Geist 2 crashing - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist 2 crashing

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

ptaber

Geist 2 crashing

Postby ptaber » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi, I'm having problems with Geist 2.0.6.5 constantly crashing. I usually run it in Live 9 on a Mac running Yosemite 10.10.5. I just did a fresh reinstall of the current version and am having the same problems as before.

Geist will crash:

--when I navigate into certain folders in the browser
--when I am using long samples in the pads
--when I am relying extensively on the "Random" modulation function
--when layers are set to "Looping"

...but also other unrelated times. Geist also crashes under these conditions in standalone.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Kayvon

Re: Geist 2 crashing

Postby Kayvon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:45 am

I'm getting a lot of crashes on OSX 10.11.6 Geist build 2.0.6.5 in standalone.

Best thing it seems is just grab the crash report and send it to FXpansion support.

It's a bit of shonky build tbh, not what I'd expect from FXpansion, hoping the next update will be a big one with lots of fixes. I'm not even using Geist yet for music, just setting up the MIDI mapping and the show is stopping with tedious regularity.

There are on it and I still love Geist so I'm still the faithful.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi, thanks for your detailed description regarding the crashes you're experiencing. Are there any particular folders that can cause a crash with certainty, or does the behaviour seem 'random'? Were there any particular functions/controls you had enabled when crashes occurred with long samples and with Looping set as the playback mode?

Also, which version of Live 9 are you currently running?

Thanks!

ptaber

Postby ptaber » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi @Lawrence_fx, thanks for the reply.

To respond to your questions:

Are there any particular folders that can cause a crash with certainty, or does the behaviour seem 'random'?

I had an unrelated technical problem with my computer and ended up upgrading my RAM. I am not able to crash Geist 2 just by going into folders anymore, so I am assuming this was memory related (went from 4 to 16GB). I used to be unable to go into folders with large numbers of samples in them, for example some of the folders in my NI Battery library, or large folders of home recorded sounds.

Were there any particular functions/controls you had enabled when crashes occurred with long samples and with Looping set as the playback mode?

I can still crash Geist 2 by loading a kit that uses the "Random" modulation source. So for example I have a kit where I assigned the Random function to the loop start and end points for 7 pads, and Geist 2 really doesn't like that apparently. I have the filter module activated on those pads, otherwise there isn't anything too complex going on in the patch. It seems stable at very low BPMs, so maybe this is a memory issue again? But my RAM is maxed out...

Also, which version of Live 9 are you currently running?

I am running 9.7.1, 64 bit.

Love the software, and the addition of modulation is killer. I just need to get to a point where it's a little more stable. Thanks,

pete

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Pete,

Please feel free to send any kits/presets that are causing these crashes to support@fxpansion, and I shall take a look at reproducing these crashes in-house, which will give us a better understanding of what could be causing the issue. Also, if you have any recent crash logs (along with steps of how to reproduce the crash), please open a new support ticket in Technical Support, and we'll get back to you.

Return to “Geist2”