What's going on? - Page 14 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

What's going on?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Lawrence_fx

Re: What's going on?

Postby Lawrence_fx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi all,

A new public beta, v2.1.0.2, is now available in your FXpansion account. Please let us know of any issues in the following topic, where you can find the release notes for this update - viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7633942

Thanks!

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 am

Too little too late.
Just popped in the say.. happy almost Feb day.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:Too little too late.

Well... see how things go first. There's an update, like they said there would be, and you don't know how things are going to go from here - it could be the beginning of an update cycle that fixes and adds everything that you've been wanting.
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Kickflip wrote:
CakeAlexS wrote:Too little too late.

Well... see how things go first. There's an update, like they said there would be, and you don't know how things are going to go from here - it could be the beginning of an update cycle that fixes and adds everything that you've been wanting.

Sure. There is an update. But look at how long it took them from their first promise to actually releasing it. It's jawdropping long.
And then look what's fixed in this release - underwhelming for sure!
And the final thing I don't understand - why is this a .1 update? Only bugfixes are not enough to increment the minor release digit IMHO. So why does this update deserve a .1 increment?

So - not impressed at all. Let's see if there are more updates addressing more of the many issues and suggestions...
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win10 Pro x64, Studio One Pro, Bitwig Studio, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:03 am

Well, sure. I hate the fact that I still can't prevent the song pattern display from following the currently playing pattern. They had that in Guru, and I requested it be put back into Geist 1 *very* early in its life cycle. I don't really hold much hope for it going into Geist 2 in the near future, but some update is better than no update.

This is what happens with updates, people get frustrated that their particular bugbears weren't sorted, and it's understandable. While there could have been more tweaks and new features I am personally glad that something's actually been released rather than continuing the silence!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 am

IMHO this is try to keep the plebs happy update like last time around.

What happened last time round was a fairly small update, and a follow up a month or so later to sort out regression issues with the patch and a few major crashes, and then disappear off into nowhereland.

My prediction is something similar this time around, perhaps another small release (maybe even another small one after that - that would be wishful thinking however) and then... bye! See you in 2019..!

I notice the stuff written in the release notes from last time around has simply disappeared...

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:I notice the stuff written in the release notes from last time around has simply disappeared...

What stuff is that?

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:My prediction is something similar this time around, perhaps another small release (maybe even another small one after that - that would be wishful thinking however) and then... bye! See you in 2019..!

It is a symptom of a corrupt and decaying world; this cyclical, perpetual exploitation of basic human needs. It is a tactic of empire learned through many a bloody revolution - to feed the masses with the crumbs of bread and appease them with distraction, quietening the inevitable cries for revolt. PR in the modern vernacular. 8) :roll: :) Or somefing loike that.

In a parallel universe:
- Bugs/glitches are fixed
- UI is optimised/updated
- Performance improved
- Polyphonic recording is introduced.
- In true Microsoft style, FX skip all v3 point updates and release Geist4 at NAMM 2019 along with its dedicated hardware controller/host and supplemental Maschine and Akai controller maps.
As a gesture of good will a free update is provided to all existing users with a 10% discount on the controller/host purchase.

Back in the real world:
It's a pretty damn fine way of sampling VCV creations for polyphonic/stacked playback. Now only if that looping issue was sorted.
Check it out.
Last edited by FluxMachina on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:I notice the stuff written in the release notes from last time around has simply disappeared...

Kickflip wrote:What stuff is that?

Tons of it.
Compare release notes between previous versions to see. I can't possibly start listing everything for you.

Happy March 2018" BTW.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 pm

I have a suspicion the original coders aren't around any more which is why the project has ground to a halt. This is really complicated software. Computers are magic.

With the resurgence of drum machines these days it's madness to not put some time into this and fix it up. FX (you) could get so many new customers by simply demonstrating that everything that's done by the likes of Evolution, TR8s and all can be done in Geist with ease. Make the foundation solid and they will come.

Madness!

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 pm

So true...As I said before.Ive owned nearly every drum machine and sampler of late and the past. And there is a resurgence of people wanting the groove box workflow. Seriously Geist needs some tweaking a few more options. And it could give back what people are leaving their daws for, like the akai samplers,digitakt etc...But in a kind of Dawless environment. I know people ditching Their Daws who have been using them for years. For the beauty of hands on and the less is more approach forcing interesting creative results. For me Geist does that for me almost! Spec wise it blows any Groove box hard or soft. Even ableton have stolen a few ideas and thrown them into their latest release. Its a bit of a dark horse, its misunderstood and has hidden depths, its not some thing you just open up and learn in a few days, although you can get the basics down pretty quickly. But to conquer Geist it takes some serious thought. As with Tremor and strobe they take many many many hours to find the "I get it moment" their products are an entire universe in themselves but it don't come easy. The guys at Fxpansion I think are geniuses but kind of clueless ones at that lol..So guys if you are listening, sometimes you guys piss me off, I want to throw my computer out the window, but other times I'm left speechless and in awe both at the same time.Im no idiot I've produced on albums with guys like the Stereo mcs,Recorded with the royal philharmonic orchestra for film,come runners up in the PRS and mcps composer awards last year, had music on mtv and 100s of other TV shows and countless Tv adverts..I haven't opened my Daw for months only to do the odd drum sound in Tremor and a few vocals.Its been spent doodling in Geist, what you can do with sounds in this thing is amazing.But for god sake smooth it out, bolt on a few more things like mute on clip, triplet, maybe shorter note values rather than just 16ths without the need of always using gate mode,smooth out the zoom function when using longer audio,the clipping thing with timestretch,also polyphony could help...And maybe the ability to house all your products in its own self contained environment so you could sample from a synth or use tremor in conjunction with Geist etc..Your ahead of the crowd in terms of concept just smooth out the workflow.Then Im there all the way for future products and ideas.Even if I rant my head off...

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I remember the days when your rants were aimed at us for having the audacity to say there's things we want tweaked :lol:

Geist is a behemoth with loads of great features, but there's still some things missing or not quite ready. My big two are the envelopes being fiddly - if you have the decay section of a sample finely tuned but want to tweak the attack, you'd better be prepared to finely tune that decay again, because that's what you're going to have to do.

The second one is not being able to work on a different pattern to the one currently playing. Was in Guru and I've asked for this to be put back into Geist 1 since day 1. Completely puts me off using Geist for writing drum fills because it just kills the flow.

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:55 pm

My rants in the past was just a bit of banter lol was just pissing around..Sorry if I have hurt your feelings.But looking back I now see the frustration you guys were having. And now you have converted me to the dark side.I got a track nearly finished that I did in this thing from top to bottom will post up soon. Nice little mellow techy electronic house thing, nice way to get acquainted with it,but working on some sound design hip hop thing after.look forward to some of you other guys posting some up also.Why don't we create a community of creative works along side with us bitching lol..Might ease the suffering we are all going through..But yes the envelopes could really be simplified by at least 70 percent way over engineered and fiddly to handle.So we agree on something....

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:14 pm

What do you think when the next beta / update will come in?

Let's try a prediction:

2.0.6.5 - 2016/07/14
2.0.7.53 - 2017/03/31 (+ 8.5 months)
2.1.0.2 - 2018/01/12 (+ 9.5 months)

2.1.1.24 - 2018/11/30 (+10.5 months)

Amazing! :!:
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win10 Pro x64, Studio One Pro, Bitwig Studio, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

kneecapped

Postby kneecapped » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Maybe Geist is a metaphor for us all becoming ghosts before the next release?Or maybe the updates are like ghosts, rarely seen?Or maybe Fxpansions are treating us all like Ghosts hoping we will all fadeaway and go and buy a roland or digitakt?Or maybe we should all drown ourselves with spirits and hang on in desperation?Im pissed others get to go through this misery for half the money i paid for it...Seems unfair...

Return to “Geist2”