value, and can be dragged outward to greater lengths. However, this is a major limitation, because if you want a very small portion of the sample to play (e.g. a time value -less- than 1 step in the sequencer) it is impossible to do it! The minimum gate length is whatever duration = 1 step in the sequencer.

That's already in there :-)
Just hold down one of the modifier keys while dragging to get finer accuracy. I'm not sure which key as I have a Windows keyboard on a Hackintosh, but it's either Alt or Ctrl.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Kickflip wrote:That's already in there :-)
Just hold down one of the modifier keys while dragging to get finer accuracy. I'm not sure which key as I have a Windows keyboard on a Hackintosh, but it's either Alt or Ctrl.

Whoa, seriously!? That's great! I'll try it out when I get home. It seems a very weird / hidden requirement to need a modifier key to drag left, when dragging to the right (increasing duration) doesn't require one..... seems like it should be symmetrical behavior to to me, drag right to cover multiple steps, drag left to make it smaller than 1 step....<shrug>

Very glad to hear this though, will try it out as soon as I can. Thanks!

-Michael

Return to “Geist2”