Forum

FXpansion Forum

What's going on?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

konfront

Re: What's going on?

Postby konfront » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:36 am

Ah yes, the halcyon days of earlier this year. Kneecapped ranting on us wimps for “complaining” about Geist2 only to be banned because mods found he didn’t even own his copy. Or was that another thread. Kinda hard to keep up with all the action here.

And “no” the mods aren’t that stringent here. You’ll see weird adbot postings every now and then that aren’t taken down for days.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

I missed that bit, thought he at least owned it! I thought he was just banned because of his attitude. The last I remember was him saying "Make a tune to prove that Geist stops you making tunes", so I mentioned that everything on my Soundcloud had Geist driving the drums (which he'd looked at because he started ranting on about my hair for some reason). I went to bed... woke up to a reply notification email and a deleted thread, kinda sad I didn't get to see his last post :lol:

Also had to laugh at him saying that I had 650 posts crying about faults, not realising how many of those are helping other users, and not realising I've been powerusing FXPansion's drum sequencing since the GURU days :lol:
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 pm

eiphen

Postby eiphen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Looks like it happens the same as with geist first version : zero dev news and enhancement after a point, no feature request filled.

When Roli bought fxp, I though that you were going to fresh start some stuff, base all your plug on JUCE now to modernize them, and co. but it's just new sound packs and end of the story it seems..?

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 pm

konfront

Postby konfront » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 am

CakeAlexS wrote:https://youtu.be/e5HkuhSEnPQ

Karma police, arrest this man.
He talks in YouTube vids

This is what you’ll get
This is what you’ll get
This is what you’ll get

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Arrested development!!

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4Y7Cei_bw

Well, well, well.

When I started this sad thread more than one year ago(!) I never even thought about fxpansion not updating Geist 2 anymore.
But now... my hope is gone. Geist 2 is finally dead. Really dead.

Promises, promises, promises... all broken. Fxpansion is no longer what it used to be after Roli took over.

So ... R.I.P.

I'm out.
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win8.1 Pro x64, Studio One Pro 3.x, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

Joeoss

Postby Joeoss » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:33 pm

What's a good alternative to Giest as I have kept coming back to this forum to see if they are fixing any issues before I part with my cash and certainly looks like that is not going to happen so time to find alternative.

Any suggestions?

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Joeoss wrote:What's a good alternative to Giest as I have kept coming back to this forum to see if they are fixing any issues before I part with my cash and certainly looks like that is not going to happen so time to find alternative.

Any suggestions?

That's kinda the problem -- there isn't really anything, other than going the Maschine route. Which is great, but involves hardware obviously and is a different approach.

For a purely software drum sampler / sequencer, everything else is wildly out of date (e.g. Motu's BPM, that Xfer drum module....I can barely think of the others). Battery has no sequencer.....

Geist -could- have such an edge on the market if it was more stable and worked more smoothly. I really want to love it bc on paper, it does everything I want a drum sampler+sequencer to do, but the experience of using it just isn't that fun. the UI is sluggish, response time for opening context menus is laggy and therefore annoying...oh and it crashes....it could be amazing, it just needs work.

but I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said 1000 times already in this very thread.

but competition / other options? yeah, not a lot to choose from. basically Maschine.... and like I said, that's a whole different approach to the same core concept of drum sampling / sequencing.

LYTZ1

Postby LYTZ1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:27 pm

To make it short: There is none. Guru/Geist always was unique like nothing else on the market.

Regarding Software/Plugin solutions most likely Xfer Nerve is still the best, but it's
already quite a couple of years old, never got any major upgrade and
is in general far *far* behind Geist's extensive feature set and workflow.
And for me personally, Geist's Transmod kills everything else anyways.

Maschine & Akai's MPC Ren/Touch and X are completely different things.
Based on hardware but still, none of them has these extensive modulation capabilities
or is as deep tweakable like Geist is.

I am pretty sure that this also is the reason why a lot of people here are getting very emotional about it.
If you like to work the "Guru/Geist" way, there really is nowhere else to go.

Best,
tL.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I got so into GURU because it approached drums in the way I already worked, so it was perfect to add to my workflow!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness

http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 am

mholloway wrote:That's kinda the problem -- there isn't really anything, other than going the Maschine route. Which is great, but involves hardware obviously and is a different approach.

Yep, it's not the same at all. But Maschine does make a very solid controller for Geist, so would push if it had a standalone editor (unless you go down the PXT-General route). I've never used a piece of software so endearing as Geist before. It's a damn shame it has been abandoned like this. Not even a final bug fix to say au revoir. That's shitty, and so is cashing in on new sound packs.

Joeoss

Postby Joeoss » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks guys, quess I will just hold onto my cash, bet there are plenty of others like me out there.

quantize

Postby quantize » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 pm

yeh put a fork in FXpansion, this company is on the way out, with all our software, start moving to other options now.
Cubase 8/9 • Pro Tools 12 • Reason 9.x
FXpansion : DCAM Synth Squad, Strobe 2, Geist, Geist 2, Etch & Bloom

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon (32GB Ram) OSX 11.10.6
UAD Apollo Quad • MOTU 828 mk2 & mk3 • TC Powercore Firewire (32Lives)

Return to “Geist2”