Disappointed by Geist 2 - Page 3 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Disappointed by Geist 2

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

vasilios

Re: Disappointed by Geist 2

Postby vasilios » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Why would you even spend time on a piano roll?
It's a drum sequencer.
Ive been around long enough to see developers get tangled up in user requests made by the general public.
Want a piano roll? Use another sampler.
Don't give in to people that want Geist to be everything for everyone

M-Goldie

Postby M-Goldie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 am

I haven't spent enough time with G2 yet, however I used it for a first proper run out in a commercial job last week and I have to say it was brilliant! First time I've thought I've got a genuine software alternative to my MPC4000.

Only issue I had was some intermittent problem where in song mode Geist would get confused about where it was in Logic's timeline depending on whether the 'cycle' was on or off in Logic. If I can duplicate the issue I'll send in a proper report to the devs.

konfront

Postby konfront » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:09 pm

very few of us are doubting it's brilliance. it's kind of like being invited, nay, paying a reasonable amount for a banquet where you're taken in and showed all the stuff you can't eat. the fact that what it can become is right there yet for some reason we can't have it that is the cause of much of the frustration. in my case, anyway.

sharke

Postby sharke » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 am

Gotta admit my copy of Geist 2 has gathered dust for a long time. For all of the complaints about Geist 1 (mainly due to a few minor issues and the size of its interface), I have found myself going back to it. I realize they've crammed a lot more features into Geist 2, but for me the overall workflow is inferior to Geist 1 in so many ways. From major things like not being able to limit the number of pads that slices are automatically mapped to (I really cannot deal with any more than 16 lanes of a step sequencer when making beats, and Geist 1 used to layer them if there were more than 16 slices), even down to little things like how you move FX around the FX slots, the interface to me seems like a step backward. And does anyone really need 64 pads? Working with that many rows in one engine is horrible, and feels like a step away from the intuitive drum machine like feel that was the wonder of Geist 1. I mean give us more pattern slots, sure (how many people have begged for this?) but 64 pads just seems like a pointless exercise with limited use for a limited number of users.

I can't think of everything about it that annoys me offhand, but if I fired it up right now it would come back to me pretty quick.

In fact I just fired up the standalone to jog my memory, loaded one of the factory presets, and it crashed. I guess that's that.

konfront

Postby konfront » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 pm

sharke wrote:In fact I just fired up the standalone to jog my memory, loaded one of the factory presets, and it crashed. I guess that's that.

Word.

Please submit crash report. They say hardly anybody submits them and they need it to fix this damned thing. Hopefully, after the 2-year beta, we'll have a functional product and some money back for our trouble. :lol:

I guess the clamor for more pads was big enough for then to include it with g2. I can't understand it myself.

sharke

Postby sharke » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:54 pm

konfront wrote:
sharke wrote:In fact I just fired up the standalone to jog my memory, loaded one of the factory presets, and it crashed. I guess that's that.

Word.

Please submit crash report. They say hardly anybody submits them and they need it to fix this damned thing. Hopefully, after the 2-year beta, we'll have a functional product and some money back for our trouble. :lol:

I guess the clamor for more pads was big enough for then to include it with g2. I can't understand it myself.

Where does one submit the crash report? I have it saved to my desktop.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 am

sharke wrote:
konfront wrote:

Word.

Where does one submit the crash report? I have it saved to my desktop.

Send it to us via the support ticket system: https://fxpansion.com/support/technical/

Cheers!

sharke

Postby sharke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Drew_fx wrote:
Send it to us via the support ticket system: https://fxpansion.com/support/technical/

Cheers!

Hi Drew,

I submitted a bug report but I don't see of what use it would be without the crash logs - you might want to add a file upload feature for that purpose.

sharke

Postby sharke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:22 pm

By the way I just worked out which full preset is causing the standalone to crash, it's "Blister."

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:29 pm

sharke wrote:By the way I just worked out which full preset is causing the standalone to crash, it's "Blister."

Thanks for clarifying; does the crash occur when accessing a particular function, or as soon as the preset is loaded? Could you please provide some more info regarding your system setup? Please do submit a bug report via. our support system, where you can paste the contents of any crash logs that are generated as part of the message.

sharke

Postby sharke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:
sharke wrote:By the way I just worked out which full preset is causing the standalone to crash, it's "Blister."

Thanks for clarifying; does the crash occur when accessing a particular function, or as soon as the preset is loaded? Could you please provide some more info regarding your system setup? Please do submit a bug report via. our support system, where you can paste the contents of any crash logs that are generated as part of the message.

It happens as soon as the preset is loaded. I don't even have a chance to click anything. I did submit a bug report with full details, and attached the crash reports to a subsequent response email that was sent to me.

Return to “Geist2”