FEATURE REQUESTS - Page 6 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FEATURE REQUESTS

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Lawrence_fx

Re: FEATURE REQUEST Round Robin

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:30 pm

extrajazz wrote:Hello, I have two feature requests regarding Round Robin.

The first is simple: a more „intelligent“ random mode for Round Robin, that avoids the repetition of the same sample. For every programmer a very easy task.

The second one may argue about. It's a great pity, that one has to decide between the two options velocity split and Round Robin. Not in every situation I would need both options combined, but in some it would be crucial. The results would be so much more realistic and nuanced... And no thats not a feature one only needs in a drum sampler for acoustic drums, it would bring Geist2 to a entirely new level in my eyes.

Yes there are now many, many possible pads in Geist2, up to 512 per instance if one would use all of them. And if too many of them would have a lot of Round Robin Samples, then the normally possible amount of RAM would not be enough. But within the scope of an ordinary usage there should not emerge a problem with RAM or slowdown of the computer.

I would suggest up to seven possible additional Round Robin samples per velocity-layer. Together with the ordinary velocity samples then would be the number of samples per pad at the maximum of 64 samples. But most of the time I use in Kontakt three or five Round Robin samples, thats's normally enough.

I made a sketch, how it could look. The question is, wether it needs also the full layer editor possibilities per Round Robin „layer“. Tuning, filter and so on - an Amp envelope would be enough I suppose.

Thanks,

Stefan

A very interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's something most Geist2 users would benefit from; something like BFD3 features a much more extensive array of velocity layering, round-robin triggering and humanising when it comes to drums, and can handle user-loaded samples as well. Because Geist2 is ultimately geared towards a step-sequencer/groovebox-based approach to sequencing as opposed to a more realistic approach, 8 layers per pad gives users enough flexibility to add an element of realism if they so desire... twinned with the the 64 pads available per engine, you could dedicate an entire engine to one particular drum and spread the velocity layers over the 64 pads. Defintely a cool idea and something to consider, though, and maybe the round robin could be fleshed out a bit further to offer a bit more flexibility.

Lawrence_fx

Re: FEATURE REQUESTS

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:36 pm

0014709 - 'Morph' option to crossfade between different graph snapshots
0014947 - Keyboard shortcut or MIDI-mappable control to show/hide pad parameter window
0014946 - Transmoddable Swing dial
0014945 - Glide/portamento function
0014944 - Formant shift function in pad parameter window
0014941 - Ability to MIDI map Mix, Sends and Effects tabs in Mixer windows
0014940 - Open last-open project on startup
0014911 - Ability to rearrange layers via. drag & drop
0014904 - Ability to sequence triplets

FluxMachina wrote:Here's a feature request.

Strictly for the Hardcore II

You know it makes sense! :D :idea:

I'll speak to Rozz3r and see what he thinks... :twisted:

sharke

Postby sharke » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:48 am

AN ENHANCED SONG MODE!

I know I've probably said this dozens of times before but the song mode really needs some more editing functionality, most of all the ability to insert/delete measures from the timeline. The lack of such functionality ruins the convenience of the song mode for me. I typically arrange using the Geist song mode alongside the arrangement window of my DAW, and I am frequently adding measures to or deleting measures from the arrangement in the DAW. This presents a huge problem when arranging in Geist because it means that I have to shift all patterns to the right of the insertion/deletion in the Geist song window. How great would it be to be able to simply insert or delete the required number of measures in the song window to keep things in sync with the DAW? After putting up with this limitation for so long with Geist 1, I had really thought it was a no-brainer which would be implemented in an enhanced song mode in Geist 2, but to my disappointment almost nothing has been improved in the song mode with the update :(

JohnCarer

Postby JohnCarer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm

I'd like to request Pitch Bend. The one time I have to ever switch out of Geist2 because it falls short is when I'm playing a part with a sample that I want to use pitch bend on. While I'm aware that I'm able to map keyboard knobs and the pitchwheel to the layer pitch knobs manually, that still does not achieve the same effect.

gheist

Postby gheist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:50 am

Please could you remove the "send page" and make the sends accessible in the "mix page" like a normal mixer view :idea: .
Too much clicking around for just switching pages.

philippe.l

Postby philippe.l » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:35 am

Lawrence_fx wrote:
philippe.l wrote:Hello,

I would like to have a sample play mode that doesn't stop the playback at the end marker, but instead only cuts when an other pad is played.

This can be acheived by assigning the Choke option to 'By other pads' as opposed to 'Not cut' in the pad parameter window.

Hi,
i wasn't precise enough in my description.
If you consider a long sample sliced in many parts.
Let's say I trigger a slice in the middle, I don't want the sample to cut until I press an other pad, which can be achieved with the option you mentioned. Ok but I don't want the playback to stop at the end of the slice either. If it reaches the end it just continues playing through the original sample until another pad is pressed. This is great to sort of get rid of the slices length adjustment, this way if you sequence slices at any master tempo you are almost sure to have a continuous sound, without having to adjust manually the length of the slices or timestretch it.
This is similar for example to the "through" playback mode in ableton simpler.

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 am

JohnCarer wrote:I'd like to request Pitch Bend. The one time I have to ever switch out of Geist2 because it falls short is when I'm playing a part with a sample that I want to use pitch bend on. While I'm aware that I'm able to map keyboard knobs and the pitchwheel to the layer pitch knobs manually, that still does not achieve the same effect.

Was just about to make a similar request for the same reason. If pitchbend isn't going to happen, I would love if the coarse tune knob could have a little checkbox next to it that increases the +/- range by an octave on either end so we can have a 48 semitone range. The timestretched pitch shifting is so great and useful (and I believe unique), it would be awesome to have the ability to get a full, relatively fluid 48 semitone pitch range without tempo being affected.

Thank you!

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 am

And I just wanted to mention it again because I think it would be so helpful... It would be amazing if we could get a pattern view playback marker that can be set by the user for listening to later segments of really long patterns without having to listen from the beginning. It would make my life a creative utopia. Thank you. :)

bigcoola

Postby bigcoola » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 pm

MAKE MULTIPLE QUANTIZATIONS ON A PATTERN LINE.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:47 pm

philippe.l wrote:Hi,
Let's say I trigger a slice in the middle, I don't want the sample to cut until I press an other pad, which can be achieved with the option you mentioned. Ok but I don't want the playback to stop at the end of the slice either. If it reaches the end it just continues playing through the original sample until another pad is pressed. This is great to sort of get rid of the slices length adjustment, this way if you sequence slices at any master tempo you are almost sure to have a continuous sound, without having to adjust manually the length of the slices or timestretch it.

This sounds like something the Looping playback mode will let you achieve, in combination with the 'By other pads' choke option. In the drop-down menu above the Choke option, change the playback from One Shot to Looping. This will loop each slice as long as a note in the pattern editor dictates, until it ends or the pad is released. The start and end points of the loop, plus a crossfader, can be used to remove clicks and ensure a smooth loop. The amp envelope can also be applied to the loop for a smooth fade once the pad is released.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:00 pm

bigcoola wrote:MAKE MULTIPLE QUANTIZATIONS ON A PATTERN LINE.

Could you elaborate a little more please? What do you mean by multiple quantizations?

0014961 - Enhanced Song mode features
0014962 - Pitch bend
0014963 - Incorporate Send dials 1-4 in main mixer window
0014887 - Pattern transport playhead to allow playback at specific points of the pattern

philippe.l

Postby philippe.l » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:25 am

Lawrence_fx wrote:
philippe.l wrote:Hi,

This sounds like something the Looping playback mode will let you achieve, in combination with the 'By other pads' choke option. In the drop-down menu above the Choke option, change the playback from One Shot to Looping. This will loop each slice as long as a note in the pattern editor dictates, until it ends or the pad is released. The start and end points of the loop, plus a crossfader, can be used to remove clicks and ensure a smooth loop. The amp envelope can also be applied to the loop for a smooth fade once the pad is released.

Hello, thanks for your answer but it's not exactly the same thing. looping should be carefully set up, plus i am pretty sure that looping mode requires to hold the pads down as in the "gated mode".
Really, a "through" pad playack mode that acts like one shot mode but doesn't stop at the end of the slice could be simple and great!

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:26 pm

philippe.l wrote:Hello, thanks for your answer but it's not exactly the same thing. looping should be carefully set up, plus i am pretty sure that looping mode requires to hold the pads down as in the "gated mode".
Really, a "through" pad playack mode that acts like one shot mode but doesn't stop at the end of the slice could be simple and great!

If you ensure the 'Loop in Release' function is enabled below the loop parameters whilst in Looping mode, you can extend the loop time by increasing the Release time in the Amp envelope to 15 seconds, which will cause the sample to loop continuously for 15 seconds, unless interrupted by another pad.

LYTZ1

transmod section presets.

Postby LYTZ1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Very possible that this popped up before, as to me this is pretty obvious, but didn't find anything about it though.

I'd really like to see a preset save/load functionality for the transmod-section as well.

That way we can save/load full (and thus more complicated) Transmod setups which are
often nearly impossible to recreate, especially when math is involved.

I am pretty certain that loading different transmod presets on a fully modulated kit or song gives very interesting
and sonically drasticly different results, especially when really a lot of modulation is going on.

Other presets (Fx presets for example) save their assigned transmod-state already anyways and loading them up
in a different kit/song already gives complete different results on that preset. (Meaning no preset sounds the same when
transmod is assigned and loaded up in a different project with a different transmod setup)

So a Transmod-preset function would be an extremely logical addition in my book.
Especially because this is the strongest point/best new feature in G2 anyways, so I'd like to see FXP expand on that.. ;)

Best,
tL.

LYTZ1

Postby LYTZ1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 pm

...and a rather small FR, which actually might be even a bug, as it doesn't make any sense to me:

In songmode / on the songpage when zooming in, the visible grid makes a step from 1/4th division to.. aeh... I guess
1/64th or even 1/128th... Not sure, but frigging high. That really doesnt make any sense.

A 16th division obviously would make **way** more sense to have somewhere inbetween there.
The superhigh resolution kicks in way too fast for sure and is pretty much useless for 95% of the tasks.

So a 16th division grid at some zoom-level in the song-window would be very much appreciated.

Return to “Geist2”