Farewell Fxpansion! - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Farewell Fxpansion!

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

Melleymeldew

Farewell Fxpansion!

Postby Melleymeldew » Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Ok enough is enough. This thing crashes more than N.A.S.A.I've lost so much work and banged my head for long enough trying to get this thing to run smoothly. Its fiddly its awkward and its one of the most unstable pieces of software I have ever paid for.And trust me I have given this piece of unfinished kit all the time and excuses in the world.It doesn't record accurately when playing notes in,it has graphical problems in the editor. The transmod jumps all over the place when sample function is used and also when work is saved and reopened. Having to press control alt every time for drags and copying or for whatever kills the workflow of a drum sampler when a simple multi tool would be the answer. The slice function is fiddly and the zooms are ridiculous, the adsr function is a nightmare to use and bugged to death. I gave this months and months of my time and as I work for music to picture I can no longer afford crashes or scream at the damn thing for lost time work and hours. Its not on guys! Its not fair to good paying customers that invest time and money into products that are simply not up to scratch. I know there is always teething problems with most products on first release and it can take months to get up to scratch but this is nearly 2 years old and it doesn't hold up even in the most basic of ways, the truth is it should never have been released in the state it was. So for my sins I have decided to fork out for a pioneer toraiz.Expensive maybe? But I've had about 20 crashes on Geist in the last few weeks which probably amounts up to 400 to 500 pound of time wasted in days. So I'm nearly half way to buying the damn thing anyway. And sadly that's the way I see it.A product should flow seamlessly be uncomplicated well designed and seem effortless in usability.Im not sure what is happening at the Fxpansions office or if its a young team or inexperienced staff or programmers but something seems wrong?The feedback here from staff members is not all that great. If I had a product customers were not happy with id be breaking my own arm in trying to reassure users and even give out some apologies for the mistake's. But what seems strange is I get offers in my email from you guys recommending sample packs and sound expansion for a product that wont run them with consistency. Its not very gentlemanly and slightly ignorant and a smack in the face To those waiting for a product they paid good money for to simply just work the way it was advertised. Music is my life and time is my life and one I don't want to waste or pay for.I hope one day Fxpansions address the problems, I know akai went through similar problems and even roland with releasing products way below par and with basic functions' not working as promised in the last 10 years.I also was a sucker for a few of those items and they have lost my custom and I'm not sure if they can be trusted again even with new products in the pipeline it cost me too much money.I also went through this with pro tools in the mid 2000s and they also lost my trust.If anybody is interested in buying Geist or tremor from me let me know I'm sure somebody with more patience can grind something out of them.Farewell to those with more tolerance persistence time and money than me....
Last edited by Melleymeldew on Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway

Re: Farewell Fxpansion!

Postby mholloway » Fri May 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Sounds rough!

Though the 'tolerance and patience' you think we need -- I don't have 90% of the issues you're complaining about. Your assumption that because it's bad on your end = it's bad for everyone else is, well, incorrect.

It sucks you're having so many issues, and it's also a bit baffling. Yes, Geist2 has bugs, I've hit my share of issues, but recent updates have already fixed some of them and, in fact, it hasn't crashed on me in weeks at this point.

anyway, have fun wherever you land.

Melleymeldew

Postby Melleymeldew » Fri May 12, 2017 6:36 pm

My toraiz has arrived today.....Good luck with Geist however it works for you....However I did see one of your more recent posts?
Or maybe its just somebody else with the same name as you?

Postby mholloway » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:03 am
Sadly, I've been testing the new build throughout the day, and it's crashing Ableton Live like crazy.

Live was running solid, I updated Geist, been using it in a bunch of sessions last night / today, and they are all are frequently crashing when I try to re-open them, or crashing while I'm tweaking in Geist (as plugin).

Haven't tested much in standalone yet.

quantize

Postby quantize » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Did u contact FXpansion for support?

You'll probably have more problems with that attitude no matter what you buy or use...you could put ur system specs here so other users can replicate and we can get some bugs properly squashed!

Understand the frustration but rants like that are an utter waste of ur energy.
Cubase 10 • Pro Tools 12 • Reason 10.x
FXpansion : DCAM Synth Squad, Strobe 2, Geist, Geist 2, Etch & Bloom

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon (32GB Ram) OSX 10.13.6
UAD Apollo Quad • MOTU 828 mk2 & mk3

Melleymeldew

Postby Melleymeldew » Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 am

The product either works or it doesn't and sadly my friend this one is not up to scratch. That's my attitude problem.Good luck kids with the bugs and reporting back to fxpansion for another year hanging on in desperation hoping you will get the product you all hoped for 2 years ago.I didn't pay for "Not quite working or its nearly there but it still crashes sometimes"...I've said my piece and I'm not looking to trade blows with Forum super heroes or people that are in denial and just as pissed as me with this product but wont face the truth because they paid for it and cant let go..."" 2 years and its still flawed and badly programmed and a serious pain in the arse to use.Its used up enough of my time money and frustration. Its not my job to report back to them and tell them they haven't done there job correctly and be a paying lab rat. Enough is enough there are better options out there and I hope they learn from mistakes .Don't release something unless it works..Its a simple principle and one that should be practiced and not ignored.Farewell and Bon voyage...

kneecapped

Hes right

Postby kneecapped » Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 am

Not sure why the guys on this forum are bashing you dude?
I want to love Geist but I also have been through hell with it! And for those saying its running smoothly and haven't encountered any issues whatsoever are just deluded fools. Both my friends have the product and now it sits on their drives not being used because of the issues. Forget computer specs and bug reports everything I read here has been raised by others on the forum. Ignore the pissed users that live in denial ha!Geist is sucking big time at the moment.Feel sorry for the new guys that just purchased it.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Mon May 15, 2017 12:34 am

I hear you both. This is not a product for professionals at present and is borderline for amateur dabblers.
I just got Maschine and am really impressed. The first time I bought it about a year ago there were problems with two units in a row. Some pads would not reach full velocity without really hitting them hard and there was a pad that had hanging notes. I thought to myself, if this is industry standard then f@ck the industry. I had honestly lost faith in music tech after that and the budget Trigger Finger, half baked so-called, Pro. Geist2 came along and, wow, what an inspiration. 64 Pads, yeah, superb; wild tuning possibilities way beyond the silly limitations of V1 and transmod insanity. Hope...

Then the bugs; the poor efficiency of the gui (80% utilisation of a core causing glithes), weird graphical errors that shouldn't have passed alpha testing, crashes during basic editing and loading, glitchy looping, strange audio artefacts, a long list of acknowledged and unresolved bugs, an update that made it more stable but introduced more obvious problems.

If it get's fixed then great but at this point it's extremely doubtful that it will. It's still useful to me as an idea generator but I couldn't trust it to deliver for any serious projects if ever this dabbling bollocks becomes something more. It looks like there might be too much wrong with it for the time and resources to be invested. That's the impression that's being given by the inaction anyway. Hat's off to Lawrence for keeping the communication going and acknowledging peoples concerns.

M-Audio went down the same route with the Trigger Finger Pro. It was hardware with serious potential unmatched in it's range but marred by a complete lack of development and unresolved issues. It's a dead product now, useful but flawed.

Imho it is morally questionable to have Geist 2 on sale right now but good luck anyway FX. BFD is your flagship so I hope whatever energy and resources you have left are being channelled into that and the new Roli initiative. I will keep milking Geist 2 for every bit of enjoyment it offers. :) The glass is half full and half empty.

konfront

Postby konfront » Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am

^^^ what s/he said.

All they do is dole out expanders. All this new influx of users on the forums, all bound for disappointment, head banging, and regret. I agree with the dubious choice of keeping it on sale despite its 1 year+ of being semi-alpha level.

Even Some members on this thread who've been ridiculing people for complaining about the damned thing have done 180s.

It's neither a product for professionals or amateurs. Just for sado-masochists who enjoy wasting time and money while being sold more useless things as balms

mholloway

Postby mholloway » Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 pm

konfront wrote:^^^ what s/he said.

All they do is dole out expanders. All this new influx of users on the forums, all bound for disappointment, head banging, and regret.

FWIW, this is exactly what the long-time, would-be hardcore Maschine users say on a regular basis over in the Maschine forum. Though it's worse there, because instead of evolving (and fixing) core elements of Maschine itself, all NI did was release a whole new hardware product, the Jam (and of course release a million expansion sound banks).

My point being, nobody's really happy, anywhere, insofar as the "all in one drum solution" is concerned. It's more about making what is out there work for you, warts and all. There is no 'does it all' piece of kit.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Couldn't agree more. Maschine is awesome, but, the software has crashed several times (nothing unrecoverable - it might be because of the vst being hosted) and I think Geist's implementation of sample layering is far superior as are it's filters. I can't fault the hardware though. It's really well thought out and would make an excellent standalone midi controller if it could store its own presets and do internal mapping like the TFP.

Akai has come the closest so far to a modern spin with the X. The Live is great too but doesn't have enough controls for my liking. Screens and more screens. :) The competition is going to be good for everyone.

konfront

Postby konfront » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

mholloway wrote:]

FWIW, this is exactly what the long-time, would-be hardcore Maschine users say on a regular basis over in the Maschine forum. Though it's worse there, because instead of evolving (and fixing) core elements of Maschine itself, all NI did was release a whole new hardware product, the Jam (and of course release a million expansion sound banks).

Sucks that the status quo is vendors practically stealing our money. Because, calling a spade a spade, that's what is happening here, init - taking our money for a product or products that fall way below their price. Boy would I love to be proven wrong in the coming months with fxpansion but for now, they're gonna be one of those unscrupulous vendors that are just trying to make a quick buck at our cost.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Wed May 17, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Melleymeldew,

I can't actually find your serial or any authorizations on your account, or any license transfers so it seems you never actually owned the plugin. For that reason I'm going to lock the thread.

To everyone else: I know it all seems quiet but we are cranking away at new builds and we do have a log of every bug reported and we will get to them in due course.

Return to “Geist2”