Issues with timestretch? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Issues with timestretch?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

FluxMachina

Issues with timestretch?

Postby FluxMachina » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Has anyone had any issues with time stretch? For example does playing a heavily time stretched sample cause what sounds like an overloaded cpu for the entire audio stream?

FluxMachina

Re: Issues with timestretch?

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:23 am

Yes.

Experienced this while trying to figure out why a basic kick patterns was glitching. Turns out it was another sample that was time stretched and wasn't even playing. These bugs keep showing up every time I get back into Geist after losing faith.

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Yep I put up a post about it a few weeks back.I even reinstalled my system thinking it was an issue. Apparently Fxpansions don't have that problem at the office and they said they were sorry that Geist is under performing on my system?Make of that what you will?lol..But your correct if you time stretch anything with more that one or more tracks after 15 minutes of running I get clicking and popping all over the place.Check my old posts. I also get crashes when I select a bunch of notes at the end of a bar and move them?I just don't understand why there is never any feedback or acknowledgment from the team. I as a paying customer would feel really at ease if they just got back now and again and said "You know what guys we cans see that was an issue and we will work on it"But when you get a response like "we don't have that problem here"Its hard to know what to do next?Maybe its our computers?I got a 2 grand high spec pc?Confused as hell...

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Oh boy! What are we doing to ourselves eh!? Looks like there are some serious issues going on under the hood.
Regarding the lack of acknowledgement from FX, who knows what's going on there. It's unfortunate and I don't want to accuse anybody of being deceptive but hey, that's the world we live in. Fool me once and all that...

Just have to be a lot wiser and more informed about any future purchases. I hope you can either find an alternative or a way of working around the problems in the meantime. It's a hard one to let go of isn't it?

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Yeah it is!The thing is with Geist is I'm getting to a point where I'm creating whole finished polished tracks with it or I'm getting pretty damn close.I know people even myself have given Fxpansions a hard time but its only because its a whisper away from being a master piece. For the money the effects themselves are amazing. I love of setting the grid and once you get your head round the depth you find its a really inspirational way of working,the sound quality reminds me of pro tools crisp and sharp and its tight as hell.I love tremor as well but with a few more track counts and a few tweaks that could also be the one stop drum synth throw in the ability to play polyphony and more transmods then its a job well done.Yes Geist has flaws but those things can be and should be addressed. Its never been running smooth top to bottom maybe because it has a lot of depth and functions and its a difficult job to achieve. But I cant give it up because I'm bloody committed to it.i have invested a lot of time trying to find a work flow with it, getting me away from the DAW environment and more into a groove box mentality. Was thinking about buying strobe. So I have 4 or 5 pieces of kit that I can streamline and work with and know well rather than own every plug in a vst in the world and never realise its true potential. Something clicks with me with their products you have to give them a lot of time and thought and its am alternative route if your sick of working in a DAW.Which I am...Geist and tremor offer me that option.But they need to smooth things out.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:16 pm

You could say that things are no different now than they were back then when all of this started. Certain bits of gear could do certain things really well but each had certain restrictions or idiosyncrasies. Geist happens to do loop chopping and drum layering extremely well. Just forget about looping and time-stretching, use other plug-ins for that. I really hear you on the workflow front. There's something unique about it that makes chucking out drums a real pleasure.

Keep going bro! Don't get jaded like me and waste money on stuff you'll never really use. The gold is in your brain and in your spirit. :D
Where do you post your stuff anyway? It would be good to have a listen. I mostly just dabble these days, call it technical noodling.

Return to “Geist2”